• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My shoe choice

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Barry
So what do you think of my choice? I hate Kohls because I heard that anything not on sale is overpriced. I was always suspicious of their almost constant sales on practically everything. It makes me feel that I have to wait for a sale, and I don't want to shop like that. But those shoes seem OK.

For my aesthetic standard, your shoes are ugly. I personally dislike the construction work look, so rough, chunky, and ubiquitous.

Barry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
More seriously, what are you going to use these shoes for? Are they for every day at the office, or every day on the shop floor, or running around with the kids at the weekend? All of this will make a difference in just how much traction you need, and just how much you might like a good-looking shoe.
It's just a shoe that I would wear for my little cousin's birthday party (2-5 year old range), sometimes shopping, and for some other informal occasions when I'm not wearing jeans. My jean shoes are currently mostly-nylon cross trainers. I might wear the shoes in the rain and light snow and cold weather too, just for informal stuff. They might be more waterproof and warmer than my sneakers. Not sure what I'd choose around sawdust.

mikesduc

Reaction score
I think it all comes down to looking good or not. I am 41, have 4 kids and would not be caught dead in those shoes. They are hideous, standard issue shoes for people who have no style or do not care about style. I don't go clubbing or partying but I still want to look good. Please return or burn those shoes. You can look good and still look like a family man at the same time.

If you truly like those shoes, styleforum is not for you. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you get my point!
smile.gif

Barry

Reaction score
Feel free to post a picture or link to what you'd wear as an everyday shoe, like for shopping, a child's birthday, maybe when going bowling where you'll rent bowling shoes, meeting a buddy at Starbucks, etc. I think SuperBobo is the only one who did.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel free to post a picture or link to what you'd wear as an everyday shoe, like for shopping, a child's birthday, maybe when going bowling where you'll rent bowling shoes, meeting a buddy at Starbucks, etc. I think SuperBobo is the only one who did.

Don't mean to be harsh, but whatever happened to reading around this forum before posting?

Anyway, the What Are You Wearing Today thread is all you need
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=40802
Mens' Clothing version (more traditional, business-oriented attire)
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=2619

Yaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
I think it all comes down to looking good or not. I am 41, have 4 kids and would not be caught dead in those shoes. They are hideous, standard issue shoes for people who have no style or do not care about style. I don't go clubbing or partying but I still want to look good. Please return or burn those shoes. You can look good and still look like a family man at the same time.

If you truly like those shoes, styleforum is not for you. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you get my point!
smile.gif

+1...well said.

Personally, for just hanging around town I wear a pair of boots from RM Williams. They are well made, look nice with most casual pants, and will last a very long time. I have the Yard Boot and ordered them from this store: http://www.bootsonline.com.au/

If you MUST go with the clunky moc style, at least check out some Clarks

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/29661144/c/3633.html

or maybe Red Wing

http://www.redwingshoe.com/productde...px?prodid=1526

Those Chaps you ordered look like they are made out of vinyl. You could find better shoes at a thrift store...seriously.

Barry

Reaction score
The shoes at the last link (Red Wing) look kind of like what I was looking for, but slightly more casual and uglier than mine, and more than twice the price. More athletic looking but less rugged yet more casual than mine. Decent choice though.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought sandals for $30 with real stitching all the way around, so the stitching can't be that expensive and it shouldn't be surprising if the ones I ordered have real stitching.

What does that have to do with how ugly and low-quality your shoes are?

Could it be that the fashion industry fooled you into thinking that stitching and a certain price means quality?
No.

Do any of you think these are good looking shoes? They're more than twice the cost of mine and are a very popular, standard style.
And they're ugly as sin.

Here's another popular style that could be found in various price ranges, but it looks like a boot. Is that a more appropriate look for every day casual wear with chinos than the ones I ordered?
Yes, more appropriate. Still not there, though.

These are over twice the price of mine too. Are they better looking?
No. Why are you so fixated on looking like a construction worker? Just buy some nice Jerry Seinfeld acid-washed jeans and you can have a whole wardrobe. All you need to do is exchange the hiking shoe/boot mutants for hightop white Reebok sneakers when you're feeling casual.

