1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Myspace

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MetroStyles, Jun 21, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

For those of you not in the know, MySpace is a blog/networking tool used mostly by teenagers for annoying and superficial purposes. Furthermore, the web design is terrible. Visit it at myspace.com.

My question is, however, how other professionals view this kind of service. It seems like it has great potential as an easy networking/stay-in-touch kind of tool. If only I could get past my initial dislike of the type of people who popularized it, I could see it being a boon in the future.

I know a few people who use it for business purposes, not to meet girls or be "popular" online. My question is, have any of you folks used it for purposes other than getting laid or partying? Is there room for a professional niche on MySpace akin to networking in real life? To clarify, I am by no means aiming to replace old-fashioned face to face networking with the online equivalent, just considering adding it to the repertoire. Thoughts and experiences?

2. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    MySpace for business purposes is a bad idea. Regardless of how professionally your message is presented, it is tainted by association with all the baggage MySpace brings to the equation. Unless, of course, the demographic to which you wish to market your goods and/or services is of the type that frequents said site.

3. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

MySpace for business purposes is a bad idea. Regardless of how professionally your message is presented, it is tainted by association with all the baggage MySpace brings to the equation. Unless, of course, the demographic to which you wish to market your goods and/or services is of the type that frequents said site.

I'm sorry, let me clarify. I wasn't considering using it as a marketing or distributing tool, but more as a networking tool between myself and other working professionals as individuals. Do you still feel the same about it?

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    If the people you want to talk to habituate MySpace, then by all means use the site. Be prepared, however, to be lumped with all other MySpace users, which I think is not a particularly business-like segment of the population.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

6. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

FWIW - Unless you're in the entertainment industry, I would say that MySpace is useless for professional networking.

But there are lots of pictures of hot babes [​IMG] For an overview, check out this thread on the Bodybuilding.com forums...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=792746

7. tsloop

tsloop Well-Known Member

FWIW - Unless you're in the entertainment industry, I would say that MySpace is useless for professional networking.

But there are lots of pictures of hot babes [​IMG] For an overview, check out this thread on the Bodybuilding.com forums...

lol, thats one thread I always check out when I'm over on the misc forum.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

9. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

It works well for those in the music / entertainment industry because it is an easy way to showcase your comedy, music, etc to millions of people and build a fanbase. Better yet...it's free.

10. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I think a professional version of Myspace is a great idea. To keep it professional though, it would need brutal moderation, I think.

11. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Well-Known Member

I believe LinkedIn is more "professionally" oriented than myspace. It isn't meant for marketing/selling to others, but has more options oriented towards professionals networking. It'd be worth a look, from what I've heard.

I just graduated college, so Facebook is fine with me... but personally, if I met someone over 30 or 35 who was on myspace, I'd think they're a paedophile or something.

12. mbc

mbc Well-Known Member

There have been many professionally-oriented networking sites in the past. One of the largest: http://www.ryze.com

13. royal618

royal618 Well-Known Member

I'll second LinkedIn.

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

I'll second LinkedIn.
    Yes. Third.

15. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Isn't friendster more of an adult / professional site? I've never been on it but I've heard things...

16. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Why does the MySpace software suck so much? They have a multi-million dollar budget, are now owned by News Corp and they can't get this shit together? WTF.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Why does the MySpace software suck so much? They have a multi-million dollar budget, are now owned by News Corp and they can't get this shit together? WTF.

When has News Corp ever gotten its shit together? You are talking about probably the most hypocritical media company.

Jon.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Dude, preach it my funkadelic prole brotha.

Myspace is the tits sometimes but it's SERIOUSLY ANNOYING most of the other times.

19. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Just a friendly reminder, some companies do a background check on applicants via myspace and facebook and the like.

20. beefcake

beefcake Well-Known Member

Jesus christ monkeyballs. Making their daddies proud!