1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Jul 1, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Rangers are looking like a shell of the team they were last year. Figuratively and literally (who is injured and/or was injured and sidelined over the past few games? I think it's Nash, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Asham, Powe. Maybe more?)

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Though its nice to see the future stars get some ice.

Ridiculous facial hair courtesy of a long playoff run...down 0-2 in the Finals, best of 5/ Lost Game 1 4-3 after hitting the underside of the cross bar with 19 seconds left, lost Game 2 5-3 with an empty netter and pulled out a tough win in OT last night 5-4 to make it a series...2 goals 2 assists for yours truly. Game 4 Thursday night...I'm pumped.

[​IMG]

3. Kajak

Kajak Well-Known Member

4. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Much like USA vs Trinidad & Tobago in Mighty Ducks 2!:embar:

6. gomestar

i am amazed that Nash only had a goal and an assist last night.

7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Something I find even more ridiculous about the situation:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GM Feaster released a statement afterwards saying "well you can interpret the CBA two ways, and we chose to interpret it in the way that meant he wouldn't have to clear waivers, but the Avs matched the offer anyways so no further comment." Then the league released a statement saying "we agree that its a non-issue because the Avs matched the offer, so no further comment." So Feaster took a huge gamble based on his interpretation of the CBA and the league declined to offer a definitive statement on the matter.

Yes Feaster, I'm sure your good intentions would have explained to Flames fans how you lost a 1st and a 3rd for nothing while simultaneously losing ROR to waivers. Brilliant.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  8. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Ok , the more I read into the nitty gritty the more it seems like Feaster was right. Still.. Not really prudent to gamble with a high first rounder.

9. gomestar

might head to MSG tonight to check out the Flyers at Rangers. First will be the obligatory "wait until the last minute" SubHub crawl.

10. gomestar

great win by the Rangers. Fun as hell game too, emotions aplenty.

A few observations:
    - The Rangers looked hard and tough to play against, especially along the boards.
    - PK still looks crappy, but Philly looked great on the PP.
    - Callahan is such a leader. The 1st period penalty against him and last minute trip on him no-call were awful. Whatever, 2 goals tonight.
    - JT Miller looks great for a 19 year old. He hasn't necessarily produced a lot, but he plays smartly and with great poise. Miller >>> Kreider this season (hence Kreider to AHL).
    - Nash. Every time he touches the puck you keep your eyes wide open in anticipation.
    - My stomach is still in my throat from seeing Staal on the ice. Ugh.

11. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

fuck fuck fuck fuck staal fuck :(:(:( that looked awful.

i hope like hell that he's okay. poor bastard. i hope he isn't the next berard, ugh. just terrible.

don't look

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  12. gomestar

crazy how the helmet shook from the overall impact.

I guess the one minor comfort factor is it looks like the edge of the puck hit right above the eye (i don't even want to think about how that feels), and then it kind of deflects to the upper cheek.

I hope it only hurts like hell and that's it. And I hope he wears a visor going forward.

13. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

yeah, its gotta suck when best case is a fractured orbital bone. i cant even think of how awful it would be if he got it right in the eye.

14. gomestar

i keep checking my twitter feed and other NHL new sources for updates on the severity of it all, but nothing yet. I find it kind of annoying that Torts is not a coach who likes to give updates like these.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  15. gomestar

Rangers picked up defenseman Hamrlik off waivers from the Caps. I'm assuming that's to make up for the loss of Staal.

16. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

Man, how do you not wear visors these days?!

17. gomestar

also, from an interview with Pronger:

... just in case anybody had any ray of hope of a return.

18. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Sad - the guy was a total beast and guaranteed HoF player. I saw the interview and it was odd to see this soft-spoken guy with glasses talking in contrast with the absolute terror he was on the ice.

Good news for Staal, too. As far as visors go, I think its silly that players aren't wearing them and I'm taking the position that Buffalo took with regards to Ryan Miller's mask. IIRC he has a mask that doesn't provide the best impact protection, so they had to come to terms on a reasonable compromise on what mask he would wear. Yeah, Miller's a goalie but the point is the same - while it is their career, its the team's investment. Without the team paying them, they don't have a career; they're an asset that belongs to the team. Without that asset, the team will do more poorly so it is right for the team to want their players to wear a visor.

Just because millions of miles are driven each day by millions of people without incident doesn't mean not wearing a seatbelt is okay.