1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mr B's Blake boots vs Grenson Sharp/Fred

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fromuio, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Meursault-

Meursault- Well-Known Member

I went to Aldo with every intention of picking up a pair, but the toe really put me off. On me it looked too blunt and clunky, Doc Marten-esque.

2. canon

canon New Member

After wearing my boots a couple of times the thin leather sole began to separate at the toe, they repaired it once by gluing it back together. Unfortunately it happened again, they removed the thin leather sole and replaced it with a rubber sole, which I do prefer. The service I got was awesome.

Having polished my boots a few times now, i find the darker discoloured areas have become darker and don't blend with the lighter areas as I thought they should. To me it looks like the darker areas were brushed on, I can see lines where the dark dye meets the light coloured leather. That is only while Im polishing them and they are in my hand, on my feet they look like a naturally darkend leather. I did notice a couple of little nicks in various spots but thought it character for the leather.

I think they are super comfortable and because of the price I am not expecting these to last forever. I have 4 pairs of various boots I rotate wearing so if these last 3-4 years I will be ok with that. My thought was for the price I wanted comfort and have them look good to me and anyone else that isn't a shoe whore.

3. chet31

chet31 Well-Known Member

I got my boots and followed along. I believe you are right on most counts, except the stitching on top of the welt is real. The inside of the boot is leather up until about the base of the tongue, at which point it is probably the cloth-type material you describe. The insole is leather. Thanks for a very informative post.

4. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Well done mate ! I went to aldo stores few times but ended up not buying them. Not regrading now !

5. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

But I actually like the Doc Marten clunky styles..does it feel heavy?

6. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

yes they're quite heavy

7. Honthro

Honthro New Member

Hi guys,

A bit of a newbie here. I'm having trouble finding any reviews (one way or another) about Mr. B's collection. I hope I won't get a trashing for posting in this thread as I'm looking for some guidance from fellow SF'ers.

I know Aldo is despised, that's why I'm interested in Mr. B's collection as a possible cheap alternative. I've read Man of Lint's post that this too-good-to-be-true boot is in fact too good to be true, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has had luck with their other collection.

Specifically, I'm considering the Pedregon: http://www.gentlemensboutique.com/catalog/shoes/pedregon/black
    Note: the version I found was same shoe design, but smooth, shiny leather (which I prefer).

My situation: I just started looking into good shoes and my next serious purchase (in 3 years or so, as I lack the funds ATM) will be an AE or some other quality shoe make. In the meantime, I need a proper dress shoe for interviews (IB, M&A and general finance), weddings, outings, etc. I figure if I don't wear this shoe too often, it will not wear out too quickly, and it's pretty conservative (like me). And at $75 (on sale currently), it's nice to know that it's at least better than the average Aldo shoe.

My question: given your experiences with the other Mr. B's collection boots, would you say this is a worthy investment?

8. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine those being any "good" and I would not consider a shoe of that style for " interviews (IB, M&A and general finance), weddings, outings, etc". You could wear them to the bar with a pair of jeans and that is about it. I would have to see the shiny version in order to tell you what is is good for.

To be honest, if your shoe budget is only $75, there really are not may options out there. In general you get what you pay for. Although I would not normally recommend buying used shoes, I think that is the only place where you will find something decent for that price point.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

definitely not.

go on ebay, find a pair of AE seconds or similar.

or up your budget

10. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Worn mine about 15 times now, no complaints. MOL is right about the construction but honestly, they are breaking in very nicely and look great.

11. Honthro

Honthro New Member

I managed to get a picture of the shiny version. The build seems sturdy enough to last however many "special occasions". And I think it looks nice enough to not only be worn to "the bar with a pair of jeans". Or am I off?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the used AEs everyone's been talking about, I simply can't buy a used pair of shoes, no matter how good the condition is. So for me, getting some money and waiting for a deal on AEs is the only real solution. But in the meantime, a man's gotta work, and I'm hoping these shoes will last however long until I can get my hands on some AEs or G&Gs

12. Quadcammer

lol at mentioning AEs and G&G in the same breath.

These shoes are no good.

Get yourself a pair of Johnston and Murphy, Florsheim, or Cole Haans at the local outlet. Black or burgundy will be fine. At least at that point you'll have some rain/winter beaters for use when you buy nicer shoes.

13. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

^

Those are some strange looking shoes and I would stay away.

14. Honthro

Honthro New Member

Part of the problem is I'm Canadian, eh. Many of those brands don't make it up here, and the ones I would want (like Florsheim) include outrageous shipping charges (like $40).

Can anyone point me to an aggregate list of the various makers/brands as organized by quality (if such a thing exists) ?

15. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

+1. For under $100 you can't beat Florsheims.

16. Quadcammer

Meh I'd put florsheim and J&M at the same level, and cole haan just barely above them.

17. Wilf

Wilf Member

I'd prefer Florsheim!

18. erikl

erikl Member

Can early purchasers of these shoes chime in with updates on durability? I purchased a pair today from an Aldo store, got home and upon closer inspection noticed that stitching across a portion of the forefoot on one shoe was totally obliterated (not sure what would've caused this, maybe the antiquing?). Anyways, not a great indicator of things to come but hopefully this was an aberration.

19. Quadcammer

mine are holding up fine. Had them probably 4 months, worn probably a dozen times. No issues really

20. runners n jeans

runners n jeans Member

Just purchased a pair of these online, though I think I'd be more pleased with AE Dalton seconds for $150 if those ever go on sale again at that price... I can always return these at a local Aldo store if I am dissatisfied with them.

The Dark Brown color is on sale for $139.98 on the Aldo website (sizes 7-13), and there's a 10% coupon good until March 15: LUCKYU31511