1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

OP's story has holes or is insufficient. It came across like he was given an unsatisfactory suit and told, "Well, wear it around for a bit, maybe you'll like it." Then there is this mystery third fitting on what appears a finished garment.

2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Well, here's a good one that the OP should look up -- (Don't try to) teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

3. Lovelace

Lovelace Well-Known Member

:)

Sometimes one needs to be elliptical, sometimes hyperbolic, or at other times parabolic but should avoid being tangential.

4. Lovelace

Was this suit the product of a 'collaborative' effort?

5. bboysdontcryy

He said he took his hands-off, and left it all to Mina.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why there's this perception that OP was "hands-on". He says here that he was "hands-off".

7. bboysdontcryy

Shit. I need eyeglasses. And I stand corrected.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Grab a few ties as you storm out.

Alpha. Move.

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

And if the fabric warrants it you could have a few ties made out of the shoddy suit.

10. Lovelace

The plot thickens...

Isn't Despos a tailor? If so, the OP should ask him whether or not the suit is salvageable. This is infinitely better than a bunch of knobs like us advising him but less fun.

:)

11. Lovelace

I just lurve the sympathy on here...

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Isn't Despos a tailor? Hiillllarious! One does not simply walk in to a Despos and have a suit made! Poppycock!

13. unbelragazzo

Despos is a tailor...but, talented as he is, he is limited by looking at a handful of still photos as opposed to seeing the suit in person, and also by the fact that it's a suit built by someone else.

Again, by far the best solution is to go to Mina herself. Explain what you don't like, and let her try to fix it.

If there's one thing I've heard tailors (I'm not talking about Mina in particular, this is near universal) complain about more than ANYTHING in customer interactions, it's customers trying to tell them how to do their jobs. I don't mean in the sense of responding to customer requests for a wider lapel or more shaping in the chest or things like that. I mean customers who come in with a list of alterations that they got from somebody on the internet - even if this someone is actually a tailor, but then usually it's not - and are now relaying to their tailor as, "OK, I need this taken in by 1 cm, then this part needs to be stitched in such and such a way, etc., etc.."

They take pride in their work and want to make you happy. If you tell them, "this part looks messy/feels to tight/looks this way when I wanted it another way," they will do their best to accommodate you, within reason. But they, like other people who take pride in their work, will resent being micromanaged, especially in a way that implies that they don't know what they're doing.

14. Lovelace

Maybe, just maybe, this tailoring deity will deign to offer an opinion or gasp! help the OP out. A sartorial deux ex machina.

We can only hope....and pray.

15. Lovelace

I know, but he is asking for opinions on here. The best, most level headed opinion would come from a tailor, who actually knows what he is talking about. One such sartorial god posts on here I beleive.

I learned this when I had my first suit made.

...25 years ago. ;)

16. unbelragazzo

The best opinion would be from the person that actually made the suit and can look at it in person. If OP is asking for an opinion on whether the suit looks good or not then fine - he's got that. Numerous posters have confirmed his suspicion that the suit needs work.

But as far as what needs to be done to it, it is best diagnosed and remedied by the person who made it. If they can't or won't fix it, then at that point you can talk about what to do about it.

17. Lovelace

Again, I know, but he is soliciting advice on here, and Despos is the person best able to offer that advice, on here.

18. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

Or at least demand a bunch of free stuff. It's the SF way.

19. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Demanding is too genteel. If you want to be a bawss, you've got to pillage.

All this talk of trusting a tailor is nonsense. Here's what you do--

As soon as you put the jacket on, before she starts the fitting, start ripping seams apart yourself. That (one) shows who's in charge and (two) allows you to more easily repin things (yourself, obviously) to how someone on the internet said they should be.

I really don't think you can go wrong with that approach. I'm 97% sure that's how the Duke of Windsor did it.

2 people like this.
  20. Lovelace

The Dook had his valet do it for him.