1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My Thom Browne suit (PICs)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Apr 24, 2006.

1. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

maybe it's because you guys are newbies but pre-SF crash there were plenty of threads about Thom Browne with the Pee Wee joke so it's played out now. I'm sure Yehudi thought he was being pretty clever and funny with the PWH pic. Time to find a new joke fellas...[​IMG]

Sorry! I didn't make myself clear the first time.

ahem.

There

is

a reason

why

people

keep

mentioning

pee

wee

herman

whenever

thom

browne

is

discussed.

hope that's better!

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I guess I wasnt clear either....

We

get

the

Pee Wee

joke

It's

been

done

countless

times

already

in

other

threads

3. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

The point is, it's not a joke. It's as inevitable as mentioning Cary Grant in a discussion of dressing well. That's never going to get old, because it's a true and valid touchstone. Mentioning PWH is not going to go away, because his costume is very similar to a TB suit. If somebody really isn't capable of perceiving that, or just refuses to acknowledge the validity of the comparison, that's their problem. It doesn't vitiate the comparison.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

It reminds me of certain vintage Brooks Bros. suits.

Do you think Pee Wee Herman was chic?

5. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

I think the comparison to Pee Wee Herman is kind of silly, especially when you juxtapose the two pictures. Pee Wee's suit is too short and is tight to the point of being visually uncomfortable.

Get Smart's suit, on the other hand, fits him very well. It's not entirely my style (although I certainly like some of its elements), but to laugh it off as looking like Pee Wee Herman is, well, laughable.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I think the comparison to Pee Wee Herman is kind of silly, especially when you juxtapose the two pictures. Pee Wee's suit is too short and is tight to the point of being visually uncomfortable.

Get Smart's suit, on the other hand, fits him very well. It's not entirely my style (although I certainly like some of its elements), but to laugh it off as looking like Pee Wee Herman is, well, laughable.

Of course, the sleeves and trousers are finished to a nice length on Get Smart's suit, unlike most the TB we've seen.

Get Smart, I like it. Please unbutton that top jacket button, though. It's pulling way too much, and the balance, and lapel width should be fantastic when undone. Good buy.

7. j

j Well-Known Member

Sorry! I didn't make myself clear the first time.

ahem.

There

is

a reason

why

people

keep

mentioning

pee

wee

herman

whenever

thom

browne

is

discussed.

hope that's better!

Check

that

attitude

at

the

door

thanks

8. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Pee Wee Herman seems to fit the Duncan Quinn aesthetic more, if you ask me. Thom Browne jacket sleeves aren't usually that short, even when I see the man himself wear his stuff. Reubens'd be more chic if he ditched the bowtie and opted for a LONG sleeve shirt. :p

9. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

Pee Wee Herman seems to fit the Duncan Quinn aesthetic more, if you ask me. Thom Browne jacket sleeves aren't usually that short, even when I see the man himself wear his stuff. Reubens'd be more chic if he ditched the bowtie and opted for a LONG sleeve shirt. :p

The bowtie is just his way of expressing his individual flair, man!

10. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

OK. But the assertion that the comparison is completely inapt is just not true. I didn't post the picture that started this. Or any others of Pee Wee, for that matter (the first season of the show was so much better, BTW ... apparently almost the entire supporting cast left after that because he was a total PITA to work with ... whoops, topic drift!)

Anyhow, it ain't me posting what are - as GS himself points out - so many Pee Wee pix in connection with Thom Browne's designs. Lots of people see those designs & think of PW. There is probably a reason so many think that same thought, react that same way, and I would venture to suggest that it is because TB's work is startlingly reminiscent of the work of Pee Wee Herman's costume designer.

