1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My first Thrift Store Purchase.. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mattsrobertson, Oct 29, 2009.

1. mattsrobertson

mattsrobertson Member

Hey Guys,

I am new to this board, and am attempting to revamp my wardrobe. I have never tried thrifting before and I made my first Thrift Store purchase today and wanted to get opinions on the item.

It is a Aquascutum Navy Blue Blazer. I am not sure the size, but I usually wear a 38R and it fits pretty good. I am going to use some of the info on here to find a good tailor near the GTA where I live to get it fit properly.

I posted some links to pictures below.

http://imgur.com/8R8vZ.jpg

http://imgur.com/VGH61.jpg

http://imgur.com/hF5Or.jpg

http://imgur.com/qVree.jpg

http://imgur.com/rrkc5.jpg

What would you guys wear with this? Grey pants? I am currently looking at buying a new pair of dress shoes. The pair I have are Pierre Cardin (which I thought were good at the time, after reading on here I see otherwise lol). I am looking at AE, would you wear brown or black though with a navy blue blazer?

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

actually looks pretty decent, although fit pictures with you wearing it would be better.

anything from grey to brown pants will work. it's a navy blazer, pretty much goes with anything... really, this one is hard to mess up, although if you're really talented...

there are a few threads about GTA/TO tailors if you need.

Out of interest, where did you thrift it?

3. mattsrobertson

mattsrobertson Member

My camera is charging, I drained the battery taking those pictures. I'll upload one with me wearing it in in a few minutes.

Got it at a small thrift store near my house in Burlington, ON. I had never been there before, just noticed it as I was driving by and stopped in to check it out. Not a large collection of clothes, but I would imagine places like that might have better finds since a lot of people don't know about it.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sou...229632&iwloc=A

I forgot to add before, it was only 10 dollars CAD.

4. mattsrobertson

mattsrobertson Member

Picture of me wearing it. I wasn't actually trying to pose, I was adjusting the tie when the picture snapped lol.
    [​IMG]

5. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Well-Known Member

Nice find and a damn good price. Like it was mentioned above, you really can't screw up an outfit with a blue blazer unless you tried pretty hard. I prefer the security guard, gray pants, blue shirt and boring tie. Also, this is StyleForum, so put a pocket square in the blazer.

6. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Well-Known Member

Great looking blazer. Nice find.

7. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Well-Known Member

8. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

Good job finding a nice blazer while thrifting.

Unfortunately, your choice of beer is not quite so nice.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

A very nice blazer and the fit on you is fine. Well done.

10. matzolla

matzolla Member

Thrifting is time consuming but can be rewarding. Not bad.

11. mattsrobertson

mattsrobertson Member

Thanks for all the replies!! I guess I am off to a good start for thrifting. It's reassuring that everyone said it was a good find!

As for the beer, it was not mine. Had some people over and they left their empties. I prefer my Whisky over beer (Crown Royal), but if I do drink beer it is typically Alexander Keith's. I have yet to become a beer connoisseur and try many other beers.

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

It is nice...I wouldn't personally have picked it up for the jetted pockets, but thats nit picking, for 10 bucks, a score and not a bad fit either. Just don't think all of your thrift stops will be this fruitful, or feel you have to return with something or you've failed...I have a closet full of WTFWIT thrift purchases...but the good thing, they really didn't set me back much $$

13. mattsrobertson

mattsrobertson Member

It is nice...I wouldn't personally have picked it up for the jetted pockets, but thats nit picking, for 10 bucks, a score and not a bad fit either. Just don't think all of your thrift stops will be this fruitful, or feel you have to return with something or you've failed...I have a closet full of WTFWIT thrift purchases...but the good thing, they really didn't set me back much $$

For sure. I had been reading posts about thrifting for hours before I even went out. I fully expect to make several trips without finding anything. If I see something I really like, I will get it, otherwise I am just looking.

14. mtsoccer4

mtsoccer4 Well-Known Member

Great find my friend. I love shopping at Goodwill. I've found Christian Dior, Tailorbyrd, Hugo Boss, Armani, etc, but in my area the blazers are pretty bad. My only blue blazer is cheap and was given to me by a friend that had to dump it before moving to the Orient.

So, good pickup. I'm iffy on the buttons; for navy I prefer something more monotone for buttons, and the contrast metal doesn't do it for me. Tough to tell from the pics though, they might be OK...like 'em? The fit is fantastic. Well done!

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

Nice find! The key to thrifting is perseverance. Keep it up! Some days you won't find anything, but one day you might just find a pair of Black Fleece blazers in your size... for example. If you'd like you could post your finds here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=9006

16. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

+1, and welcome to the thrifting addiction! You will also see yourself becoming more and more picky with thrift finds after you've been at it for awhile. When I started out, I would buy everything that I knew was "expensive" (ie: Hugo Boss, anything Armani, Tommy Bahama.....etc). I've thrown away hundreds of dollars on stuff I bought, never wore and ended up re-donating. Now, I only pick up stuff I know is high-quality and not dated.