1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My Thom Browne suit (PICs)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Apr 24, 2006.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

So, is he parodying himself here just to get attention?

http://www.papermag.com/?section=article&parid=1108

Similar to what occurs in womens' runway shows? The Bergdorf (eg) buyers
    buy toned down versions of what they see on the runway.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He is pretty smart marketing-wise, actually. He knows that men's fashion shows get little attention, so he provides that for himself. It's great promotion.

What's amazing is that some people wear it on the street like he wears it "on the runway". To me it's kind of like people who wear all Dior Homme or all any extreme designer - sort of tryhard and lacking personal style. When someone brings it into the real world (GS), it looks pretty damn good, but at that point it's barely recognizable as a Thom Browne suit.

far as I was concerned this was over, but OK Mr Moderator.

And sometimes we censor. Because we can.

As GS has himself pointed out, the suit he is wearing, the suit I referred to as wearable, is a suit that is a very modified version of the style TB has claimed as/made his own.

Members of the TB cult go around praising his name: TB the radical thinker, TB the visionary, TB the (backward-looking) trailblazer.

If he is all those things, if you truly admire his vision, why not wear his clothes the way he designs them? (Plenty of people wear Dior Homme w/o feeling the need to "express their individuality" by having them drastically retailored.) And conversely, if you wear his clothes toned down and modified and neutralized, isn't that saying "I don't really believe in TB's actual designs, I just enjoy positionng myself as a trendsetter; I enjoy telling everybody how cutting-edge I am without actually backing it up."?

Did he censor what you said? Man, you are whiny.

2. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

According to an inner tag it is from Fall/Winter 2004. I'm not sure when TB first came on the scene as I had never heard of him until his Spring 2005 collection.

Well, a quick forum search shows The Foxx first inquiring about a February 04 Esquire article mentioning Browne. There's a few other late 04/early 05 mentions of Browne on the forum, though the whole debate wasn't as forceful. The tragic server crash probably overshadows the time when he started getting controversial here, though.

If anything, you seem to be the first person to take the plunge on a Browne suit and show it to us firsthand, so thanks for that one.

3. yehudi

yehudi New Member

Hey guys,

Believe it or not, I was unaware of previous pee-wee herman jokes: I've seen the TB suits before, but never made the connection until I saw it in that color and with white shoes.

No desire to cause a storm.

I'm not a fan of the look, but I didn't want to cause undue grief to anyone.

Yehudi

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Members of the TB cult go around praising his name: TB the radical thinker, TB the visionary, TB the (backward-looking) trailblazer.

If he is all those things, if you truly admire his vision, why not wear his clothes the way he designs them? (Plenty of people wear Dior Homme w/o feeling the need to "express their individuality" by having them drastically retailored.) And conversely, if you wear his clothes toned down and modified and neutralized, isn't that saying "I don't really believe in TB's actual designs, I just enjoy positionng myself as a trendsetter; I enjoy telling everybody how cutting-edge I am without actually backing it up."?

The same goes for Dior Homme - a lot of people praised Hedi Slimane for being a radical thinker, but only the tools with the fat wallets actually went out and got a full DH wardrobe, bought oversized aviators, grew their hair out without washing it, started looking miserable, starved themselves and stayed out of the sun for 3 months.

Jason (sorry to keep mentioning you in this slingfest) didn't modify the suit at all, so how can you be claiming that wearing it like that is wearing it the way Browne designs it? IIRC, 38 is his normal suit size. And I know a LOT of people that had their Hedi Slimane suits re-tailored because they were not slim OTR. I have tried on size 46/36 Dior Homme jackets that were no where near as slim as they are worn on the runway. I would have to get a 34 for it to be tight. Costume National is considerably slimmer, except through the shoulders.

Lose the attitude. PLEASE. I never censured you.

5. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

The same goes for Dior Homme - a lot of people praised Hedi Slimane for being a radical thinker, but only the tools with the fat wallets actually went out and got a full DH wardrobe, bought oversized aviators, grew their hair out without washing it, started looking miserable, starved themselves and stayed out of the sun for 3 months.

Jason (sorry to keep mentioning you in this slingfest) didn't modify the suit at all, so how can you be claiming that wearing it like that is wearing it the way Browne designs it? IIRC, 38 is his normal suit size. And I know a LOT of people that had their Hedi Slimane suits re-tailored because they were not slim OTR. I have tried on size 46/36 Dior Homme jackets that were no where near as slim as they are worn on the runway. I would have to get a 34 for it to be tight. Costume National is considerably slimmer, except through the shoulders.