So you could all stick with your stiff, slippery soled shoes with the recycled uppers and be a hit at the clubs, and I'll stick with mine.
You can't get into clubs around here with those shoes. Hell, I wouldn't let you into my office.

Barry

Reaction score
Real stitching was recommended to me here. People here thought it was a sign of quality. I agree with you that it's not, but I wanted them to realize that the stitching may be real. In their minds it would affect the quality. If you don't think the fashion industry fooled them about the stitching, I'd like to know who did.

Aren't those ugly as sin shoes standard moccasins? They're really popular, you know, and have been for a long time. But I wouldn't buy them either.

The boot-look shoe that's "still not there" is a very popular style to wear with chinos. Another popular style is the moccasin toe version, similar to mine. In fact, those were the only two type shoes shown on the mannequins in Kohl's that were wearing chinos. I think the people whose job it is to dress the mannequins know more about fashion than most of you. I prefer the moccasin toe because the others look like boots. With a flat leather sole they'd look better but they wouldn't make good casual shoes for comfort and traction reasons.

I've read plenty of people's comments on other forums about Kohl's clothing and shoes, Chaps in particular, and I have no problem buying their products based on what I read.

What's with you people and hightops and boots? They're the worst choice for casual shoes unless it's cold or snowing or you're on a horse or something. You shouldn't even have to sacrifice comfort much for dress shoes. Doing it for every-day casual shoes is ridiculous.

And don't get me started on the overpriced canvas Keds-like shoes in that other thread. They were the standard for grade schoolers in the 1970s. If you people are wearing those and white T-shirts and still criticizing my shoes...

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We were criticizing your shoes because they honestly look tacky. If they had have been something like Sperry Top-Siders, it would not have been so bad, but the fact of the matter is you didn't get any praise for the shoes you posted so you just started insulting everyone.

No one is going to tell you not to shop at Kohl's, but no one here is going to congratulate you for going there. We don't like those kind of clothes and you aren't going to change any minds.

And don't get me started on the whole glued vs. stitched soles argument you made, because it would be an excercise in futility to try and change your narrow mind.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to move this into Men's Clothing so the people there can ... have a shot at ... helping you.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Barry, I won't comment on your shoes or add to what others have written, as my opinion will be in line with theirs. All that I will do is say that if you spend some time reading the forum, spending some time checking out the sales forum, or learning to use ebay with a little skill and good luck, you can find excellent shoes at good prices. Even if you only have $50-75 to spend, you can still find a decent pair with just a little effort on your part. For example, here's a pic of what I think are a good looking pair of shoes. I sold this exact pair some months back for about $60 here on the forum, because I found a place that was having a close-out and wanted to pass along a good deal to SFers. LOTS of other members here are willing to do the same and often pass on good deals that will help you save $$$ while still looking like you have a stylish bone or two in your body.
DSC02040.jpg
Or, if you like a rubber sole:
DSC02078.jpg
DSC02079.jpg
Anyway, the only reason I post these pics is to show you that you aren't forced simply to wallow in mediocre shoes. Though these above are by no means the end-all/be-all of men's footwear, they are still nice shoes and worth every cent of $60. So, read the forum, hang around, and let us save you from buying shoes that make you look like your life's highlight of the past ten years was when they redesigned the Camry.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't wear chinos and could not advise on a suitable shoe, but I hope the OP can stick reading this thread long enough to get the advice he wants and not be put off by some of the unwarrented and juvenile sniping at him.

Barry

Reaction score
Thanks Tangfastic.

The top shoes aren't adjustable enough. I like laces. They're also too dressy for what I want them for, especially when the buckles are covered by pants. And they don't have padding at the back. I've felt some shoes that seemed soft back there even with no padding, but I'd have to feel them. I took a pair into the shoemaker and he softened them up and they still hurt, so I really want the padding.

The bottom ones would make me feel a little old, and same padding problem.

Anyway, I looked into canceling the order and found that I wouldn't get the shipping charges refunded when the status is "in fulfillment." I checked up on the law and found that they're required to refund shipping charges if the product wasn't shipped yet. I'm not 100% clear on it in my case, but I'm pissed enough that I'm going to email Kohls and cancel the order and inform them of the law.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads