1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I was so paranoid about running out of gas on my trip, I'd fill up at every major stop. I got to the point where I could eyeball the tank and get within $1.00 of how much gas I needed to top it up.

I'd probably get one of those small stainless steel gas containers for future roadtrips.

2. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

She's alive! :D

Since the move into a new apartment that sucked up all cash and time this summer I had to postpone work on the suzuki.
    Last month I finally was able to start working on it again, and also figured out what had eluded me in spring. The airbox had a crack in it that made it run (if it ran at all) very lean. Ripped out the airbox as an original part would cost a fortune and I want to convert it cafe style anyway. Fitted individual pods last weekend and 3 sizes larger main jets, turned out the mixture screws 4 times and she started on the first try. On a test run down the street she bucked and really didn't 'go' between 3 and 8k rpm. As the shop was closed already I had to postpone further steps until this weekend, fitted an even larger main jet (now 107,5, up from 97,5) and set the jet needle up one step higher. She now picks up better, but still hesitates at around 6k rpm, so ill move the needles to their highest point coming weekend.

aside from that long story though, she ran! celebrated with an 80 km drive to the next city and back, and didn't even care about a little rain. (the hesitation was temporarily solved with the choke) :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

2 people like this.
  3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

It never ends!
    After filling up my empty tank yesterday, I also checked my carb diaphragm that has a tendency to slip. It had popped loose again, so I fixed it and the bike once again felt like it was bursting with energy.

Decide to ride it again today, pull around the first corner and *POP* the clutch cable snaps.

Wasn't looking forward to potential stop and go traffic without a clutch so I turned around, parked it, and took a Lyft to work :fu:

4. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Any recs on good tires for commuting? I ride about 40-120 miles a week depending on weather and I'm down past the wear bars.

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Pilot Roads are nice. I think they are up to the fourth version of them

7. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Picked this up last year. Go ahead and laugh. [​IMG] [​IMG] This got passed over a few weeks back and deserves a quote :slayer: A beautiful example of a 40 year old machine.Looks to be in great shape! Restored or original? I have a CB360 and a CB750:satisfied:

8. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Hey @bluecollar, did you do the wiring on your build yourself?

9. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

I did man. Pain in the ass working on 40 year old machines and new components though.

10. Rumpelstiltskin

Yamaha lovers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. That is just what I need for my daily commute in Boston.

1 person likes this.
  12. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Cool.

I've been mulling over installing a Motogadget gauge and M-unit over the winter but I have zero wiring experience.

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Needed something warmer for my fingers to keep riding a bit longer this season.

Ordered a couple pairs of gloves and ended liking these the best:
    [​IMG]
    AGV Sport Telluride Gloves

And at $57.60, they were the cheapest I looked at, which is always a plus.

Little stiff at the start, but they are real leather fingers so they should break in a bit more (and it wasn't too bad). Not sure how cold they will really go, but they should be good for my purposes. Last night and this morning, my fingers were not the coldest part of my body!

14. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

My winter riding gloves are the Alpinestars Apex Drystar gloves.

They do the trick but my fingers feel so restricted in them.....

15. Cool The Kid

I just got heated grips, but now with daylight savings its pretty much night time by the time I get out of work so they are kind of going to waste

Will still be good to have in February or so once we are well past the winter solstice and for resale value but still.

Re: R1, literbikes are starting to become a little silly to me. IDK, I am just not excited about it at all, aside from it slamming current R1 prices down to where maybe I will be able to make a streetfighter out of one. Yall heard about that street version of Honda's MotoGP bike though? They are about to bukkake WSBK with it.

16. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I don't get it.

Wouldn't it be colder when you get out of work so then the grips become more useful?

17. Rumpelstiltskin

We already know that Cool is not an all weather type of rider. Perhaps he doesn't ride in the dark either.

Maybe if he got a bike with a LCD gauge it would do double duty as a night light [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  18. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Fam,

What is the motorcycle parking situation in your city?

In Toronto, motorcycle parking has traditionally been free where there's street parking spot (cars have to pay) but now they're introducing new parking payment systems and there's talk of forcing motorcycles to pay.

19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

In Chicago, you gotta pay where car's gotta pay. Traditionally this has meant putting the parking sticker on your headlight (instead of tossing the slip on your dashboard), but they are rolling out some smartphone based payment systems instead.

Still easier to park a bike though. In permit-only residential areas (the denser neighborhoods where they restrict side-street parking to residents), you don't need a permit...and downtown, you can find little pockets of free parking between signs/at the ends of the block/before driveways where a car would never fit but there is room for a couple of bikes.

20. Cool The Kid

Yea, but it would be dark too. I have a pretty nice HID projector setup on the bike that actually lights up the road really well, but it's not me or my bike I'm worried about.

We have a motorcycle lot at my job, and since daylight savings it's been pretty much empty despite the weather being perfect for riding. I am an unabashed fair weather rider.

1 person likes this.