1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

It hasn't been long enough. One day you too will tire of driving to 7-11 instead of walking to the corner bodega. You'll miss the food choices, the diverse population, the action and the life. What you won't miss are the high taxes, the high insurance costs, the even higher housing costs and the traffic.

I've been to Charlotte and it is friggin backwards...and I live in slow ass suburban DC

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I thought track days were like 500-700 a day?

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

It depends what you want. I've had everything NYC has to offer. I'm in my early 30s now, married. I need a yard, a house, and a commute that doesn't warrant homicide. Charlotte's not the most exotic city, but it's a great place to live. Plus as cheap as it is down here, I can go visit whenever I want. I was just up there in March for business and I'm going back next month for fun. If you're not a billionaire that's the best way to take NYC in. Small vacation bites.

4. ridethecliche

I want a striple r.

Haha, now I understand why certain people tell you to just get the bike you've wanted all along instead of going lower first, unless you're cool learning on something and taking a bit of a hit when selling it. Definitely haven't outgrown the SV obviously, but I don't think the striple will try to kill me as it would have if I'd gotten it on day 1.

I think the itch to change it up is because there's something else I've wanted since I started dreaming about wanting a bike.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  5. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Cliche is crazy.

1 person likes this.
  6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I might have to move to NYC for a year after we're finished in London. Got mixed feelings about it. NYC is like that really good pasta with truffle sauce you never knew about but - once you found it - nothing else satisfies quite like it. Then you think about it and say, "Shit, why am I eating all this truffle pasta? It's not even good for me! And it's twice as expensive as any healthy option." In fact it makes you kind of miserable a lot of the time. But you keep eating it. Because nothing tastes quite like it.

Maybe I can set up in Hastings or something.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  7. Rumpelstiltskin

Ditto

Put as many miles as humanly possible on the SV, preferably less slabbing and more twisties. The striple will wait for you... and it will be that much cheaper

8. Rumpelstiltskin

Exactly! For the right amount of money I would move back to NYC in a heartbeat although the idea of $4,000 rent makes my skin crawl. And I mean Manhattan and nothing but Manhattan. You don't know pain until your commute consisted of a bus and 2 trains from eastern Queens to the Bronx everyday for high school. Ugh. I've been putting out feelers tho. I would park my car at my dad's house out in Queens and ride/subway/Uber 90% of the time.

9. ridethecliche

That's where tinkering comes in till then I guess. The crisis was caused by a wickedly underpriced striple R. Turns out it was rebuilt. Guy said that the bike was recovered after being stolen with the battery and seat missing but the guys got caught pretty fast.

I don't think I'm messing around with rebuilt/salvage title bikes. It's hard enough to figure out when the bike HASN'T been wrecked if it's clean...
    NYC has led to too many mornings spent wondering how the hell I got the receipts in my pocket.
    Once a friend dared me to match someone on tinder and go home with them. That was an interesting night. She was pretty damn cute though.

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

U know once I graduated from college it was like an aspirational goal to move to Manhattan. My wife and I finally did (after being priced out of where we wanted to be in BK lol) and that's what wound up making us fully hate NYC. It wasn't even the rent.... it was the day to day grind. It eats away at you. I was even fortunate enough to be able to ride my motorcycle in to work. Still sucked. Plus there are decent roads not too far out of the city, but my god riding in the city itself sucks. Weather, pockmarked roads, traffic... don't be fooled, it's worse than you remember.

2 people like this.
  11. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

A motorcycle is as dangerous as it's operator. You can kill yourself on anything.

The real question you need to ask yourself is: Will I be upset if I lay this down?

12. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

I wanted a small bag so I could ride my R1100 to work and not wear a backpack. It's handy, but of course not as handy as some side panniers would be. It also was $100 and a side pannier setup (BMW system cases) would run me $400+

13. ridethecliche

I would always be upset if something happened. The bike isn't my primary mode of transportation so it's not a HUGE deal if something happens to it. That said, fixing an issue on an SV with a bazillion parts floating around would be way cheaper than tracking down used bits for a street triple R.

This was the bike in question. Turns out it's a rebuilt title. That sketches me out. (http://www.esalvagecar.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15906071)

Then again, it's not all that much cheaper since it'd probably cost me like 200-300 to get it back up to MA from NY if it's even legal to register and insure here. No idea how that stuff works between states. It also looks like the bike is about 1.5-2k cheaper than other used bikes in the age-range. I'm not sure that's enough for a rebuilt titled bike. I'd be the 3rd owner and resale is going to be pretty shit on it if I ever have to get rid of it.

Rump definitely has a point though. The street triple is just going to get more and more common on the used market as time goes on. I want one of the black and red ones with the under-engine exhaust which is 2013 and beyond. So that's going to be pricey for atleast the next year or two. Only thing is that next summer is going to be the last summer I'm going to ever have so I'd like to enjoy the hell out of it and ride as much as humanly possible. I can still do that, but my choice of life is going to lead to a lot of delayed gratification. I have no problem living like a student but I'd like to be able to enjoy atleast one thing while I'm still young (and stupid).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  14. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I'm going to make an uneducated guess but i'm thinking an SV650 is a lot cheaper to insure than a striple R for someone who just started riding.

Also, avoid rebuilt anything.

2 people like this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Nah, a motorcycle is as dangerous as the surrounding four wheel drivers. Nothing the biggest, baddest, best rider can do when grandma decides to run a stop light in her 20 year old tank of a Buick and T-bones you.

1 person likes this.
  16. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

If I remember right, he hasn't even taken a motorcycle safety class, so his insurance has to be insane even without stepping up to a triple.

17. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

This.. I've low-sided a few times out of stupidity, but the closest I've come to being killed is by inattentive shitheads who are texting as they approach a red light or zip out in my path turning left cause they "think they can make it" or "didn't see him"

1 person likes this.
  18. ridethecliche

The class is only 10% off insurance. I'd rather ride around a bit and take the more advanced class that has you ride at speeds that more closely mimic real situations. I.e. not riding at 20 around a parking lot from how I've seen the courses in MA described. I wish I'd had the foresight to sign up when I was abroad. I would have just done one for free in PA and gotten it over with.

19. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

You can learn a lot riding around a parking lot at low speed.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rumpelstiltskin

He needs to put at least 10,000 miles on that thing before thinking about moving up. He needs some time to develop some muscle memory so that his body reacts properly instead of just panicking and grabbing a handful of brakes

I came around a right hand high speed bend and found a 8' metal ladder laying across the road with not enough room to stop. I lucked out as there was about 3' between the end of the ladder and the grass so I ran the corner really wide and was able to get around it on the far left shoulder. The ole sphincter got exercised that day I tellya!

As a new rider I would have

1. Locked my brakes and slid right into it or
    2. Target fixated and ran right into it

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015