1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Ok folks, got the temp liscense in hand and am signed up for the MSF course. Let another money-pit hobby begin!

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

250 is definitely better for starting with on the track since you really learn how to carry speed through curves better. But on the highway, absolutely brutal buzzing to get to speed.

Why not an SV650? Good street bike, good track bike.

3. Pennglock

Almost twice the hp and tq as the 250s. Consensus Ive seen on forums is that power might be a handful for someone who's never sat on a bike.

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

What do you think is your personal style? What kind of riding do you envision yourself doing? How tall are you? That will help us find the perfect first (or second...or third...or fourth) bike for you

Kawasaki KLX250SF - great if you live mostly comute or live in/near an urban environment and can't see yourself taking long trips very often

[​IMG]

Honda Rebel 250 - these have been around forever and can be had for peanuts. They don't make much power though

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I learned on a 1203cc 93hp buell last summer. I would get an SV650 or a 500 and skip the 250 step altogether. But others think that's foolish.

6. akatsuki

I started out on a ratty VFR800 with a bent frame - didn't kill myself. Had a Ninja 250 for a while, but just found it too annoying to ride. Bought a Multistrada 1200 which i only sold when I left California (IMO there is no bike that even comes close to how perfect that bike is).

It all depends on what your personality is like. If you are 16-24 or so and like to speed a lot in a car and generally weave through traffic, then (1) don't get a bike because you are an asshole and (2) if you get a bike, get an underpowered 250 to get you by until you grow up. If you are the kind of person who is buying a 250 because you are very safety conscious and don't want to over-buy, then you can probably get an SV650 and just be responsible about it. Basically the people who should start on Ninja 250s are the ones least likely to do so.

I'd buy an SV650 and have someone chip it downward in power rather than flipping a 250 after a year or so if I was really concerned. I wouldn't buy a fully-faired bike because bike plastic is expensive.

1 person likes this.
  7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Well...I think our suggestions were based on the fact that he sold his track car and wanted to get in to motorcycles to replace that :) Something tells me a Rebel isn't what he is looking for.

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I think its true that you don't *need* to start out on a 250 (my bike is a 400...although I suspect a new ninja 250 is 10x faster than a 30-year-old 400). But Most people would agree that a something like a CBR600 or equivalent is not a great bike to learn on.

I think that what most people are saying is that if the end goal is track riding a super sport bike like that, then a ninja 250 is going to make you a better rider for that style of bike. and 250 to 600 is probably an easier and cheaper upgrade path than having an SV650 or CBR500, deciding it doesn't have quite enough power on the track, and then making a smaller scale upgrade to a much higher revving bike.

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  10. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I lol'ed.

By that logic, a 2-stroke is worth a look.

12. epb

epb Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been at a track day and said "You know what the new guy needs? More horsepower." More common is some poor rookie in a 911 or Corvette frustrated because people in Miatas are passing him. I don't think the cost to transition from a Ninja 250 or CBR250R to, say, a CBR600RR would be all that significant, and would definitely be worth it.

13. akatsuki

This is exactly right at the track, and maybe even more so for motorcycles.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. epb

epb Well-Known Member

I like their advice about practice. With cars, people get their permit as soon as possible, practice driving at every opportunity annoying their parents endlessly, then finally take the test as buy a beater that can barely get out of its own way.

With motorcycles in the US, people get their permit, take a safety course that usually gets them their license after about 12 hours of riding, and get a bike that will leave most cars in its dust (my 25 year-old Honda will do 0-60 in 3.8secs - and is considered slow). And off they go to hit the interstate and see what that baby will do. The idea of practicing skills in the real world and building up miles gradually is rarely mentioned - people count themselves successful good riders if they simply come home alive.

Speaking of which, also read "Sweat or Bleed."

15. Pennglock

That Rideapart blog is very well done. Are there others out there of similar quality?

16. Rumpelstiltskin

17. epb

epb Well-Known Member

I'm also curious about these - the information on sizing is amazingly vague, so I'm reluctant to order a pair without some input from actual owners.

18. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I want to take a poll. How many CCs were everyone's first bikes?

I started on an 800cc Triumph, which I probably wouldn't recommend due to a slower learning curve that comes with a larger machine. But I did my time in parking lots, took it very slow and was ultimately happy with not having to upgrade right away.

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

As a kid: 70

25 years later as an adult: 1000