Lose the attitude. PLEASE. I never censured you.

I must have missed the part where I claimed you had censored me. Perhaps it takes a mod's sharp eyes to see that ...[​IMG]

Quote:
    "originally posted by whoopee:
    "I wouldn't have thought it was a TB if you didn't say so.
    "Reply by SG:
    "Exactly, I think it depends how you choose to wear it. Most of the examples we've seen are these extreme pics where the trousers are way too short, the sleeves too short (probably because the wearer's arms are too long for his default jacket sleeve length) and maybe even worn a size too small. I like to think of mine as a real life Thom Browne, worn in a real life context."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of TB's signature style, is it?

If people want to say "Once you pare away the excesses of his style, TB designs acceptable, albeit rather overpriced, suits." OK.

But that wouldn't sound very "edgy", would it ....

PS - that's not "attitude" it's edginess[​IMG]
    and it's not my real attitude anyway - it's just the public one I use to attract attention.
    my real world attitude is really quite ordinary.....[​IMG]

6. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I really like this look. It's kind of like a classy, but still rock and roll look.

7. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I really like this look. It's kind of like a classy, but still rock and roll look.

Yeah, it's a great suit. Definitely not business, but it's not trying to be. It's a real stylish, hip, fun suit for going out.

I think it really fits Jason's style, personality, and lifestyle.

What a great deal! You got a TB for the price you'd pay at JC Penny's.

8. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

JC Penney suits are more like $200-250 mostly. I know, one of them was my first suit as a graduation present. -_-

9. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I think it really fits Jason's style, personality, and lifestyle.
    Completely agree. Id never wear it, but it is very him.

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

What's amazing is that some people wear it on the street like he wears it "on the runway". When someone brings it into the real world (GS), it looks pretty damn good, but at that point it's barely recognizable as a Thom Browne suit.

TRUE!

11. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Jovan -- Thomas Cunningham here from Sacque Suit.
    Thomas,
    Glad to know you're still hanging out around here. I'm curious how much TB or any current designer influences you and your work. There's certainly a trend right now towards better-fitting, tailored suits--so are you just both riding the same wave, or is there an actual exchange of ideas?
    Thanks
    Tom

12. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

Off-topic - one of Dior Homme's seasons was called "VotC" - what's it stand for?

13. phaedrus

phaedrus Well-Known Member

votc = victim of the crime , I think.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I was just at the Vegas DH store a couple weeks ago and was surprised (if that's the right word) at how "wearable" about 75% of the racks were, considering how un-wearable some of his runway pics look. The suits were conservative in color/fabrics but had a great cut/fit. I think it's the same with Browne, if you add *your* own twist to it then it all comes together and looks cohesive, rather than trying to mimic a photoshoot and insisting that is the "proper" way to wear the designer's "vision"

15. borace

borace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The cut of this suit looks very much like an English mod's suit. Usually made up in mohair material.

borace

16. Get Smart

Thanks, it has a very mohair-like sheen that doesnt photograph, but it's definitely there.

17. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

I feel like I stand corrected, to some degree. When tailored not to look clownish, his stuff can be OK. Quilted tuxedos or suits jackets paired with shorts, however, which seems to be his current fetish, is another issue entirely.

I'm still not a fan of the jacket, mostly for the lapels. I think lapels narrower than a Helmut Lang jacket ca. 1998 move into the realm of parody. But on you, unlike on TB, the central element that bothers me about his jackets (the mismatch between the jacket's waist and the wearer's, which to me is the central component of the "baby brother's suit" look) is entirely absent.

Also, I'm starting to seriously dig that light grey color. That's probably the only (mainstream) shade not in my current suit wardrobe. Unless a PoW pattern counts, which I don't think it does.

However, one thing that never fails to jar me is a suit worn with a button down collared shirt. The only thing worse is one of those gawdawful pin collars that Rummy favors. But hey, it's your look and that shirt fabric sure looks great. Maybe I need to try Janzten myself sometime.

I love the shoes with the suit, too.

18. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

As several forumites besides myself have pointed out, this suit looks fine on GS.

Would a TB suit be likely to look as good on e.g. a 44L?

19. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I don't think his sizes even go to a 44... that's what I heard anyways.

20. Get Smart

His sizing is 1-4....1 being a 36, and 4 being 42.