1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about putting together a project targeting motorcycle riders.

Would you guys agree that the average income level of motorcycle riders in the U.S. is higher than non-motorcycle riders?

I'm finding some demographic info that supports this but you guys are a good sounding board.

2. j

j Well-Known Member

It would be really hard to say. In my experience, maybe slightly above average, but you also have to factor in all the squids who finance bikes because they are cheap and fast, and don't really have any money to speak of. Of people online though, I'd bet the motorcycle riders online have income a fair bit higher than the average person online.

3. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Would you guys agree that the average income level of motorcycle riders in the U.S. is higher than non-motorcycle riders?

I'm finding some demographic info that supports this but you guys are a good sounding board.

Have you ever checked on this type of information at the library? You can probably get exactly what you're looking for (i.e. income level of those with motorcycles).

4. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Have you ever checked on this type of information at the library? You can probably get exactly what you're looking for (i.e. income level of those with motorcycles).

Yes, I've looked into the demographics. I was just curious if my finding are confirmed by the firsthand experience of board members.

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

I came across this one in a customs warehouse this morning. According to the customs guy, the low dollar rate has made for some very nice imports from the US in the last year. The bike looked really pristine, except for a mirror and a brake handle, which seemed to have been broken off in transport. The photos don't do the (original?) gold metallic paint justice. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

ive noticed that you and I have very similar taste LS.

7. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I am not sure -- anecdotally, I only know one other guy who has a bike, and he's an orthodontist, so we are both RUBbies for sure.

8. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

It would be really hard to say. In my experience, maybe slightly above average, but you also have to factor in all the squids who finance bikes because they are cheap and fast, and don't really have any money to speak of. Of people online though, I'd bet the motorcycle riders online have income a fair bit higher than the average person online.

Were you the person thinking about designing jeans with concealed protection inside? It looks like someone beat you to the punch...

It was either in the latest edition of MCN or Motorcycle Cruiser (I'll try to find the pic and post it) where they had denim with concealed (removable?) padding.

9. j

j Well-Known Member

Yes, I was the person, or one of them. There have been a few attempts at this and I'd be happy to see someone do it like I wanted it. It would save me a lot of work. Took a trip with some friends this last weekend out to the Olympic peninsula and met a very young Ducati fan, his name is Isaiah and he lives in Neah Bay, which is on the Makah reservation, the farthest West point of the lower 48: [​IMG]

10. kawasaki

kawasaki Member

This is a pic of me on my ZX6R at my first trackday. The track was wet in some places but I had a blast!
    [​IMG]

11. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

^ That's a cool pic.[​IMG]

12. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Well-Known Member

sweet, good to see another track day/racer. I just sold my Aprilia - my old race bike, cause I didn't like racing the vtwin class, back to 600 meat grinder class, got me an 05 gixxer 600, full ohlins and fitted to my weight. I can not wait to start racing next season. [​IMG]

13. jase12

jase12 Well-Known Member

triumph bonneville t100....awesome

14. GiorgioHilfiger

GiorgioHilfiger Well-Known Member

Heres a harley I built, rode and sold..
    [​IMG]

15. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

nice. you build the plane too? [​IMG]

16. speedster.8

speedster.8 Well-Known Member

17. jase12

jase12 Well-Known Member

I love the look of the Triumph Bonneville...

[​IMG]

If I could just convince my wife to let me get a bike [​IMG]

just bought this bike in black. black tank and fenders as well as black powdercoated engine block. best bike i have ever ridden!

18. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Welp, I had my first accident last night. I was riding down the road and just entering an intersection when a car made a left turn right in front of my bike. I didn't even have time to react. As I hit the front passenger corner of the car, I did a Superman with a flip (2 flips?) and landed on my back / right side about 20'-30' down the road. The wierdest feeling was as I was flying through the air, I couldn't tell which way "up" was and I was wondering both where I was at and when I was going to hit the ground (if I was going to hit the ground) and whether or not my bike was going to land on top of me. So, I landed (with a slight bounce... [​IMG] ) and upon making a finger and toe check I realized that I could move everything. I kind of sat up and some people (for some reason) wanted to lift me up. I told them to stop and let me just sit there for a second. Then some asshole drove right through where the accident just happened! I'm glad I had pulled my legs up or they would have run them over! Asshole. I got some help up and walked to the median and sat down. By then, the cops and ambulance showed up and whisked me off to the hospital I spent the next 8 hours in a fucking neck brace (as a precaution) laying in the hospital (stiffining up) while I waited for the results of catscans and x-rays. Luckily, I only have a fracture on a small bone in my back. The doc says that it's insignificant, they don't do anything about it, and the pain will go away in a couple days. A couple of bumps and bruises on top of that. The worst was trying to get up after laying there for so many hours. I was stiff as a board and it took about 20 minutes to even kind of get moving. They wheeled me out to my friends car who stopped to hang out and take me home. The scrapes on my leathers are almost non existent (I didn't slide any where, I just kinda landed) but I have a couple inch wide scrape and cut on the back of my full face helmet. I should be getting a new helmet through insurance. I figured out where my bike was today and called the insurance. I guess we'll see what happens next. Apparently they cited the driver with making a left turn when I had the right of way. I think the full gear helped. Not sure what would've happened without my helmet and leathers... ATGATT!!!! The news article is kinda funny... I think it was more than 20' [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Article... I'm kinda curious what it looked like from the driver's point of view as I sailed over his hood and his windshield? THAT must have looked pretty wild!

19. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Well-Known Member

Glad you're ok! ATGATT all they way.

20. JonB27

JonB27 Well-Known Member

Wow glad you are in one piece... I know the feeling of being disoriented when it happens very surreal few seconds... Luckily you got help off the road, when mine occured not one person got out of their car as I lay in the middle of a busy intersection during rush hour.. I picked myself up walked over to my bike picked it up and pushed it over to a gas station... I was amazed by the lack of help and concern.