1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Must See Documentaries

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Mar 31, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

2. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

You guys need to see Gasland. Hydraulic Fracking is a major problem...

Been wanting to see this for a while. Pretty sure 60 Minutes did a segment on fracking a few weeks ago.

60 mins didnt go deep enough, this is a disaster.

[​IMG]

I should probably watch the doc but this is just the issue of the hour for the activist types. 99% of the fluid is water. You never hear frac crews talking about anything but water and sand. And the toxic shit they do put down the hole... where do you think that came from? They're byproducts from gas production - the same CO2 they put down the hole came from gas pulled from another hole somewhere else. The shit is going thousands of feet down. The shallow CBM wells that affect well water is much rarer. There have always been cases of water naturally tainted by gas. Natty gas is the fossil fuel of the future whether we like it or not. All we can do is get better at pulling it out with as minimal an impact as possible.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I should probably watch the doc but this is just the issue of the hour for the activist types. 99% of the fluid is water. You never hear frac crews talking about anything but water and sand. And the toxic shit they do put down the hole... where do you think that came from? They're byproducts from gas production - the same CO2 they put down the hole came from gas pulled from another hole somewhere else. The shit is going thousands of feet down. The shallow CBM wells that affect well water is much rarer. There have always been cases of water naturally tainted by gas. Natty gas is the fossil fuel of the future whether we like it or not. All we can do is get better at pulling it out with as minimal an impact as possible.

Respectfully, disagree.

Watch Gasland and see guys able to light the water running from their faucets on fire.

4. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

2 must sees:

Too Big To Fail - HBO docu-drama, well written and presented

Senna - stunning documentary on the greatest racing driver that has ever lived. The first sequence has you spellbound, even if you are not into racing. The guy entered Formula 1 in one of the weakest cars in the field, after about 5 races they were in Monaco (well regarded as one of the hardest circuits to master) and he carved up the entire field in the pouring rain. An analogy to today would be how badly Usain Bolt is beating the rest of the sprinting world, now have him do it with a 20 pound weight on his back.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Idfnl, where did you see Senna?

6. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Idfnl, where did you see Senna?

DVD, passed on by a friend.

Its superb. I thought I knew a lot about Senna, but there is so much more to the story.

7. Ulyanov

Ulyanov Active Member

The Power of Art with Simon Schama is really great, helped spark an interest in renaissance art for me.

8. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Future by Design

How can 1 guy have some many interesting ideas? And what is fascinating is to see the stuff he was talking about 30 or 40 years ago actually happening.

9. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Well-Known Member

SURFWISE is my favorite documentary of all time probably. Don't Look Back is excellent as well.

10. magogian12345

magogian12345 Well-Known Member

Respectfully, disagree.

Watch Gasland and see guys able to light the water running from their faucets on fire.

Read some of the critiques of Gasland. For example, the "lighting the water on fire" happens regardless of the fracking. But they don't tell you that in the "documentary.'

11. Joffrey

DVD, passed on by a friend.

Its superb. I thought I knew a lot about Senna, but there is so much more to the story.

I finally saw it a few days ago. It's very good. Particularly if you aren't an F1 fan. However, since I am, it was good to learn more about the man. I can see why he is so revered by current drivers and many fans as well.

12. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Harlan County, USA is a classic.

13. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Read some of the critiques of Gasland. For example, the "lighting the water on fire" happens regardless of the fracking. But they don't tell you that in the "documentary.'

I dont know if you saw it or not, but the people being interviewed clearly stated that gas in their water started happening after the fracking started. I think you're mistaken. In addition there are a host of Haliburton chemicals being seen in their drinking water. Haliburton has replaced their well with the huge plastic tanks that Haliburton is paying to fill.

If you see the documentary and hear the stories of all the people getting sick, not to mention all the farm animals you might feel differently. In addition to that, all the chemicals that are secret and are making their way into your drinking water. In an open society issues of public health are being trumped by the power of Haliburton to buy into law protection of the secret chemicals they are using.

Lastly, if this was so harmless, why are the victims getting free water tanks and water and are being paid off and signing statements that they cannot discuss the health and damage in their settlements?? Innocuous chemicals dont usually require such stringent action.

14. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Bobby Fischer Against the World - HBO

15. Joffrey

Odd, because OnDemand it's only 5 minutes long. I can't find the full film

16. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but Hands on a Hard Body is really entertaining. And sad. And entertaining.

17. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Well-Known Member

This was a progaganda movie.

18. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

19. SD1

SD1 Well-Known Member

Gotham Fish Tales. Great, quirky, documentary about recreational fishermen in New York City.

20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Anyone seen "General Orders No. 9"?