• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I received my helmet in the mail. I really love the helmet itself, but I think I'm suffering from a bad case of the mushroom head. It's about the slimmest I can get while still DOT approved, so I guess I only have my own awkwardly shaped head to blame. I have a long face and it makes it even harder to find a helmet that isn't too ridiculous looking.

Also, my sister called me a "lollipop" and a "pumpkin head", and told me that the helmet makes me somehow look like a yuppie. What do you guys think? I personally really like the helmet, but if you guys think I look ridiculous then feel free to call me out.

(Excuse my terrible beard that I'm trying to grow out)

Last edited:

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks fine also. Try wearing it a little lower on your forehead, it seems you are wearing it towards the back of your head more than it should be. Consider a snap on visor, it will help keep the sun out of your eyes.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the rear brake shoes need to be replaced (they were squeeling) so I took the rear wheel off the first time today.

Remarkably simple now that I have a center stand...the whole process seems easier than breaking down the wheel on a modern bicycle. A couple bolts and everything just drops down and falls open.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it looks fine also. Try wearing it a little lower on your forehead, it seems you are wearing it towards the back of your head more than it should be. Consider a snap on visor, it will help keep the sun out of your eyes.

Thanks, I'll see if I can somehow get it lower. I'm hoping that once the padding wears in a bit that it will sit a little lower too.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just spent the entire afternoon cleaning my bike, now that my performance mods are complete (air injection eviscerated, new exhaust "silencers," upgraded suspension, carb rejetting). Talk about your labors of love. Did my first thorough chain clean/lube. An entire bottle of chain cleaner and three shop rags later, my baby's nice and shiny again.

And now for some bike Appreciation.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

I like my Bell Vortex quite a bit (in solid silver). It is Snell and DOT and has a lot of pieces straight from their high-end Star model. It uses the same visors as the Star which means the visor it comes with is high quality and there are a ton of options available for reasonable rates (a lot of cheaper helmets seem to have limited visor selection). A steal for the $160 or whatever I paid for it.
If I was going to get a fancier helmet, I would probably just get the Bell Star (or maybe the RS-1)

I picked up a Bell Vortex for $99. It was in November, and I'm sure it was last year's pattern. I agree with you on the Vortex, although I haven't had to personally test its protective ability thankfully.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with that Shadow at all TS, ride it and enjoy it, it looks great!

+1 my motorcycle safety class was on a Shadow. It is a good beginner bike.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! She's my pride and joy. =D

Yeah Shadows are solid man. I was inches from buying a Shadow 750 when my Speedy popped up in the local Triumph dealership. With only 3k miles on a British '03 cruiser, and in black and yellow two-tone.... there was no looking back.

I do highly recommend Triumphs though. There's just something about those parallel twin engines. Great sound (with non-stock exhaust) and oh so symmetrical. It's interesting though; Harley guys seem to have at least some respect for Triumphs where they just turn their nose at anything from Japan. I always found that odd, because until very recently, Harleys were some of the most unreliable bikes on the road.

Still do love that Dyna Fat Bob though.

On a side note. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to get for a cheap sport bike just for taking to the track? I want to learn sport riding. Something reliable I could pick up for just a few grand...

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with that Shadow at all TS, ride it and enjoy it, it looks great!

Thanks for making me feel better about the bike. I do love it, even though the 750 makes me want some more power. Now I just need to replace those mirrors and take off the back seat and I'll be happy for awhile. I really do love that Triumph's color. I'm glad that she popped up before BH made his decision.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads