• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Baroni Suit: First Impressions

Lawman

Reaction score
I've wanted a peak lapel single breasted suit for some time. Given the quality of suits I've grown used to buy purchasisng on Ebay, I simply am not ready to pay the MTM freight for an Oxxford or Hickey peak lapel item. So, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase a solid navy peak lapel Baroni from ebay seller, the Wizard of Ahhhs.

The Baroni suits received a favorable review from Andy Gilchrist on AAAC, so I figured what the heck. The suit arrived yesterday, and I am really, really happy with it. The fabric (solid navy
150s) seems quite nice. The stitching looks unremarkable but solid. There is clearly canvas interlining running from the lapels down through the level of the bottom button. The lapels are nicely shaped and have some pretty nice looking pick stitching.

I purchased a 48L, which is my size in Oxxford and HF (this is mostly what I have hanging in my closet). It is a touch large, and will need some tailoring, especially waist suppression.

Viewed in a mirror, it looked to me like a high end suit. It did not look like a Joseph A. Bank level suit at all, with the caveat that I have never tried on a Signature Gold jacket.

After I get it tailored I would be happy to post pics if anyone is interested. Overall, I can't see how this can turn out to be a bad investment of $250.00.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawman,

I've always seen these suits on eBay, but have always been a bit too leary to take the plunge. I'm glad to hear that things worked out so well. As a result of your post I'd be more inclined to consider Baroni in the future.

Got any pix?

-Biggskip

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes pictures please!!!

How's the cut and shape of the suit?

Lawman

Reaction score
You know, I'm terrible with those kinds of descriptions. The shoulders are pretty soft. The suit fits me perfectly through the chest with no puckering at all. I sometimes have a problem finding two button suits that fit me through the waist without puckering in the chest. That being said, the waist is a little large and will need some taking in. The profile and cut looks more like my Zegna suits than my American suits, if that tells you anything. Sleeker.

modmica

Reaction score
Nice post - I'll be interested to see pics. I've never looked closely at any Baroni items. I've always just assumed that the name was chosen to try and steal some of the cache of Brioni, but that the items were of low quality.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would also be very interested to see some pictures.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
How are the armholes? Big and low? High and tight? Do the jacket shoulders leap into flight when you raise your arms?

I hate huge loopy armscyes and that is the one thing keeping me from picking a Baroni like yours.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
I've wanted a peak lapel single breasted suit for some time. Given the quality of suits I've grown used to buy purchasisng on Ebay, I simply am not ready to pay the MTM freight for an Oxxford or Hickey peak lapel item. So, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase a solid navy peak lapel Baroni from ebay seller, the Wizard of Ahhhs.

The Baroni suits received a favorable review from Andy Gilchrist on AAAC, so I figured what the heck. The suit arrived yesterday, and I am really, really happy with it. The fabric (solid navy
150s) seems quite nice. The stitching looks unremarkable but solid. There is clearly canvas interlining running from the lapels down through the level of the bottom button. The lapels are nicely shaped and have some pretty nice looking pick stitching.

I purchased a 48L, which is my size in Oxxford and HF (this is mostly what I have hanging in my closet). It is a touch large, and will need some tailoring, especially waist suppression.

Viewed in a mirror, it looked to me like a high end suit. It did not look like a Joseph A. Bank level suit at all, with the caveat that I have never tried on a Signature Gold jacket.

After I get it tailored I would be happy to post pics if anyone is interested. Overall, I can't see how this can turn out to be a bad investment of $250.00.

Please let me know where you get it tailored - don't let one of the old Korean ladies ruin it for you
devil.gif

dclloyd

Reaction score
I actually picked one up recently too - a fairly basic navy blue weave, two button with single pleated pants. Took $120 of alterations (not unusual, I have funky shoulders) and I have to say it fits pretty nicely. A little bit of a big cut, but the fabric is decent quality and has some of the little touches (pick stiching, good buttons) that I'm pretty happy to find in a suit of that price. The armholes are a little big & low, but not unreasonably so - again considering the price. This is going to be my workhorse suit that I'll wear when travelling etc.

Jeff at the Wizard of Ahs has another line, Valentino, that he says is comperable to Baroni but fit a slimmer build. I would seriously consider picking one up to see - not sure if anyone else here has purchased one and can give their impressions.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone should e-mail Mr. Aaahs, and see if he can cut a deal for analysis here on the forum.
He did over at Ask Andy.
In looking at the "slimmer" suit, it seems ok, I am pretty suspect of the shoulders, the cut through the body, the arm holes, and slacks.
Some can be fixed, but shoulders and armholes can not.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
In looking at the "slimmer" suit, it seems ok, I am pretty suspect of the shoulders, the cut through the body, the arm holes, and slacks.

I have a few of the Baroni suits.

The arm holes are definitely low. This is the only real issue I have with these suits.

The jackets are 'American fit' meaning that they are quite boxy. Tailoring fixes that, but I favour a lot of waist suppression which further aggravates the low armhole problem.

Aside from that the suits have held up very well and are very good value for the $250. Just don't expect to do pull ups while wearing the jacket.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Someone should e-mail Mr. Aaahs, and see if he can cut a deal for analysis here on the forum.
He did over at Ask Andy.

He gives a discount for Ask Andy members if you mention it when you order. I have one of the valentinos and a couple of ties from him which are all quite nice.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
He gives a discount for Ask Andy members if you mention it when you order. I have one of the valentinos and a couple of ties from him which are all quite nice.

How's the fit of the Valentino's? Are they still big or do they really fit a slimmer profile?

unaware

Reaction score
I was considering getting a couple Baroni suits a couple months back after reading the review over at AskAndy. But the measurements seemed rather large. Does anyone have actual experience with the "slimmer" line?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads