1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My Shoe damage (AKA dangers of reading SF and AAAC)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Garfieldthecat, May 31, 2006.

1. Garfieldthecat

Garfieldthecat Well-Known Member

Thanks to SF and AAAC, the following picture is the result of reading the forums for the past couple of months, and upgrading my shoe rotation from rather cheap looking J&M and Cole Hahn shoes.

Thanks to everyone that posts here to let me learn so much about dressing correctly and on what to buy/what not to buy! (Please note that I wear business casual attire at work, so these are not worn with suits)

The top row is (L to R) Allen Edmund, RL (made by C&J I believe, got them off ebay at GVH), and a 7 year old pair of Land's End loafers.

The bottom row is C&J Langham, C&J Dartmoth, and AS Lamport

Turns out that although I wear a 8.5 in the US (my AE's and the RL's are 8.5US), when I got my Alfred Sargent shoes in a 8UK, they were still a bit on the loose side. So when I ordered the C&J's, I moved down to a 7.5UK, and they fit fine.

And yes, I like tassels. [​IMG]

Attachment 335
    [​IMG]

2. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Wow! The Dartmouth is tremendous. Nice collection!

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Don't share your fondness for tassles, but I love the Dartmouth.

4. Garfieldthecat

Don't share your fondness for tassles, but I love the Dartmouth.

Yeah, I do like them, but I am trying to move away from that style. Since I don't wear a suit, does anyone have a recommendation on other shoe styles that I could try?

Obviously plain oxfords work (Dartmouth), and I am not into monk straps or heavy brogueing in shoes. Perhaps cap toes, or would they be too formal for non-suit wear? Any other ideas?

Thanks

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Obviously plain oxfords work (Dartmouth), and I am not into monk straps or heavy brogueing in shoes. Perhaps cap toes, or would they be too formal for non-suit wear? Any other ideas?

Thanks

I find captoe bals much too formal for most casual clothing, but captoe bluchers can work. (Some find them a stylistic anomaly, but I like them.)

What about some suede? Dirty bucks, maybe? Or an austerity brogue in calf?

6. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Try a split toe Norwegian...and reconsider monkstraps!

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

- Butterfly loafers
    - Chelsea boot

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do like them, but I am trying to move away from that style. Since I don't wear a suit, does anyone have a recommendation on other shoe styles that I could try?

Thanks

hey Garfield,
    although you do have an extensive selection of tassel loafers, and although they are a very american look, do consider at least the following:

plain toe balmorals w or w/o medallion (a very elegant and refined appearance)

split toe bluchers with a heavy sole (a very striking and formidable appearance)

horsebit loafers ( a very eurotrash and nonchalant/smug appearance <i have a few as well>)

penny loafers (preferably in burgundy, a traditional and tradly appearance)

suede chukka boots

full brogue wingtips (again, preferably in burgundy or a burnished rich, wooden brown, a very classic look.

monkstraps (classic as well)

i think you should reconsider monkstraps and brogued or very ornate looking shoes. i come to favor the heavily ornate looking shoe after extensively collecting refined lightweight italian "nightclub" type shoes. they are very English in appearance and bring alot of solidity to your look and just makes you look STRIKING.

9. Asterix

Asterix Well-Known Member

Very nice collection.

10. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

Not a fan of tassels but very nice shoes - tasteful and varied.

I second the vote for a wholecut / plain-toe balmoral.

11. raley

raley Well-Known Member

A 2 or 3 eyelet chukka - possibly in suede.

A monk or a double monk is always nice.

Maybe a wholecut with a medallion - or would this be too formal?

12. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I don't own a single pair of tassles or loafers for that matter, but I love the fact that you have found what you like and stayed with it.

For a change in your rotation: I second the boot options mentioned.

13. Garfieldthecat

Thanks for all the replies. I am pretty conservative by nature, so I always tend to start off with things I am comfortable with, then start expanding into newer trends (As an example, when I started to have to wear ties, I started off with the most conservative, boring ties and only white and light blue shirts. After a few months, I started adding more colors and patterns to my ties, and adding in colors and patterns in my shirts as well).

I think I will stretch my boundaries soon, and probably go with some sort of monk strap, since I've seen so many good looking ones on the forum. Suede is still a bit too much for me right now, I think.

A chukka boot would look good as well, I think.

Again, thanks for the advice!