1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I keep meaning to order some extra sunglasses from zennioptical.com that I can keep on the bike. I already wear glasses under my helmet...but at least this way I would be sure to always have a tinted pair on the bike that I could swap to

Tinted visor sounds great (been thinking about getting a chromed/mirror finish one) but riding in the dark worries me. I guess I could just ride with the visor up as long as it isn't cold or I am not going too fast (and my eyeglasses would still keep stuff directly out of my eyes). Even though swapping visors is easy, there is no convenient place on the bike to keep a spare visor.

Maybe I should get one of those scorpion helmets with the flip-down sunshade.

2. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Same here as most everyone else - I have a dark smoke visor for my daytime riding and a clear one for nighttime.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

I had one of those. They are heavy and IIRC the sunshade gets scratched up too.

4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I'm really diggin' those Scramblers for the simplicity of it.

Also, Mother of God.jpg, that dude in the vid... mustache, bow tie, haircut...

Get this when it's available: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/protectint-arai-light-reactive-sai-max-vision-pinlock-insert

I run a photochromic shield on my Bell and it is great.

5. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

Flip ups are heavy. Why not just tuck it inside your jacket along your ribs? JR has a few models with a specific sleeve for this.

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

I bought one of those for the g/f EXO1000

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I don't mean a flip up helmet. Just like...a little plastic visor that can flip down in front of your eyes. I borrowed a coworker's EXO-700 or something a few years ago and thought it was a neat feature. Maybe heavier than a super high end helmet, but didn't feel any worse than my current helmet.

Didn't know about jackets with a visor pocket...that's a clever idea, but I worry it would make the jacket kind of awkward off the bike...can't toss it over the back of a chair or something without being careful of the visor.

8. rohde88

Oh I know the model. Its not very common but some people love that feature.

The visor is fine. Its protected by jacket and they will bend a lot before cracking or warping permanently.

If you want more For day/night riding and an easy place to store a large piece of plastic. Youre kind of hoping for the moon here.

9. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I decided to order the clear. I do a lot of night riding and wouldn't want to swap visors, since I can be forgetful and am usually running a little late.

For the past six years or so I've used one of those tinted plastic films that attach to the top of the shield w/o any glue and are removable. Good enough for commuting, but if I was on the bike for hours I'd wear sunglasses.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  10. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I picked up one of these for my Arai Vector 2 last year and have been loving it. I usually would ride with a clear visor and sunglasses. I like the Oakley Wind Jacket sunglasses because I can swap out photochromic lenses on cloudy days/night for polarized lenses on very sunny days.

[​IMG]

But it's nice to keep my sunglasses packed away entirely on longer days out, especially if it's too cold for visor-up enjoyment.

Arai Pro Shade
    [​IMG]

The sunshade locks into the upright position pretty easily when not in use.

11. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine has one. Problem is Joe Rocket makes fugly jackets

12. rohde88

+1, but can't have everything!

1 person likes this.
  13. MarioImpemba

Dunno why you wouldn't of gone for the photochromic shield then.

14. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I don't think Arai makes a photochromic shield, do they? They do make an insert though. I thought of getting that, but I'll be replacing my helmet in a year and the extra expense didn't seem worth it.

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I hear there's one in development...

1 person likes this.
  16. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Having a photochromic shield is the one thing I miss with my current Schuberth. I thought about getting an e-tint one which would be the perfect solution, but I have heard they have terrible quality issues where the dimming feature fails on certain crystals causing weird patchiness.

I use a light 50% tint which is sort of best/worst of all worlds situation. Works okay at night and okay during the day. If it is too dark and I am not going fast, I'll just flip the lid up to see, but I fully admit I don't do a lot of nighttime riding.

17. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Ooooo a photochromic shield would be the shit. Def gonna get a Bell helmet for their shield next go round. My tinted shield is a big part of why I don't ride at night.

18. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Shark helmets have an internal visor. No need to carry 2 shields

19. MarioImpemba

1 person likes this.
  20. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Did someone say something?

Actually, I strangely didn't see your post. But ya, as I mentioned, since my helmet's over 4 yrs old, I'll be replacing it w/in a year and I couldn't justify $100 for a shield + insert. I may also give up riding soon. Having a daughter makes me much more concerned about death than I'd ever been.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015