• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mutant wide feet

base615

Reaction score
I've been looking through all the wide feet threads here and I've not found anyone whos feet seem to be remotely as abnormal as mine which are so short and wide they can appropriately be described as square; According to this site I have UK size 5 EEEEEE; http://www.widefittingshoesdirect.co...itting%20Chart I also have an abnormally high instep and have real problems finding shoes. I currently wear shoes 3 sizes too long which makes me look like a clown and the wide fitting sites, such as the one above, stock shoes that want to make me gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon. Obviously they are not an option. Short of bespoke which I can't really afford, does anyone have any ideas? Anyone with similar size/shape feet? Cheers, Craig

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you aren't placing any pressure on your foot, does the right side push out as it doing?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Craig,
I am usually 6E or 6EE in US sizes (6US = 5UK, roughly) but your feet look monster wide compared to mine.

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
When you aren't placing any pressure on your foot, does the right side push out as it doing?
Not quite as much. This one is taken slightly diagonally as I'm not very flexible so with no weight on it's slightly wider than this picture;

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
Have you considered bespoke?

I would love to but we don't seem to have any good bespoke shoes in Sydney and I can't really afford $3000 for a pair of shoes.

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Have you tried Church's or the other "lesser" (at least on this forum) English brands like Loake? It tends to be the mid-tier English firms that still make shoes in wider fittings.
frown.gif

I've tried Loakes but the range of stuff you get here in Australia seems to be fairly limited because of a small population so there's nowhere I can try on the wide ones. Size 7 in a Loakes fit width wise but are way too long.

I'm a bit loath to order something online just to try. I'd like to be able to try them on.

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
If you were in Melbourne, I think McCloud have a decent selection of wider fitting Loakes.

Thanks. My in-laws are in Melbourne so we're there a couple of times a year. I may check them out next time I'm down.

minimal

Reaction score
My feet are almost as wide as yours, but not in the same way. I usually end up getting shoes that come in a wide width, AND I get them a size larger than I would. They end up being too long, but fit "ok" in the important ways.

Brands I like that come in wide widths: AE, Alden (VERY wide in some cases), Santoni, RM Williams (very wide and stretch nicely). Plus there are some shoes that, although not specified as wide, just "are" for some reason. I keep my eye out for them all the time, and usually get 1 pair a year through this method.

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minimal
My feet are almost as wide as yours, but not in the same way. I usually end up getting shoes that come in a wide width, AND I get them a size larger than I would. They end up being too long, but fit "ok" in the important ways.

Brands I like that come in wide widths: AE, Alden (VERY wide in some cases), Santoni, RM Williams (very wide and stretch nicely). Plus there are some shoes that, although not specified as wide, just "are" for some reason. I keep my eye out for them all the time, and usually get 1 pair a year through this method.

Thanks for the tips. I will look into RM Williams. Imight struggle to find the others in Aus but will look

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That pic is really incredible, how even the lines on the socks bow out.

That said, if the longer size is comfortable, I think it is an acceptable alternative. Many shoemakers are going longer these days anyway, in effect they are doing what you are doing, but for style reasons. Luckily, your 5 size is relatively small, and I don't think anyone bats an eye at someone wearing an 8EE no matter how short they are. If you were something like a 10 it would present big problems as you would have to wear something like a 13EE which I understand could look clownish.

Also, your high instep in this case would be a blessing and not a curse as it will help you fit into the larger shoe.

If it is uncomfortable however, then you should of course look for an alternative. Molded shoe site looks good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads