1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My Baroni Suit: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lawman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. forex

forex Well-Known Member

looks like a nice suit,Lawman.Who is the seller?

2. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

That is the Wizard of Ahhs guy from Ebay.

3. forex

forex Well-Known Member

That is the Wizard of Ahhs guy from Ebay.

can you please give a link to the auction? Is the suit fused,canvassed,half canvassed?
    I'll take a look at his auctions.
    thanks in advance

4. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

Someone needs to cut one of those babies open.

5. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

can you please give a link to the auction? Is the suit fused,canvassed,half canvassed?
    I'll take a look at his auctions.
    thanks in advance

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs

6. kngrimm

kngrimm Well-Known Member

thx for the pics... but I must say, they don't show much...

The MOST important thing about a Baroni suit (given it's infamous rep) is how it fits on you...

Jeff has pics of the suit.. we know what it looks like - we want to see it on you! Blur the face.. box it out.. whatever.. just let us see : )

7. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Well-Known Member

8. Limniscate

Limniscate Well-Known Member

Lawman, I just graduated from UT. Unfortunately, my grades put me in the third quarter. I worked at Fulbright & Jaworski my first summer but didn't get an offer (I was top third after the first semester but dropped to third quarter after second semester). I don't think biglaw is for me, but it sure would be nice to make $160k to get out of debt. I eventually want to start my own firm. What do you suggest I do? Should I go into a small/medium sized firm? DA's office? I'm interested in litigation.

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

The Baroni suits are half-canvassed. At least, the one I have is. Good deal for the price.

10. plhoang

plhoang Well-Known Member

thx for the pics... but I must say, they don't show much...

The MOST important thing about a Baroni suit (given it's infamous rep) is how it fits on you...

Jeff has pics of the suit.. we know what it looks like - we want to see it on you! Blur the face.. box it out.. whatever.. just let us see : )

Here are horrible (self-taken obviously) pics of my navy pinstriped Marco Valentino, with some minor tailoring to add a touch of waist suppression.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it. A very nice filler for the wardrobe at a bargain price. Comments and assorted bricks from the peanut gallery are welcome - let me know if I've whiffed on something with the suit.

11. kngrimm

kngrimm Well-Known Member

i like it... good work. how does the fabric feel. can you compare it to something?

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

Plhoang, How high are the armholes on the valentino?

13. plhoang

i like it... good work. how does the fabric feel. can you compare it to something?

To my inexperienced touch, it feels very nice. It's not as buttery as the Brioni I have, but that statement is probably a blinding glimpse of the obvious. The material, billed as Super 150s wool, is very light and feels fine to the touch. You're taking the word of someone who doesn't know material like a Saville Row tailor of course, but it feels on par with or perhaps a bit nicer to me than the Zegnas I have. The material also feels nicer to me than the fabric on my Mr Ned's customs (made with some of the stock material he had in the shop).

My tailor (Bilal) in NYC thought the suit was very well made, and commented on the nice fabric. He asked if it was MTM in Italy, and I told him no, it's off the rack and that I believed it was made in China. He snorted and said it wasn't, and I wasn't inclined to argue with him. I think he did a good job on bringing in the sides. I know Jeff characterizes the Marco Valentino's as being slimmer and more waist suppressed than the Baroni's, but I did not find these to be that slim (I'm 5'7" and about 145 lbs and I felt it really needed to be taken in). From my experience with the MVs, I'd be inclined to pass on the Baroni's as being just too large fitting for me.

I did buy some of the latest Marco Valentinos from him, a "Luca" model which is considerably slimmer and didn't need any additional jacket work for me - they're a bit tighter in the shoulders too which was perfect. These I would characterize as slim fit suits, a la my D&Gs in the same size (but with more normal sized lapels).

Overall, I think the Marco Valentino's I bought (and I bought quite a few) were very good buys, in my opinion. I'm quite happy with the result.

14. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Well-Known Member

Yes, this the million dollar question.

But, judging from the fact that your one arm up holding the camera to take the pictures does not seem to be throwing the suit out of line, I am guessing (hoping) that the armholes are decently high.

15. plhoang

They're not huge, but I have small arms and there is definitely a bunch of jacket lifting when I try to surrender. I'd characterize them as medium size, with the "Luca" being smaller both in the armhole and the sleeve circumference. I was in Barney's trying on some Armani's and D&G's on the weekend and they were not noticeably different from the Armani's.

I'm not really sure how to answer this since I suspect almost all of my prior suits have reasonably large armholes too. These are probably about the same as on my Ned customs, although in fairness I never asked Vahram for small armholes.

As a side note - I was really unimpressed with the Armani fabric. It just didn't feel very nice, and for a premium price too. Maybe I'm just getting picky in my old age, but the Armani's really didn't do anything for me.

16. plhoang

Yes, this the million dollar question.

But, judging from the fact that your one arm up holding the camera to take the pictures does not seem to be throwing the suit out of line, I am guessing (hoping) that the armholes are decently high.

When my wife is up tomorrow, maybe I can convince her to take a picture of me with my arms up- once she stops laughing at me. I think the picture will prbably answer the question better than I can, since I'm not qualified to answer it in any sort of educated fashion. I suspect that it won't be nearly as high as you hope.

17. plhoang

Actually one quick observation: while these sleeves are cut to the same length as my Zegnas (which showed a perfect amount of cuff imo), the Marco Velentino's all look long in the sleeve on me. As far as I can tell, it's because my shirt is pulling higher because the armpits are lower on the shirt than on the jacket.

My shirts are 95% Brooks Brothers slim fit 14.5/32 with tailor-added darts. The non BBs are a few CEGOs. As a result, I've held off on any sleeve shortening, although I don't show the cuff I'd prefer to. The pics above are partly the result of hanging my arm straight down and a small tug on my sleeve cuffs that I habitually do after pulling on my jacket.

Here are pictures of one of my "Luca" peak lapelled suits. Unlike the SB notch above, this one has no work done on the jacket. There is some pulling on the second pic, since I'm carrying my son in my right arm. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JTA

JTA Well-Known Member

My M. Valentino suit. The shirt sleeve is a bit too long. I do not have time yet to shorten it. [​IMG] It is a good bargain for workhorse everyday suit and easily becomes my daily favorite when I do not know which suit to pick in the morning. Half canvassed I believe as I could feel the third layer up to the first button. Armhole is big (not that high but definitely not low).

19. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

My M. Valentino suit. The shirt sleeve is a bit too long. I do not have time yet to shorten it.

Hem the pants while you're at it.

Also, I'm certainly not an expert, but the shoulders look a little wide. I know they're roped (which is exaggerating it a but) but they look like they're extending a bit past your actual shoulders.

20. JTA

JTA Well-Known Member

You are right. Thanks!
    I will do further alteration once I have enough suit to rotate as I need to wear suit everyday at the moment hence I could not afford to leave my suit at the tailor overnight.

As for the shoulder, in my view it has strong shoulder that is better for my wide head hence camouflage it.