1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah, who designed that shit... It is awful

2. GSARider

GSARider Active Member

This is me out on my Ducati Diavel...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

How fucked by insurance will I be if someone hits my vintage bike?

Are they just going to offer me 500 bucks because hey, you're just lucky it was still working 35 years later?

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/4975269541.html

I feel him dawg

I wanna get an old 1000 and throw some dirt bike bars on it. These dudes are pricing these bikes like they are selling Amber Rose pussy. There is no reason a K1 750-1000 should cost any more than $4K and that would be an IMMACULATE one.

Look at this shit

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/5057588712.html

Dude is asking $9K for a stretched K4................ so he can trade for a cruiser :facepalm: These dudes dont give a shit about the bike itself, they are just buying into the image. I hope they all sell for cruisers this year.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

It's like BMW fanbois.

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I've noticed this quite a bit too. I periodically browse CL for motorcycles, and last week I saw a 5 year old Triumph Street Triple for almost list price.

7. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Rumpelstiltskin

Tis the season tho. If you want low prices, wait until January. I saw an 07 Aprilia Tuono (I used to love that bike) w/18,000 miles selling for $4400 so it is not all bad.

[​IMG]

9. EgliComet

EgliComet Well-Known Member

Get a policy that states the agreed upon value. The collection that I manage has about 100 bikes on it through Hagerty and we go through this with every vehicle.

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

But does that matter when someone else hits me? Like uninsured motorist coverage that would pay out above what the other person's insurance is willing to cover.

I don't have comprehensive coverage right now...I'm OK with the loss (my bike just isn't that valuable) if it happens to be my own fault...but I'd be pretty pissed to be out a bunch of money because someone was texting and merged into me and their insurance company decided my bike was only worth $600 because you can get a "running" 70's japanese bike of unknown care and provenance from some farmer in iowa for that much.

I'll look into it though.

11. Piobaire

Do you guys wear any clothing with body armour pockets? Kevlar jeans?

12. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Well, I do wear kevlar jeans. sometimes with knee protectors in.

Actually considering having a tailor here custom make me a pair of jeans or slacks with a fabric I have faith in with kevlar. I wear a 34/36 , which is pretty much unobtainium when it comes to motorcycle jeans.. Would be a very Styfo project..

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Leather jacket with shoulder/elbow/back armor.

I have some kevlar-lined jeans. Tried to find the least "douche-bro" or "dad-jean" model I could without ponying up for something like Maple jeans (also, I think maple uses both pretty heavy denim and a full kevlar terrycloth lining...so hot as shit). Errored a little on the dad jean side, but not too much.
    They have knee pockets and I bought some D3O armor which is much slimmer and more flexible than standard armor.

Haven't shopped for motorcycle pants in a while...some of the options here look not bad:
    http://gearpatrol.com/2014/09/29/best-motorcycle-jeans/

One of them says you can even send in your own pants and they will insert kevlar in the important bits. That sounds nice. As does the fact that some of those companies are using "denim" with kevlar woven into it rather than a liner. This would probably be a lot more comfortable in hot weather.

Also, I don't need them to look like jeans...any other kind of pant that would be wearable casually would be fine...I would wear kevlar chinos (although lighter colors might get dirty too fast), but most of what is out there is either too douchey, too powerranger, or too ADV-rider.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  14. Rumpelstiltskin

I have 2 nice fully armoured leather jackets but other than my 1 piece leather suit I don't have any leg protection. I'd like to get a pair of Maples as they are the Rolls Royce of motorcycle denim. I think Trini has a pair

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  15. Piobaire

How much to Maples go for?

16. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Like $400.

A pair of Bull It jeans are pretty much just as durable. They're not selvedge, but you wreck the benefits of selvedge in one slide.

But hey, for the rider who has everything...

17. Piobaire

If the blessed event should ever happen (I get a bike) I'll look at both. As I plan to maybe ride 3-4 times a month it's not like I'd need more than one pair.

18. Cool The Kid

Im trying to figure out what to do for pants as well. I finally just got some riding boots which is very key, though the left one digs into my ankle a bit. It's hitting the 90s down here with a good amount of humidity, which I can manage with boots and a mesh jacket on the highway.... but as far as pants go I'm pretty much naked. And I can't think of any easy solutions.

19. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

You could get some draggin liners and knee armour. Then you can throw on whatever jeans you want.

Or dainese summer two piece suit for all-day shenanigans.

I have different gear for different riding mindsets. Kevlar jeans for casual tooling around town. Suit up for long, focused days.

Lululemon shorts for riding to yoga.

Fuck, I miss my bike. I'm in London for two years and she's home in the states. I will visit her in July. =(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  20. Cool The Kid

Well my main riding is commuting. So ideally the solution would be overpants that wouldn't cook me or be a PITA to change out of.