1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dron

dron Well-Known Member

And since I have zero mechanical inclination and no one to teach me anything, I'll probably just stick with my bicycle [​IMG]

no no. do it man its great fun and you will learn as you go.
    i bought this about 2 months ago without having the license or any idea about how a motor works:
    [​IMG]
    so far i have broken more than i have fixed on it, but i think i'm getting better and i will have the license in a good weeks time.

2. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

I am the new owner a Dr 'Big' 800s since about two weeks. Tonight i rode about 50k. Tomorrow I'll ride another 145k (about 90 miles). This would be great, except for the unreliability of the engine when slowing down to almost zero.

In these circumstances, I still look forward to it. (I'm a card carrying member of the Dutch AAA.)

When I get my hand on a camera, I'll make some pictures.

3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new bike

4. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

5. captmomo

captmomo Well-Known Member

6. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Well-Known Member

Just the poser factor and the fact you can't throw a rock without hitting a Triumph down in SoCal....
    Poser factor...? Could you please elaborate on that?
    And as far as beginning to ride, what are some other bikes to consider then if Triumph's are that much looked down upon.

7. Agnacious

Agnacious Well-Known Member

Good save! Left to right: My Honda '75 CB400F, my homeboy's '72 Honda CL350, my bro's gf's 250 Ninja and my bro's immaculate, frame up fully restored '76 Yamaha RD400. [​IMG]
    My father has a CL450, it has that exhaust pipe configuration which was supposed to make it a cross between an off road and street bike if I recall. I think the last time he rode it was in 1980 or so and has sat it in shed for the last 30 years. He lost the battle with my mother to ever ride it again and she lost the battle of him ever selling it.

8. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

I'm kopping a Harley boizzzzz! Prob an 883 sportster for now, since its my first bike. Maybe I'll move up to something else when I'm bored.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

And as far as beginning to ride, what are some other bikes to consider then if Triumph's are that much looked down upon.

I would not worry too much about poser factor, seems like a silly reason to rule out what is a fantastic motorcycle. Buy what you like and what fits you well.

I'm kopping a Harley boizzzzz! Prob an 883 sportster for now, since its my first bike. Maybe I'll move up to something else when I'm bored.

Good choice, which Sportster are you getting? The Iron 883 is a very cool bike, but then, I guess I am biased.. [​IMG]

10. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

I would not worry too much about poser factor, seems like a silly reason to rule out what is a fantastic motorcycle. Buy what you like and what fits you well. Good choice, which Sportster are you getting? The Iron 883 is a very cool bike, but then, I guess I am biased.. [​IMG]
    thats the one haha I wanna custom it a bit tho. Change the bars, straight pipes, maybe even wrap the pipes. What colour do you have ? Edit: nvm saw yours, nice bike!!

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

thats the one haha I wanna custom it a bit tho. Change the bars, straight pipes, maybe even wrap the pipes. What colour do you have ?

Edit: nvm saw yours, nice bike!!

Kept mine stock, although the V&H short shots look great on the Iron. What bars are you thinking of doing? Hope there aren't a lot of potholes where you live, there's almost no travel in the suspension of those bikes, you'll probably be needing some spine surgery in a few years. I actually think the '48 magnifies this, but love hurts..

12. Gravitas

Gravitas Well-Known Member

Here's my project bike: [​IMG] It's an '85 Suzuki GS700. As with many people I desired a budget project, but soon had visions of greener pastures. I posted a shot a few pages back of three rolls of fabric: carbon fiber, kevlar (though I think the seller sent me carbon/kevlar, not a big deal, i'll just use that up first) and texalium (aluminized fiberglass), with these materials i'm doing lost foam molding of a seat and tank (texalium being the outermost layer). The main issue when I picked it up was with the carbs. Wanting something a bit easier to maintain, I decided to go for EFI. Hmm, this part ended up being a bit more costly than I had initially realized, but hey, it's what I want, right? [​IMG] On its way currently is a MicroSquirt Fuel Injection Controller to go with a set of GSX-R throttle bodies and fuel pump. I also picked up a Bosch Wideband O2 sensor and a 14point7 controller for that. When I purchased the bike it had a Dynatek Dyno 2000 aftermarket ignition box, which i'm going to leave that duty to right now. As far as gauges go, it had one from a bicycle (Trek, no joke) so I decided to order a Veypor digital gauge. I'm hoping that with the MS, Dyno2000 and the Veypor i'll be able to get some tuning in fairly easily. All of these things are going under the seat, with the stock one traded out for one cafe styled. For the seat pad, i'm using black stingray (almost went with graphite Alcantara, but figured the stingray would be more interesting visually and texturally). The swingarm is from a Yamaha Maxim 400. I wanted the rear suspension to be a bit more visible, it certainly is, but also sits a good bit higher (might get the suspension shortened). I need another few inches on my kickstand. As far as lighting goes, i'm switching out the current light for a 5 3/4in housing fitted with an HID projector from a Cadillac DTS (nicely made for a lot cheaper than an S2000 or TL setup, but a bit bulkier) with an "angel eye" CCFL trimming the edge of the lens (the sort of accent lighting seen on BMWs). I'm using LED 'Busa turn/brake lights at the rear, with the stock pod turn signals at the front. Hopefully this all gets finished before it gets too cold (then again, as long as there isn't snow, fuck it!). Once it does get too cold, i'm going to take everything off to powdercoat/paint or replace (spraying the frame black at my work, i'd like an overall black and silver bike). I hope in the end looks brutally elegant. I'll upload more pics/progress later if you guys are interested.

13. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

I am. Do you have an example of something you're working towards?

14. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

People who like to buy things, stand next to them and "pose" without really wanting to ride out on the open road.

It doesn't really matter, get a Triumph if you think you'll ride it. Just buy it because it "looks cool" and it would justify a leather jacket...

15. Gravitas

Gravitas Well-Known Member

This bike is somewhat close: [​IMG] Here's a sketch I did before the swingarm came (I have more accurate drawings though I haven't completely decided dimensions): [​IMG] Texalium with unmixed Silmar (made a sheet with it that turned out well despite a leaky bag): [​IMG] Stingray close-up (I need to pick up a macro lens for my phone): [​IMG]

16. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

This bike is somewhat close:
    [​IMG]

That one looks awesome and uncomfortable[​IMG]

17. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I love my Bonneville - it's a great bike. Right now its in the shop getting all sorts of work done, but it should be back just in time for the fall weather.Here it is pre-mods: [​IMG] Here's my old ride - fun but in a different way [​IMG]

18. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I'm in, PM me and we'll work something out.. Some of the routes through the Smokies would be great..

Hope he heals soon, sorry to hear that..

If you guys actually do this and don't mind a straight twin tag along, let me know.

19. .bishop

.bishop Well-Known Member

anyone watch the GP? poor nicky [​IMG]

20. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Anybody here do Dual-sport/Adventure riding?