• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name pre-SF regrettable purchases.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
Where did you buy fake 7 fold ties - from ebay?

Ok don't shoot me - I bought a number of them at Thomas Pink (oh, those dark pre-SF days) and a couple in outlet stores, and yes, one on E-bay. After someone gave me a REAL seven-fold tie, I realized the errors of my ways.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Lots and lots of overpriced, rubber-soled Prada dress shoes back in the day.
Same here - square toed ones too.
frown.gif
I've been anti-pleat for a while, but I did actually just buy a pair of pleated Alexander McQueen pants, though they are casual (I bought these from Gilt: http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...&sts=sr_men80). I think they have a certain retro-effect and would look good with a slim pique polo shirt. Of course, I just got them back from being altered today so we'll see how much I like them after I wear them
wink.gif

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of Kenneth Cole shoes, and another pair of square toed shoes. Also my Prada and D&G stuff.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Mannix... do they look anything like these?
smile.gif
These Kenneth Coles are honestly amazingly comfortable, but in retrospect they are pretty hideous. You can tell I wore the crap out of them...
2d2fzh4.jpg

laphroaig

Reaction score
Several odd jackets and the suit you can see in my very first post here. I didn't know what to look for in a well fitting suit. Over time those mistakes cost me over 1.5k in total.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get ready for this one... Note, that this was in high school, and it was a semi-gift. The salesman should be shot for this one...

Tasso Elba [Macy's brand]
Black Suit
3 Button [no roll]
No vents
Double pleated trousers.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my biggest mistake. Custom Gucci loafers in Boa. The wasted money could have gotten me a fine pair of C&J:

gucci_loaf1.jpg

gucci_loaf2.jpg

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are those guccis? Would be interested if they are my size just because they are so flashy.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
What size are those guccis? Would be interested if they are my size just because they are so flashy.

US 10D. Worn only a few times.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Those loafers look like they belong on a 1970s street pimp, but for some godforsaken reason, I kinda like them.

LexSenthur

Reaction score
White socks
cheap shoes
more than anything just NOT shopping around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads