1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Movie Cliches - Which Ones Do You Really Dislike?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willpower, May 8, 2010.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

Training Day is chock-full of cop cliches, but i oh so looooove that movie. Ive watched it a hundred times and it still entertains me. i dont know, something about it is always fresh.

especially the scene where Denzel calls up his team and they meet at the parking garage roof. when dr dre says "youre a long way from starbucks. stay out of our way, this is for the big dawgs" and then they pan to the other guy he spits on the ground. so funny but so cool i love that movie.
    also all the LA gangsters who act so cliche when they rolled up in to their neighborhood.
    and the exclamation "BLAST DEM FOOLS!" is throughout the movie. so cliche.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

The dumbest movie cliche:
    White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
    White man gets in trouble and is saved by female member of native population
    White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
    White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
    White man's bosses continue with plans for destroying native population
    Bosses begin to destroy native population.
    Truth comes out that white man knew the whole time.
    White man is exiled from native population.
    White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
    White man leads native population against his own population.
    Native population is triumphant against a much more advanced white population.
    Happily ever after.

3. sho'nuff

White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
    White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
    White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
    White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
    Happily ever after.

sounds like a pretty good rough draft screenplay. pretty epic. you should develop this and send it to hollywood. i'd be the first in line to see something like this!!

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^I used to watch Pochahantas and Ferngully with the RubeBabes when they were little. Nice little movie.

5. EdenResident

EdenResident Well-Known Member

-Cop wakes up from his nightmare and immediately grabs his gun at bedside. Cop then shows that it's loaded to indicate what a grim, violent world he's living in.
    -Cop then goes brush his teeth, where he looks at his rugged, sleep-deprived self in the mirror.
    -Cop keeps having nightmarish visions about that one time when his bravado causes the death of a hostage, typically a little girl.
    -Cop turns in his badge and gun to the authority so he can go after the criminal personally.
    -Cop finally has the criminal at gun point. His friend (probably another cop) talks him out of pulling the trigger. As he lowers his gun, the jerk does something stupid to provoke him. Cop shoots the dumbass dead.

6. sho'nuff

--Cop finally has the criminal at gun point. His friend (probably another cop) talks him out of pulling the trigger. As he lowers his gun, the jerk does something stupid to provoke him. Cop shoots the dumbass dead.

the cliche cop 'twist' - to find out that the criminal is your best friend cop all along after all. [​IMG]

7. steviecakes

steviecakes Well-Known Member

Happily ever after.

someone should do this. except with aliens. and 3D. yeah [​IMG]

8. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

When a shipwrecked person swims to shore, he must immediately sleep the moment he makes it to the beach.

9. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

when a rain of bullets from automatic rifles from goons seems to miss the good guys, and yet it only takes one shot from a pistol to kill each of them.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

someone should do this. except with aliens. and 3D. yeah [​IMG]

I fucking wish Avatar was the only movie to have done that.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

This thread is awesome. I haven't read the middle pages yet, so if this is covered ground, please forgive me.

I have nothing against retarded people. In fact, I'm that guy that tells people not to make retarded people jokes in front of me. I think it's appalling.

However, death row, and prisons in general, are chock full of retards. Why the hell does every retarded kid in a movie have to be some kind of saint?

Forrest Gump
    Green Mile
    I am Sam

Same with most other handicapped people (etc. wheelchair-bound people, who have strangely been cast as villains more than you would normally think).

I also hate the "older black male who offers guilt-ridden white folks atonement." Ridiculously paternalistic. Found in almost every Morgan Freeman movie ever made (although he's still a kickass actor) and kicked up to dizzying heights in Bagger Vance.

12. FLMountainMan

Happily ever after.

Don't tell Jon. This is his ethos.

13. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    As an extension of all the gun talk:

- Guy with gun fires off half a dozen mags of rounds, only to immediately capture target and press the gun against the head/skin of the target. Somehow the target is completely immune to the fact that the barrel of said gun would be blazing hot.

Cocking a gun five fucking times for effect. e.g. the hero loads his gun, cock, the hero leaves to get into the action, cock, the hero encounters action, cock, the hero shows he means biznatch, cock.

+1,000

Movie guns are remarkably noisy in general. The slightest movement makes them click and rattle. If any of my guns sounded like that I'd be very, very concerned.

14. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    However, death row, and prisons in general, are chock full of retards. Why the hell does every retarded kid in a movie have to be some kind of saint?

Forrest Gump
    Green Mile
    I am Sam

Green Mile actually somehow managed to be both. It had a retard in prison on death row, yet he was a saint.

15. v0rtex

v0rtex Well-Known Member

As I read this thread I kept thinking about the film that would result if you tried to make a film containing every single one of these cliches... awesome, terrible, or so terrible it becomes awesome?

16. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

I also hate the "older black male who offers guilt-ridden white folks atonement." Ridiculously paternalistic. Found in almost every Morgan Freeman movie ever made (although he's still a kickass actor) and kicked up to dizzying heights in Bagger Vance.

The magical negro?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_negro

17. v1100110

v1100110 Well-Known Member

I have nothing against retarded people. In fact, I'm that guy that tells people not to make retarded people jokes in front of me. I think it's appalling.

However, death row, and prisons in general, are chock full of retards.

LOL, It's good to know we have someone standing up for all the retards out there.

My thing is when an expert hacker, driver or whatever kind of talent will be brought in and the character working with them/against them will say, to no one in particular, "This guy is good" as they watch them work.

18. Verno Inferno

Verno Inferno Well-Known Member

As I read this thread I kept thinking about the film that would result if you tried to make a film containing every single one of these cliches... awesome, terrible, or so terrible it becomes awesome?

I think it would just be a Jerry Bruckheimer movie.

19. runner-guy

runner-guy Well-Known Member

1. Shooting at a car to make it explode. Can't happen. 2. Cool guys walking away from something exploding in the background:

20. FLMountainMan

Inconsistent use of superpowers.