1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Moving Home

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by trogdor, May 26, 2006.

1. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

I thought I'd seek some advice: I'll soon be moving home. It will be permanent, to a different continent, and not do-able by land travel alone.

It now dawns on me that my absurdly large collection of shirts, ties, suits and shoes might not have been such a prudent acquisition. The practicalities of moving it all seem more complex than the rest of my stuff (which basically consists of boxes of books).

Does anyone have any useful tips on the sartorial aspects of the move? Good ways to pack things? Tales of your own experiences in such matters? Things NOT to do?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I thought I'd seek some advice: I'll soon be moving home. It will be permanent, to a different continent, and not do-able by land travel alone.

It now dawns on me that my absurdly large collection of shirts, ties, suits and shoes might not have been such a prudent acquisition. The practicalities of moving it all seem more complex than the rest of my stuff (which basically consists of boxes of books).

Does anyone have any useful tips on the sartorial aspects of the move? Good ways to pack things? Tales of your own experiences in such matters? Things NOT to do?

I didn't find my clothing to be that complicated to move from israel to the US - I basically folded everything and packed it in large plastic bags inside large carboard boxes. I don't know if this is the best way, but it worked well. I had no damage.

the books cost me a fortune to move, though.

remind me where you are going? I am sorry, is it south east europe?

3. trogdor

remind me where you are going? I am sorry, is it south east europe?

Ireland.

I was thinking that some of the clothes might make for good packing material. Don't tell Mr. Kabbaz, but in my estimation, shirts will fold nicely around things like crockery and glassware...

4. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

You can get the bags that allow you to remove all the air from the bag - squeezes things down quite a bit. And will keep the bugs and elements out. Inserting some cardboard pieces may help prevent the worst of the wrinkles - however everything should simply hang or steam out with no real problem. Anyway, it will make packing a great deal easier.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Just how much does it cost to move intercontinental? Is it cost effective to move furniture or do you just not bother with that? What about heavy kitchen equipment? I am considering moving to China and am trying to decide if it's worthwhile for me to buy furniture, etc. now if I might move soon.

6. ATM

ATM Well-Known Member

I've seen boxes that have a rod for hanging clothes built into them. A moving company once packed clothes for me using them.

7. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I've seen boxes that have a rod for hanging clothes built into them. A moving company once packed clothes for me using them.

For what it's worth, we sell those at Penske and one can get them at Allboxes. Sometimes Staples and places like that have them.

Don't know if that helps with international shipping?

8. maxnharry

maxnharry Well-Known Member

Any ideas on how one would pack suits in something like a duffle bag? Have a trip coming up that limits the kinds of luggage that I can bring.

9. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

They're called wardrobe boxes and they are very convenient. I use them whenever possible and I've never had problems. Every moving store carries them and every mover has them.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the move! I've moved intercontinentally a few times. It's a hassle, but still worth it. It's also a good opportunity to clean out the cobwebs, and consider the wardrobe. If you haven't worn something in a year or two, it's a good time to send it on it's way, either to a charity or eBay.

11. stach

stach Well-Known Member

Kent if I were you I would buy the furniture there. They make a lot of our furniture now, anyways -

12. stach

stach Well-Known Member

trog, when I moved cross country I flew with my most valuable clothing in checked baggage. Get exact details on luggage size/weight from your airline. Different planes have different size overhead storage dimensions, for example. You might be able to ship your books with the post office at their printed matter rate. I'm not sure how that works in Canada. Sweaters, scarves and socks make great packing cushions. [​IMG]

13. Duveen

Duveen Well-Known Member

Not sure about Canada, but the USPS has a specific 'student rate' for shipping printed matter and books. You get a funny little bag that you slide your boxes in and it costs you next to nothing to do it...

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I'm sure UPS or any company can ship boxes of clothing.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

kent, don't buy anything here.

16. trogdor

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've now moved, and my stuff arrived yesteraday. It took a couple of months for it to get here, but it all seems to have arrived unscathed.

The moving company I used had what they called "Laydown Wardrobe" boxes, which were basically long, flat carboard boxes (coffin shaped) into which one could layer about 10 suits, flat. This has meant that the suits arrived basically un-crinkled. Everything else was folded neatly, and put into plastic bags inside larger boxes, and it seems to have worked a treat.

All in all, it wasn't too expensive to ship stuff by sea, but I didn't bring any furniture so I can't comment on that (sorry Kent).