1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

right!

[​IMG]

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Quote:
    Not sure if you realize this but the ninja 250 has held its value the best of all motorcycles out there year after year after. People buy them, ride them and then sell them for damn near what they bought them for.

That lil inline twin is bulletproof. Kawasaki sold the bike unchanged for about 20 years and it has consistently been its best seller. New riders as well as seasoned riders, tracknuts, women, commuters (80 mpg) you name the demographic loved it. Honda used to have the 250 Interceptor in the 80s but then dropped it from their product line leaving he lil Kawi in a league of its own (Honda brought in the cbr250 about 2 years ago or so but it is a thumper and really was no competition). Then Kaw decided to up the ante and restyle the ninja to look like the big boys. Increased output to a towering 35hp and added a slipper clutch and anti-lock brakes. Slipper clutch and optional abs on a 300cc bike? WTF? Did I mention it has a pretty upright seating position? And you don't have to worry about adjusting valves on the road which is theeee dumbest selling point I have ever heard

[​IMG]

Compare that to bike with unknown build quality, reliability or parts. A bike that makes 12 hp. 12 hp!!! Y[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]ou couldn't get a speeding ticket on this thing if you tried. 12 hp is not highway legal (or safe). 12 hp is moped territory. No one in their right mind would pay $2000 for one of these used. [/FONT]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I learned on a Buell Blast. I currently have a Lightning XB9SX, which I love, but I don't know if they are for beginners. I agree the torque is nice, and it is pretty easy to do maintenance on (I love the belt drive).

That being said there are two downsides. First, fewer and fewer locations will touch them for maintenance. Second, the torque is a double-edged sword. You give it a bit too much gas before letting off the clutch, and you'll quickly be on one wheel.

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Sorry to hear but glad you are ok. Ride like they are trying to kill you because some of them are!

5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Maybe we will get the Naked Ninja 300 here....that would be nice.

I like the way the er250c looks, and there are rumors it might show up in america with the 300:
    [​IMG]

Always thought having full fairings on a little Ninja 250 seemed silly. They simply don't go that fast...and the odds of them being dropped are quite high.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

I would have killed for a fairing today. Windy as hell in NYC, especially over water crossings

Naked 300 is good money.

As far as the beginner bike talk, I think Britain has it right. Doesnt make much sense to learn how to ride on something with more than ~50HP at the crank. That knocks out the two 650 twins and all the other goofy suggestions people are throwing out (100HP Buells???). An old Ninja 250/500 is pretty much perfect. You have all the time in the world to look cool on a beastly new bike... after you learn to ride. Theres nothing goofier/more pathetic than someone clearly outmatched by their bike in ability. Dudes who start on shit like R1s, get spooked cause they never learned the basics and got caught out by a 9 second beast, and then write off riding because "its too dangerous". Get the 250 for ~6 months, put a couple thousand miles on it, move up. It literally wont kill you, if anything it will save your life.

7. Rumpelstiltskin

fixed

Everythign else is spot on. Start off too big and you never learn how to really work the gearbox and keep the bike ikn teh powerband. Those riders are usually pisspoor in the twisties as well

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

The Buell I learned on, is only 34hp.

9. Cool The Kid

The Blast is not a choice I would recommend... for other reasons

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I reco'ed this so I will defend it.

Firstly, I learned on this bike and had absolutely no issues endangering myself due to the power delivery because:

1. The powerband is extremely linear and predictable. I have the M2, which has Sportster cams and is tuned for mid-range torque. It revs like a lug, unlike a japanese 4cylinder, so it's hard to rev too high when easing out the clutch from stops.
    2. I can go wide-open in 2nd and it won't lift the front. The bike is only as powerful as your wrist allows, and you can't even get in trouble cruising in gear and mashing throttle. Trust me, if you putz around at 3k, it's pretty damn hard to do anything silly with one, compared to the ultra-quick throttle response and peaky powerband of a 4cylinder sport bike.

For reference, a 65hp Ninja 650R will put up a quicker 1/4 mile than a 93hp Buell M2.

If a Buell isn't your cup of tea compared to a 250 Ninja, I can completely get that. The points about residual are very valid, and parts availability and reliability I imagine are quite superior to a Buell. Plus, there's subjective aspects.

But to suggest recommending a Buell to a beginner is irresponsible doesn't really make sense from my perspective. You'd have to be pretty careless and extremely throttle happy to make a big mistake on one IMO.

11. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

My Triumph has about 70hp and that's been great to learn on. If you're a total hothead, maybe it's best to limit your hp big time with your first bike. But a sane person with good reflexes can do the speed limit with any reasonable engine.

Having a bike I had to grow into made me think way more responsibly because of the danger factor. Also made me work out more. But, like anything else, with
    time it becomes second nature.

That Misfit looks like a regret factory waiting for rust. Actually, I think I saw one the other day - covered in ivy, acting as a sign for a local bike shop on an interstate offramp.

12. Cool The Kid

The whole "nothing will happen if you are responsible" thing is goofy. Its like saying "a Mustang GT is fine to learn on. You just have to respect it". I mean its possible, its doable, but its way better to put that new driver behind the wheel of a Corolla. My 650 is considered "slow" on the net, but on the street its a fucking rocket. I still have to be very delicate w/the throttle.

A Triumph is heavy. Not good for low speed stuff. 100HP Buell is just too much of an opportunity to target fixate. You need time to acclimate to the speed of something beyond a 500. Its possible to learn on something faster, but why when there are significantly better choices?

13. Matto ELITE

Matto ELITE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My 2013 Victory Boardwalk

14. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Awesome Victory. Made in USA!

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Ooh. Now there's a naughty bit o' crumpet!

16. Rumpelstiltskin

[​IMG]

I took the MSF safety course waaaaaay back in 1990. It was a week long and I was on a Rebel 250. When the week started that little bike felt strong and powerful but I had a Honda Shadow 500 given to me by an uncle sitting at home (without a key) waiting for me to pass the road test. I got comfortable on the 250 very quickly but that 47.5 hp Shadow seemed powerful for a long time yet it was forgiving. I don't know how many times I accidentally rolled on the throttle (a common new rider mistake) yet the Shadow forgave me for my transgression. More powerful bikes won't and new riders are usually flailing about in vain as the bike either takes off at a high rate of speed, usually into a wall or a parked car or just wheelies and unceremoniously dumps the rider on the ground as it continues to make a more expensive insurance claim.

If you have had no or extremely limited experience on a motorcycle but want to become a good rider, I wouldn't recommend any bike larger than a 500. Start small and work your way up. There is a big difference between a 500 "ninja" and a 650 ninja, something more than just 150 cc of displacement. And of course the 600...err 636 ninja is huge leap beyond both of these bikes.

17. Rumpelstiltskin

[​IMG]

KTM Superduke 1290 concept bike. I'm liking this shit a lot

And ofr those of yo who focus on the word concept, recall the RC8 concept bike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vs the production model. Looks are almost dead on but instead of a 990 cc engine it has an 1190 cc one.

18. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I need one of these in my life...DOT-approved...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. John Doe

John Doe Well-Known Member

That looks like the classic '70's Bell Star helmet.

20. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member