• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Portable Audio System (Headphone Based)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Andre,
I'm using my ears because in my experience measurements do not do an adequate job capturing sound differences. But in any event, M-Audio or RMAA are not really the last word in test equipment so my doubts remain how flat the iPhone really is.
If you go to Head-Fi, a large number of people do not find the sound quality to be very good at all. I find this opinion valid based on my own experimenting with various sources from iPods to hirez files>dacs>amps.

My ears tell me the iPhone is fine for what it is, and there is certainly no midrange suckout. If anything, with typical headphones, there is a midrange boost between 2.5 and 2.8 kHz.

The M-Audio and RMAA software are more than sufficient for capturing gross errors like frequency response errors. How would a frequency response error hide from measurement, especially ones that are so obvious audible? We are not talking about jitter or anything that's especially hard to measure here. And what are your EQu settings?

As for Head-Fi ... no comment on their listening judgment or abilities.

Last edited:

montyharding

Reaction score
I see the battle between the sensible and the hopelessly deluded still rages on.

Perhaps it's because I'm insulated to / seen too much BS-addled audiophile types, but the first post didn't actually make me burst out in laughter. Grados? Check. Almost-useless-in-reality amp? Check. iPod hooked up to likely a Mac? Check. Lossless files which you won't be able to tell the difference with using a phone which provides zero (and arguable in the case of Grados negative) isolation? Check.

Enjoy your rig :nodding:

Last edited:

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

I see the battle between the sensible and the hopelessly deluded still rages on.

Perhaps it's because I'm insulated to / seen too much BS-addled audiophile types, but the first post didn't actually make me burst out in laughter. Grados? Check. Almost-useless-in-reality amp? Check. iPod hooked up to likely a Mac? Check. Lossless files which you won't be able to tell the difference with using a phone which provides zero (and arguable in the case of Grados negative) isolation? Check.

Enjoy your rig :nodding:

For the record I use lossless files with an iPod Classic but if you listen closely you can hear the difference with the AAC or MP3 version. Not everyone cares about that but I and many others do.

As for isolation, the open nature of the Grados is really only an issue on a plane but even then it works decently enough. However, I also use iMetal 590s for travel and soon hope my buddies at Cardas send me a pair of their soon to debut IEMs.

An amp is not useless in reality as it makes both my Grado RS-1s and my IEMs sound better. All one is doing is substituting a better amp for the one in the iPod and same for the Cypher Labs Solo dac.

You should listen to the ALO/Cypher Labs combo as it really sounds amazing. I think once you hear it you will see why many carry around a small stack of iPod/ALO amp/Cypher Labs DAC.

For business travel or leisure travel, having a compact, high end portable system is a nice luxury.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the record I use lossless files with an iPod Classic but if you listen closely you can hear the difference with the AAC or MP3 version. Not everyone cares about that but I and many others do.
As for isolation, the open nature of the Grados is really only an issue on a plane but even then it works decently enough. However, I also use iMetal 590s for travel and soon hope my buddies at Cardas send me a pair of their soon to debut IEMs.
An amp is not useless in reality as it makes both my Grado RS-1s and my IEMs sound better. All one is doing is substituting a better amp for the one in the iPod and same for the Cypher Labs Solo dac.

How do you go about explaining the amp and your little package to the TSA goons?

Also when you're using the Grados on a plane, are you sat up front in first class where it tends to be quieter, away from the noisy engines?

TBH I certainly couldn't be using open cans back in economy, wouldn't be able to hear my music, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was lossless of not in that situation.

Same thing goes for trains. I don't wish to be hearing the prick sat next to me bellowing into his cellphone all the time. I like sound isolation.

Last edited:

montyharding

Reaction score

How do you go about explaining the amp and your little package to the TSA goons?
Also when you're using the Grados on a plane, are you sat up front in first class where it tends to be quieter, away from the noisy engines?
TBH I certainly couldn't be using open cans back in economy, wouldn't be able to hear my music, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was lossless of not in that situation.
Same thing goes for trains. I don't wish to be hearing the prick sat next to me bellowing into his cellphone all the time. I like sound isolation.

First or next to the rear toilets is not going to make a difference, Grado-wise.

As for isolation, the open nature of the Grados is really only an issue on a plane but even then it works decently enough.

Now I know you're deaf.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First or next to the rear toilets is not going to make a difference, Grado-wise.

I can't even imagine using any open-back headphones on an airplane and being able to care about or even tell quality. When I travel, IEMs are the only thing I use.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

I can't even imagine using any open-back headphones on an airplane and being able to care about or even tell quality. When I travel, IEMs are the only thing I use.

It's not ideal but it works alright. IEMs are certainly better but the midrange of the Grados is so good I like to use them, especially when on a quieter plane like the 777.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The inevitable screaming babies on flights tend to be quite midrange as well.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

The inevitable screaming babies on flights tend to be quite midrange as well.

Very true. Any screaming babies and I pull out the iMetal IEMs. Most of my flights have business people more often than babies so this is less of an issue. Really my routes are more business routes than leisure routes so perhaps that helps.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
F do you buy Monster cables?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

AF do you buy Monster cables?

No, I don't find they sound very good. I tend to like Cardas Golden Reference and Clear and Kimber Kables. Right now I am testing Black Cat Cables by Stereolab which is made by a friend of mine. They are fantastic for the money. $127 a meter pair.

http://blackcat75.ning.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics