1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Jul 1, 2012.

1. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Nah, childhood thing that stuck with me. Geographically, I should be a Leafs fan but I can't do that to myself. :laugh:

I think the BoA will finally start to slant towards Edmonton's favour this year after Calgary running amok the last few seasons. If Dubnyk can consistently perform like he did in the Spengler Cup, you guys have good things coming to you. Good pickup in getting Fistric for a 3rd; I think any team would do that. You guys have enough offensive talent to fill the net, so given some consistent defending the Oilers could be the surprise of the year.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

We're taking our kids to their first Islander game Monday. Great seats a few rows from the glass, $25 a ticket...family pack...stoked, already seeing the benefit of supporting a smaller "local" team rather than the Rags. We took our daughter to the Garden for her first NHL game, but this is my son's first. Will post pics.

3. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Well-Known Member

Nice to see that the new CBA is proving effective in not overpaying players. :facepalm:

4. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

I don't really see an issue with it, seems like he's underappreciated/pretty important to the team. Add in the departure of Parise and you have a guy who has a lot of leverage. The CBA took out all the front-loading funny business though.

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

He would have gotten a shorter deal (5 years?) with a higher AAV on the open market, guaranteed. Teams are always looking for competent 2-way 1st/2nd line centers.

6. Van Veen

Zajac's cap hit is lower than Jordan Staal's and the deal is for fewer years. Cap hit is in line with Grabovski's. Zajac's total contract is $46 million, which is almost 25% less than Staal's $60 million. I don't know what people expected from the lockout... it's not like miraculously salaries were going to drop 50%. If you want to look at stat lines these are comparable players.

7. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Glad we signed Zajac. Now slap the C on him and put him on the ice.

8. Van Veen

Redden signs with STL for 1yr and around $1m. Now who will pick up Gomez?

9. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

it's $800K for Redden. We'll see how he does, could be a bit of a steal for St. Louis if he performs well.

Rumors are that Anaheim is interested in Gomez.

10. NewYorkIslander

Honestly, both of these guys will be able to be had for a song, which will be great for anyone who signs them, as the players themselves already have cash in the bank from the Rangers and Canadiens. Low cost and something to prove...Gomez on the Island? Wishful thinking.

11. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Looks like Redden won't be a stay-at-home defenceman.

:rimshot:

12. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be that bad for cheap $. Gomez centering Ryan and Selanne....there could be worse things. Only concerns would be Gomez's defense/face-offs and tying up a roster spot for a prospect.

13. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

1.5 hours until glorious triple header action. Ottawa beats Winnipeg, leafs beat the habs and canucks roll over the ducks.

Hockey :slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  14. Van Veen

Word is Gomez is going West.

15. NewYorkIslander

Welp, that lasted long:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Make up your mind!

17. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Word on the street is Gomez signed in SJ.

18. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

I was watching the Leafs-Habs game in downtown Montreal, and I think I was the Leafs fan in attendance. I made a quiet exit post-game.

19. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

I was pretty surprised at how terrible Montreal was last night. I think they will have an atrocious season; I don't see anything on their roster that would make me expect greatness.

20. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

edit: oops

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013