1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My weird sartorial weekend

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Montrachet, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Montrachet

Montrachet Well-Known Member

I stopped in at Brooks Brothers to have a look at these shoes. I asked the SA if they were made by C&J or AS. He said neither and explained Brooks Brothers owns the Peal & Co. name and makes shoes themselves to Peal & Co's original specifications. Huh? What?

Then I went across the street to Ralph Lauren to have a look at this coat, since I read it was possible to get it with the traditional velvet collar. The SA there claimed to not have one in stock, but said if I ordered online, to be sure I sized up if I was going to wear it over a suit. I was under the impression that dress overcoat sizes took into account that you'd be wearing them over a suit and you should buy one listed as the same size as your suit jacket. Am I wrong about that? Or is this just because Black Label is cut slimmer than normal?

2. ld111134

ld111134 Well-Known Member

Was this at Brooks Brothers' Mag Mile store? The SAs don't seem to be as knowledgable as the folks who work at the Rookery store. I have those exact same shoes and they're made by Crockett & Jones.

3. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Well-Known Member

I don't understand what's weird about any of this.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

It differs for overcoats, but with Black Label, I'd definitely size up if you intend to wear a suit under it.

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I stopped in at Brooks Brothers to have a look at these shoes. I asked the SA if they were made by C&J or AS. He said neither and explained Brooks Brothers owns the Peal & Co. name and makes shoes themselves to Peal & Co's original specifications. Huh? What?

They look a lot like my C&J Grosvenors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Montrachet

Yep. This was at the Mag Mile store. I think I'll avoid that one in the future when possible. Thanks for the pics NOBD, I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on these during the post-Thanksgiving sales apocalypse.

8. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yep. This was at the Mag Mile store. I think I'll avoid that one in the future when possible.
    I've had good experiences there.

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

+1. [​IMG]

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

Agreed. When I click open a thread titled "My weird sartorial weekend," I'm expecting stories about ayahuasca trips deep in the Peruvian rainforest, followed by waking up in a desert just outside of Reno, suddenly wearing a bespoke three-piece fashioned from the feathers of a bald eagle, slain in mid-flight by the author with his bare hands.

11. Montrachet

Agreed. When I click open a thread titled "My weird sartorial weekend," I'm expecting stories about ayahuasca trips deep in the Peruvian rainforest, followed by waking up in a desert just outside of Reno, suddenly wearing a bespoke three-piece fashioned from the feathers of a bald eagle, slain in mid-flight by the author with his bare hands.

Oh yeah. That happened as well. Sorry, it looks like I forgot to mention it in my original post. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

12. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

God, I just hate when that happens. Lately, I have taken to drinking fewer Manhattans.

13. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. That happened as well. Sorry, it looks like I forgot to mention it in my original post. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

well played.

14. kortex

kortex Well-Known Member

Those shoes are hot. I don't think I have any clothes that would go well with them though.

15. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

LOL. Well done, sir. I hope you remembered to eat the eagle's brain in order to gain its knowledge.

16. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

...when I click open a thread titled "My weird sartorial weekend," I'm expecting stories about ayahuasca trips deep in the Peruvian rainforest, followed by waking up in a desert just outside of Reno, suddenly wearing a bespoke three-piece fashioned from the feathers of a bald eagle, slain in mid-flight by the author with his bare hands.
    Oh yeah. That happened as well. Sorry, it looks like I forgot to mention it in my original post. Here's a pic: [​IMG]
    nice! [​IMG] thought Arrogant Bastard hit an ace, but you came up with a service return winner down the line! [​IMG]

17. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Well-Known Member

Was this at Brooks Brothers' Mag Mile store? The SAs don't seem to be as knowledgable as the folks who work at the Rookery store.
    +1
    The Rookery store has some very knowledgeable, long time BB people working the floor, with the exception of 1 or 2 people, Mag Mile doesn't. For any non-BBBF, I'd go to the Rookery store.

18. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Did you ask him for the phone number of the Peal factory and whether they accept visitors?