1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My Vass Purchase

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tdial, Mar 20, 2005.

1. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Rubbish. Nothing wrong with wearing bluchers with a suit.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

I haven't seen those Vass shoes in "reversed suede", but in the Edward Green sample book the reverse side of "reversed calf" looks totally different from normal calfskin. (I presume as the reverse side is left naturally and does not get treated with heat, wax and rollers in any way.)

Almost like country grain with distinct pebble pattern but in a kind of semi-matt (not matt, but not shiny like polished country calf either). I did meet John Garner of EG once and suggested that this would make rather nice shoes. He looked at me quite flabbergasted, obviously thinking that this was a weird idea: "Why not use country grain?"

I have subsequently seen, either Zegna or Ferragamo use that leather and it looks very nice indeed.

3. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

I don't mind that they look like worker shoes, because I intend to wear them to work.

Actually, the above sentence was indeed meant as a snappy retort, but there is some truth to it. I recently started a new job that is the dreaded business casual. So in addition to the abandoned 20+ suits hanging in my closet, there are quite a few cap toes in there as well. I needed a great looking shoe that had both elegance and the ability to wear sans jacket and tie (or at least sans suit). This one will be great for that, I think.

4. lisapop

lisapop Well-Known Member

I admire your shoes very much, *especially* the thicker sole.  I own Vass's monkstraps.  Enjoy them.  Regarding the sole, I have a pr. of bespoke shoes from Edward Green that are very elegant formal brogue shoes normally made with a *thin* sole, but in designing my shoes, Tony Gaziano and I agreed on eliminating the thin sole in favor of a thicker double sole design, and the results are very pleasing both aesthetically and in terms of comfort and durability.  Their elegance has not been diminished in the least.  Nor is the elegance of my JM Weston signature Demi Chasse shoes, widely regarded as among the most elegant shoes ever designed (and most copied), diminished by their nearly one-half inch thick soles.  So, you and your Vass shoes are that much more "soleful".
    Grayson

5. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

(tdial @ Mar. 20 2005,19:48) The Wingtip Reversed Suede with a bevelled waist on the P2 last.
    Well, I saw the shoe at the exposition as well, and they are very nice. Here's a question, though: since suede is usually just reversed calf, wouldn't reversed suede just be regular old leather?
    Have not seen the shoes in person (the picture looks quite smashing) -- but the leather looks a lot like what Hermes calls "distressed leather" -- they have an elastic-sided boot in such a leather at their store

6. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ Mar. 20 2005,20:58) they are derbies and so can not be worn with a suit
    Not wrong, just that is not dressy

7. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

All you recent Vass orderers, we expect lots of detailed pictures when they arrive.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

(marc37 @ Mar. 21 2005,09:47)
    they are derbies and so can not be worn with a suit
    Ernest, Both open and closed lace shoes can be worn with suits, and yes whilst close-laced shoes are dressier, open laced shoes do not fall so far behind them that they turn into sneakers. Jon.

9. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by ernest,Mar. 21 2005,10:19
    they are derbies and so can not be worn with a suit

Ernest, Both open and closed lace shoes can be worn with suits, and yes whilst close-laced shoes are dressier, open laced shoes do not fall so far behind them that they turn into sneakers. Jon.
    Yes, but they are behind... If i spend much money on shoes, I prefer them to be in front, not behind. Derby don't look sharp enough for me. Why taking derbies when for the same price you can have oxfords?

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Possible reasons:

1. It's more versatile and can be used with different types of clothing.

2. You already have oxfords from either Vass or a different manufacturer.

3. You like the derby/blucher more than the oxford.

11. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

For me, it was because of #1 and #2.

12. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

Obviously haven't arrived yet, but I've ordered these... [​IMG] ... in (gasp) black calf. I know I'll burn in hell, but I've got a nice base of brown shoes and needed something elegant for evening. And just to stoke the fire, my first Vass purchase was a pair of bluchers.