1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

This pair is the most flamboyant one I've seen from the brand. Wonder how it will age.
    [​IMG]

2. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

wj4 return asap and save regrets. mike868y is that you in the picture or from a company's facebook page? any how good fit just a preference i would have patched up one of the knees.

3. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Lol. I didn't buy, bro. I just took a picture to show how flamboyant it is.

1 person likes this.
  4. jittery zeitgeist

jittery zeitgeist Well-Known Member

I contacted Le Bel Homme and they told me they'd receive the new collection within the next week. Hopefully the Okayama Spirit can compete with the Oni Collabo/Japan Heritage..

5. Arsenal

Arsenal Well-Known Member

Very happy with my Okayama Spirits. Easily comparable to the Onis/Japan Heritage. Perhaps, even better.

6. Lokesh

Lokesh Well-Known Member

Hey guys, a few years ago, I picked up a pair of Organic Indigo (natural indigo) Weird Guys which had a really great texture to them and they faded so well. Unfortunately I bought these right when I was on a weight loss thing and had lost a LOT of weight. I've since kind of "normalized" and gained another 3-4 lbs making them just too tight to wear. They were a size 30.

Do they make this exact style/material any more? I haven't been successful finding many sellers that stock this, and the ones that do, don't have a choice of sizes. I'm guessing if I sized up one to say 31, they will work well for me.

Ideas on where I can pick these up online or locally in NYC?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The most anticipated denim of the Naked & Famous Fall/Winter '13 lineup has arrived...the Okayama Spirit! The Okayama Spirit denim is a heavy, 16oz, slubby, unsanforized denim that is definitely a contender for our favorite Naked & Famous fabric yet. The denim is currently offered in Slim Guy (available here) and Weird Guy (available here) fits, with Super Skinny Guy on the way. Lets dive into the details!
    [​IMG]
    The denim draws inspiration the Japan Heritage line, but takes the concept to a new level. It is produced in the same very small, boutique-like denim mill that specializes in artisan denim. The mill can boast brands such as Samurai and Oni. The amazing slubby, handwoven-like texture of the fabric is among the best of its kind. We're seriously impressed with this new offering from Naked & Famous. While the fabric is unsanforized, it has been hot iron pressed which removes much of the shrinkage. You can expect .25"-.5" in the waist and .5"-.75" in the inseam.
    [​IMG]
    The other details on the jean keep up with the quality of the denim. A 10oz natural vegetable tanned patch on the back makes for a solid compliment which will age along with the jeans. The denim has custom "Naked & Famous" buttons, and custom "JE T'ADORE TOUTE NUE" rivets. The coin pocket sports a selvedge line across the top on the slim guy and a hidden selvedge detail on the weird guy. As always, the denim is sewn in Canada.
    [​IMG]
    The slubby nature of the yarn can be seen in the red and white selvedge. This jean makes for a perfect standard indigo denim for those that want to see more character in the denim.

8. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

not me just saw it on facebook and thought they were a badass looking pair. i posted a picture of my indigo WGs in waywt the other day...

[​IMG]

my fourth year or so with them, although i don't wear them every day. been repaired in the crotch twice, still going strong!

my n&f x bj pair is almost due for a wash/repair as well. gonna be due for a fresh pair of raws sometime next year, although I might try out some 3sixteens.

9. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Well-Known Member

Terrible outfit.

10. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

Looks terribly comfortable to me. Mikey you should save up and grab some outer from EG :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  11. punklance

punklance Active Member

hurry up green weft, and wax coated!

12. squintzz

squintzz Active Member

are all recent n&f denims getting shorter inseams or something? i just checked out the okayama spirit measurements from blueowl and its only 33.5" inseam. its unsanfornized too so its gonna approx 0.5".....
    on a side note, the slim guy fit for these sounds awesome (except for the inseam)

13. jittery zeitgeist

jittery zeitgeist Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused about the Okayamas being unsanforized but heat pressed. Shall they be soaked initally or not?
    Can it be assumed that the denim will stretch back out to pre-soak measurements?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  14. Shogyo Mujo

Shogyo Mujo Active Member

your not the only confused one. I thought being heat pressed made it sanforized?

15. jarlean

jarlean Active Member

So I'm finally breaking in my first pair of raw denim, N&F Dirty Fade weird Guys in a size 29, now that Georgia weather isn't "total fucking swamp" weather. I'm moving to Seattle come the end of this year, though, and while these jeans fit great, the thighs are a little bit snug (for now, they should stretch more I'm assuming, haven't worn them nearly enough yet). I'm looking for something that will give me a bit more room / looser fit for biking around, though, and was wondering whether I should A) Just go up a size in the WGs to a 30/31 or B) Try out the Slim Guys. Aren't Slim Guy a slightly bigger/baggier fit? Although I saw someone up above mention that the newer Slim Guys are a bit more slim then before...

Any advice would be great, thanks guys!

16. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

cool bro, appreciate your input.

just threw the vest over what i was wearing because i wanted to see if it fit.

ceoceo, i have a bunch of eg outerwear

17. Arsenal

Arsenal Well-Known Member

Sanforization typically includes a water/steam. Not sure if the heat press method does.

18. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Well-Known Member

Slim Guys are definitely looser throughout than WGs, even with the new cut. If you're looking for a slightly roomier pair, I'd give them a shot; sizing up in the WGs will probably just make them too large in the waist (assuming you're happy with the waist size of your current pair).

19. jarlean

jarlean Active Member

Yeah I'm definitely happy with the waist on the 29 WGs, it's stretched out a bit since I purchased it (where I couldn't even button them up) and it fits basically like a dream now. The thighs are the only issue, and that's because I'm a cyclist, so...big ol' thighs.

I figured just sizing up in the WG wouldn't get me much. I'm assuming I should probably stick with a 29 for the Slim Guys, but I'll have to look at the measurements...

20. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

Its not exactly a traditional sanforization. Basically, the fabric was so bumpy and slubby that they had a really hard time sewing it into jeans, so they ironed it down to make it more uniform. A full sanforization would leave the fabric almost entirely flat and uniform, while these still have a ton of character in them.

You can either wear them raw or soak them, whatever is your preference. A cold soak will result in about .5" shrinkage, a hot soak in about .75". Because of the low tension weave you can expect them to stretch back out to pre-soak measurements eventually.

We've already taken it up with the guys at N&F about the super short inseams, it is regrettable that taller guys won't have a chance at this amazing fabric.