Now, the suit GS is modelling actually lacks the more extreme manifestations of the TB style - mind you, TB himself isn't backing down from that paradigm; have a look at the outfit shown in this month's Chicago Social for confirmation of that. But the GS suit looks wearable (although wearing white shoes with it & then claiming it's not an hommage to Mr Rubens seems disingenuous). The trouble is, Thom Browne suits apparently become more wearable the more they depart from Mr Browne's paradigm. I would suggest that that is not a good thing to say of a designer.

Thom Browne fans: if you want to champion the guy, wear the clothes that most accurately reflect his vision. To compromise, in this instance, is to admit defeat.

11. Get Smart

As I've said before in other threads about TB, I don't like the way TB suits are worn by his hordes either. But that isn't to say I don't like his gear. The first time I saw/tried on his stuff I had never heard of the guy but thought his jackets were my cup of tea. Then I started seeing pics of the flooded trousers, too short sleeves etc and was a bit surprised but whatever floats yer boat, right? His jackets are cut slim, are a bit shorter in length than normal, have thin lapels...all elements I like in my suit jackets, regardless of who's name is sewn on the tag.

Believe me, I GET the Pee Wee comparisons and chuckled at it the first time it was presented. There's a lot of stuff by Dior Homme that could be just as easily referenced to an absurd pop image, but the way a designer likes to portray his line doesnt necessarily mean you have to wear it that way. "Admit defeat"..?? huh, I didnt realize that style was a war that produced victors and losers. If TB *really really* wanted you to wear high waters, he'd sell his trousers pre-hemmed with no extra material to let down.

*btw, if one follows Mr Browne's paradigm on how his suits be worn (or any other designer/brand/fashion-aesthetic for that matter), I'd say that they were seriously lacking any personal style.

12. Get Smart

although wearing white shoes with it & then claiming it's not an hommage to Mr Rubens seems disingenuous

again, "HUH?"...disingenuous?? You think I paired the suit with white shoes as an homage to PWH?? uh, no.

13. howbah

howbah Well-Known Member

OK. That particular suit looks fine on you, so enjoy!

But I sincerely suggest different shoes. I promise you, going out in those, sombody's sure to yell "Tequila!"

14. Get Smart

But I sincerely suggest different shoes. I promise you, going out in those, sombody's sure to yell "Tequila!"

actually that particular night, I had a few queries of where to get the shoes (which are not pure white, they are an antiqued white brogue from Paul Smith). Guess it depends where one hangs out... [​IMG]

15. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd see the day, but that looks pretty good [​IMG]

16. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

The trouble is, Thom Browne suits apparently become more wearable the more they depart from Mr Browne's paradigm. I would suggest that that is not a good thing to say of a designer.

Thom Browne fans: if you want to champion the guy, wear the clothes that most accurately reflect his vision. To compromise, in this instance, is to admit defeat.

I've heard TB say himself that just because *he* wears his pants up high, doesn't mean that he envisions everyone else doing the same with his clothes. He has no problem with guys wearing the trousers full length.

17. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

I think it looks great, and particularly like the shoes as well.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Jason, it looks totally awesome.

I hate to say it, but to everyone else - I told you so.

So you cats who were so anti-TB were before saying, "His clothes aren't wearable in every day situations," are given an example of an every day situation where his clothes are perfectly acceptable, and you completely switch the argument to "If you don't wear it the same way TB does, you aren't wearing it right."

And holy shit Jason, $352. I can't believe that.

19. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Jason I must say the fit looks great, much better than I would have expected given that its TB. My only minor complaint would be that the slim fit nature of the suit and lapels make your head appear slighty out of proportion.

20. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I used to attack him because I was under the strong impression that the highwaters and 34XS jackets were the absolute standard... now that I know they're constructed well and I've seen them worn differently, I have a much different opinion. Especially now that I'm actually getting into the slightly short hem, slightly short jacket body (I can't imagine having shorter sleeves at all), thin-lapelled aesthetic. As I've said before, I'd never do it to the extent that he does himself. Hrm... I think an enquiry to Baron Boutique is in order if I can scrounge up more suit money for this year. [​IMG]