1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Name pre-SF regrettable purchases.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 23, 2009.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

I bought a few JAB suits about 3 or 4 years ago. I only paid $100 for them, and I got 2 shirts and 2 ties with each. Between the shirts, ties, and the pants from the suits, I still get use out of them, so I can't call the purchases complete wastes, but the jackets fit like crap. That, combined with SF, made me less confident in the knowledge of retail store employees.

PS: I bought those suits years ago, and I stopped wearing them years ago. I don't want anyone to think that I only recently realized the difference between clothes that do and don't fit well.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. tsmith

tsmith Member

Here are my regrets:

• A black DKNY suit that I wore to several job interviews after college.
    • Trousers from Zara's made with polyester, rayon and elastin. To be fair they looked great when I bought them but aged terribly.
    • In general, clothes and suits that were 2 sizes too large.

3. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

Mine are dress shirts with sleeves too short. And a Tommy Hilfiger suit that's too strong in the shoulders. I know TH gets dissed here a lot for low-quality, but the price was right and apart from the shoulders it looks good on me.

4. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

A Brioni second hand suit....

It was awful and ill fitted...

Binned it..

5. atoms

atoms Well-Known Member

I hate this thread because I feel like you're all just mocking me :)

6. aperson

aperson Well-Known Member

My biggest regrets:

Things that I spent more than $500 on:

- Harris tweed jacket from jcrew (shoulder pads like david byrne)
    - Bizzarre fitting jacket from armani exchange
    - Suit from men's warehouse ($950, and I thought it was such a good deal because it was made it italy!)

Things that I didn't spend that much on, but wasted space in my closet:

- Burgundy square toe loafers that I picked up at nordstrom. I use them to mow the lawn.
    - A whole bunch of poorly fitting shirts
    - A whole bunch of poorly fitting pants

7. justsayno

justsayno Well-Known Member

A bunch of ill fitting shirts. Darlton loafers that don't fit. Stuff that look good on the website but not good on me. RL cashmere sweaters that I grew out of.

8. HughJ

HughJ Well-Known Member

Many years prior to SF: a ridiculous black suit. The jacket bordered on a bum freezer, and it had extremely thin lapels. The trousers were low rise. The fabric may have had polyester in it. :facepalm:

Not too much prior: Gucci and Prada shoes. Live and learn.

9. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

My first major suit purchase:

A Hugo Boss evening suit that was 2 sizes too big. The SA at Harry Rosen convinced me it would also be appropriate for the office, when it obviously wasn't (I didn't know any better).

A Hugo Boss SC that was purchased around the same time as the above (three button!) and was also one size too big.

10. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

A Tom Ford black suit, nothing goes with the tone, hence I sold it for a great lose.

11. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Well-Known Member

I have to say that nearly every suit I purchase before SF was too large. While I was unknowledgeable in such things,I blame the Nordrstrom's sales associates who let me walk out the door looking like a dork.

The funny thing is, I suspect most people really did not even notice the suits were one size too big....

12. Jermyn

Jermyn Well-Known Member

Fused MTM suits from Thailand.
    Jeffrey West shoes
    White snakeskin cowboy boots (sold these for more than I paid for them on eBay though) :slayer:
    Zara dress shirts
    Enormous numbers of ill fitting, rock band, tour t-shirts

I also own a black Versace suit with 5 button cuffs, bought for $500 at Century 21.
    I almost never have occasion to wear it but it fits me well and hasn't fallen apart yet...

I think that early days of SF can be a far more onerous time than pre-SF, with regards to regrettable purchases.
    A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

13. Panda Monium

Panda Monium Member

I fell deep into the marketing trap like it was the pit from Mortal Kombat. Bachrach jacket, Calvin Klein suit that fit like a potato sack and was about as pleasing to the touch, regular Ralph Lauren Polo, Men's Wearhouse brands with Italian sounding names, Abercrombie and Buckle jeans that ripped like the Incredible Hulk's purple pants when you tell him he's being audited. Flared Abercrombie cords. Jos. A Banks pleated and cuffed trousers that looked like Hammer pants. There were some pieces that still worked from a style/value perspective that I still love, but it took far too many head-shaking pieces to get there.

Now, it's time for style payback and the retail chains and overvalued volume brands won't know what hit 'em. Just 3 weeks until my first batch of Measure Up MTM shirts come in slayer:

14. Bortelli

Bortelli Well-Known Member

bump.

Oh God My Aston Greys. I bought these in 8th grade.

I thought these were awesome because[​IMG] it had no laces. BTW does anyone know any good laceless black dress shoes? :) [​IMG]

Opinion on these shoes?

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. darryl20

darryl20 Member

I admit having the velvet suit moment back in the day. Not good at all.

16. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

A Paul Fredrick Sportscoat [​IMG]
    Polyester Pants [​IMG]
    I once bought a Kenneth Cole Polyester SC[​IMG]