1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Must See Documentaries

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by idfnl, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

The glaring difference between undercover police officers and this guy is that when police authorize money they recoup it. From my count Brugger put 135k euros in the pocket of a shady passport dealer and his equally suspect Liberian lawyer, and 15m Central African francs in the hands of an oppressive mine owner/corrupt politician.

The only worth beneficiary of this documentary was Sumeet, Indian match tycoon.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I don't believe most money transacted in undercover operations is recouped. My understanding is, to build a case, you make multiple deals. In most cases unless you make a bust right away that money is gone within hours.

I understand and respect your point, though. My counter is that to expose the behavior you needed to bait a hook. With these roaches you need to flash cash for them to leave the shadows. I would also suggest its a not even a fraction of a drop in the bucket. And remember, he was risking his life.

While the middle man getting him credentials did profit, his name is mud now. I'm sure, given the choice, he wouldn't trade the money for anonymity.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Being Liverpool - This is like Hard Knocks for soccer, not as good but enjoying it....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Awesome.. ESPN 30 for 30 is back!

Watched ep 1 - "Broke" about athletes that go broke after retirement.

Love this series.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Until The Light Takes Us is a really interesting doc on Netflix. Just a bunch of odd Norwegian black metal guys telling their story about the start of black metal. Great sound track and beautifully shot

6. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Something good and new out there, need an little update :)

7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Just watched ep 2 and 3 of ESPN 30 for 30.

'9.79' was about Ben Johnson

'There's no Place Like Home' is about bringing the rules of basketball written by Naismith to Kansas

Both are excellent episodes

8. adsmith4

adsmith4 Well-Known Member

180 Degrees South. Follows one man's journey from California to Patagonia, Chile. The same journey the founder of Patagonia clothing line and a friend made in the 60's. Good movie.

9. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

It's not new but Encounters At the Edge of the World is excellent.

10. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Cocaine Cowboys 1 & 2 (1 is better)

11. CodyNC

CodyNC Well-Known Member

Ken Burns Prohibition and if you love baseball check out his 18 and a half hour Baseball documentary. Well actually anything from Ken Burns is worth watching.

Also, Grand Prix: The Killer Years, its a very emotional documentary but very in depth with lots of graphic footage

12. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

This is why I started the thread. Great rec. Would have never heard about it. Thanks man.

13. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Both big time thumbs up.

If you are into grand prix... see Senna.

14. CodyNC

CodyNC Well-Known Member

Haha I just bought it and Steve McQueen's Le Mans, I haven't had time to watch them yet.

15. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Le Mans is a classic.

See James Gardner is Grand Prix, its brilliant. Brilliant. Better than Grand Prix, actually, but in a different way.

16. adsmith4

adsmith4 Well-Known Member

No problem. Also, like someone posted earlier, everyone needs to check out Cocaine Cowboy's. The first one is fantastic, the second one I didn't really care for. Rakontour makes some really good documentaries. They did Broke and The U for ESPN's 30 for 30, the Cocaine Cowboy's movies, and Square Grouper. They are a quality documentary group.

17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Didnt know they were connected, but makes total sense now. Wow. Fascinating.

18. CodyNC

CodyNC Well-Known Member

Actually it was watching Garner's Grand Prix that got m motivated to watch The Killer Years documentary

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Its gone full circle, then. :nodding:

20. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012