1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

+1

My cargo net lives on the bike under the seat...comes in handy sometimes.

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Indeed, though gas mileage could be a potential killer.

To be fair though I hear the RSV4 only does about 25 MPG

O man I can only imagine the throttle response. I hope this thing makes it

4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Todays forecast is "dry, cold hands with an 80% chance of grinning stupidly."

The cruiser is back from winter storage. When I can get in a 500 mile weekend, I'll go pick up my STR. Happy spring.

5. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

What insure companies do you guys use? Come to the point where i've gotta shop around, looks like i'll be paying $1,300/year at the very least.

6. dohare

dohare Well-Known Member

i use progressive, they seem to be the cheapest. i have full comprehensive & collision with a $500 deductible for both. $3,000 of accessory coverage.

I pay $1,000 a year and i had one "at-fault" accident on my record that i dont even know what it is, but i never contested it because of the head ache, but the difference without he accident was $300/yr. pretty fucked up.

So i do $92 a month. not bad considering the bike is fully covered.

7. BostonHedonist

I moved to a "high risk" area and insurance on my brand new Street Triple is around $1600/year. For my old '03 Speedmaster it's less than $250.

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I pay very little for progressive on my kz400... 150-250 a year I think.

This isn't for very much coverage though...I am self-insuring against any damage/theft since the bike isn't particularly valuable--I imagine the difference in premiums plus a deductible over 3 years basically exceeds the value of the bike...so since I have made it 3 years, it is worth it to skip the coverage.

9. dohare

dohare Well-Known Member

im failing to see your logic, yes it sucks i pay $1000 a year, and after 4-5 years it will exceed hte used cost of my cb500f, but what if i total the bike and have no coverage? then im screwed because i cant get a claim?
    do you have anything to secure the triple? chain, alarm, etc?

10. BostonHedonist

They only ask if I have LoJack. I don't.

11. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

On my Buell, I have comprehensive $50k bodily harm/person $500 deductible. I pay <$200/year. I have Progressive through USAA, which when I ran it separate was about a $35 difference.

I have an at-fault accident in my car, but no tickets on any vehicle and no accidents on the bike.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Welcome to NYC. Are you under 25? I was paying about $600 a year for my 650 in NYC but I got it for my.... 28th bday? Best bet, keep the value of the bike in the bank and just get coverage for injuries, uninsured motorists and if you live in a shady neighborhood theft/damage.

Or just move down south... I have full coverage on my bike for about $200/yr.

13. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Well-Known Member

Are any of the SF crowd going to Thunderhill on April 2nd to ride with PTT?

14. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

I have Foremost Ins., full coverage with a $500 deductible. I pay $360 a year.

Heading out on a weekend camping/riding trip tomorrow morning. Note, only using two bungee cords.

[​IMG]

15. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Huh? Its pretty simple really.

I could probably sell the bike for 1250? I paid 1300 for it (listed at 1500) a few years ago...it has some more age on it now, but it also has new tires, rebuilt carbs, good maintenance, etc.

If it gets stolen or totaled (only if someone else isn't at fault), I'm not really screwed, I am just out less than $1500. If I had insurance, I'd be out a 500 deductible plus whatever premium I paid to have full coverage since 2011. I don't rely on it like some people depend on their car (and thus need repairs+rental covered) and it is a relatively small amount of money--I have bicycles that are worth more than that and they don't get a dedicated insurance policy.

It's just self insurance. I don't buy insurance for my phone ...I've never broken one so by now if I had to buy a new one tomorrow, I'd probably come out ahead of paying a monthly insurance fee.

1 person likes this.
  16. aether

aether Well-Known Member

with all this talk of tank bags and tail bags, you might want to omit the "style" part... :D

17. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

18. dohare

dohare Well-Known Member

full coverage on a duc for $360/yr , whatttt

19. BostonHedonist

Yo @Rumpelstiltskin , what's up with the lonely steak sandwich in your Pinterest?

20. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member