1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My favorite fruit

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Kent Wang, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

This is Ernest's too.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Durian is my favorite.

4. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

WHAT? So... plain... Just watermelon? I'd have thought you'd say some weird exotic hipster obscure mutant fruit.. like this: [​IMG]

5. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

6. LabelKing

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

It eats clean,no messy juices to drip everywhere. Tastes good. As a topper, have been one as well....it's all good.

[​IMG]

8. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

9. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I like tangerines, but only about 10% seem to be really good. The rest are just boring.

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

Durian is my favorite.
    I could never get past the smell. How about jackfruit?

11. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

WHAT? So... plain... Just watermelon? I'd have thought you'd say some weird exotic hipster obscure mutant fruit.. like this:

[​IMG]

What is it?

Whatever it is, it sure looks good. Passion Fruit, Kiwi, Watermelon, banana, and heaven only knows what else seem to be mixed all together in that exotic flesh.

12. LabelKing

I believe that's a dragon fruit. It resembles something that would find favor in A Rebours.

[​IMG]

13. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I like tangerines, but only about 10% seem to be really good. The rest are just boring.

Strange, I pick up a 3-pound bag from Aldi whenever I go. It costs only $1.99 for maybe 9-12 tangerines, and there's usually only one or two bland ones in the entire bag. Actually, they tend to be the sweetest and juciest I've ever had. Really shocked me when I first bought them there.

14. Kent Wang

I have eaten dragonfruit in China. [​IMG] But there is just no beating a ripe watermelon at the peak of the season.

15. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

I believe that's a dragon fruit. It resembles something that would find favor in A Rebours.

I have eaten dragonfruit in China.

[​IMG]

Thanks gentlemen! I asked the produce manager at Jonathan's Market to order some. He'll call when it arrives. He tells me it comes from Costa Rica or Guatemala.

But there is just no beating a ripe watermelon at the peak of the season.

George's at the Cove serves a (Chino Farms) Watermelon Gazpacho.

A member of the Hal Roach Studios Our Gang / The Little Rascals opined in one of the episodes that watermelon is best because "it's the only food that you can eat, drink, and wash your face in!"

Many years ago, our local market used to sell watermelon for one-half cent per pound! That's right . . . a ten pound melon was five cents in the late 1950s. [​IMG]

16. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Durian would be my favorite. Was raised in South East Asia, and the tropical fruits there i.e mangoes, lychees, watermelons are all much-loved.

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Killer knife Kent. Pro S?

18. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

19. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The pleasures of the bitten peach...

20. Kent Wang

I was hoping that more people would catch the reference to ernest. I agree with Flame, Southeast Asia has the best fruit in the world. I like jackfruit a lot as well: [​IMG] And of course, the rambutan: [​IMG] Though I prefer lychees slightly more. Full Canvas, good luck with ordering the dragonfruit. I've seen them a few times at Central Market for $20/lb, while in Hong Kong they were only a few cents a pound. They're very easy to peel but the flesh is not that sweet. The texture is similar to kiwi. The flavor is rather unremarkable though it is difficult to argue with its beauty. At Chinese prices it's a good deal considering how much mass you're getting, but I would not pay anything near $20/lb. How much did your grocer quote you?
    Killer knife Kent. Pro S?
    Wusthof Classic 9". I like it because it's an unusual length; Henckels only does 8" and 10". Here are all my babies.