1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Most you ever spent on a pair of sneakers ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Like them too, but prefer plaintoes to captoes (actually, I hate cap toes, but that is for another day) - actually prefer round toes with a distinct instep (shoe guys, help me out) for a rougher look. Keep a pair of Pradas and Costumes around for evenings where sneakers are verboten or impractical (doing the tango in sneakers is asking God to twist your ankle.) Still prefer sneakers though, especially for the daytime. More comfortable, and more laid back. Maybe all those years in LA changed me irrevocably. But maybe not. I wore lots of sneakers before that too.

3. linux_pro

linux_pro Well-Known Member

I've always thought jeans with blazer looked awful, with a few exceptions. I mean, is it professional, or casual? Add sneakers, and it is just intolerable (add a baseball cap, and it makes me want to commit homicide). Too casual to be appropriate for business, and too dressed up to really look very casual. The only thing worse is some rube in a pair of chinos and polo shirt with a trimmed beard. Hello, fax machine repairman. Would you like a Big Mac?

4. LA Guy

Personally think that this combination works best with a western style blazer. Sneakers work in this context. Add boots, and it gets way too costumey.

5. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

May be 120 euros when I was a teenager or a few years ago for a paire of Puma (110 euros)

I remeber a pair of New Balance, James Worthy which were at 660FrF (100 euros)

6. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Well-Known Member

I spent $150.00 on a pair of Air Jordan XIII Retros, but I'm a bit of a sneakerhead, so IMO volume counts as much as quantity. Â [​IMG]

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

$75 for my Nike running shoes that are replaced every 12-months. I tried to go cheaper 2-years ago... $50 failed experiment.

Do Tod's trainers count as sneakers? I have 2 pairs of those... I didn't pay retail, but geez they are expensive considering how fast the little nubbies wear out. Next time, i'm buying Pirellis for my casual shoes, and Michelin's for my tires.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Prada Americas Cup, full price

9. benchan

benchan Well-Known Member

$250 on a Nike Foamposite One(Penny) around 97, I think the market price was around 400 soon after it was sold out. [​IMG]

10. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Prada car shoes, in khaki and cream, full retail ($350) to go with my black suit.

11. Crockett

Crockett Well-Known Member

I am considering buying a pair of these at a discount price. What is your opinion on them?

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

(zjpj83 @ Feb. 18 2005,21:09) Prada Americas Cup, full price
    I am considering buying a pair of these at a discount price. Â What is your opinion on them?
    Nice shoes if you like the design but since they come back every year in one for or another bid your time if you think you can get a better deal at a later date. BTW they really are water resistant which is a nice plus for a sneaker.

13. LA Guy

I hate Prada Sport shoes - they look good only with other Prada Sport clothes, the entire line of which is best described as incredibly overpriced Patagonia - but available only in navy and black, and without the performance and durability. If you absoluately must go with *designer* sneakers, Mihara Pumas are legit (the guy actually knows and cares about sneakers), and Y-3, Dolce & Gabbana if you absolutely must.

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I have never spent over $100 on sneakers and I probably never will.

15. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Hmmm actual sneakers/athletic shoes? After hearing positively sparkling reviews by Grayson and Alex (Oh shit - they agreed on something.) I bought some New balance cross trainers last month when my feet were sore from that sadistic Cybex elliptical torture device. I think they were 80 or so. Completely fixed the sore feet.

Sneaker like? I have these Prada things that look like a slip on in nice black (oh noooo) leather but have a wide rubber sole. They are my 'cheat' shoes... when I want to dress decently but will be on my feet walking alll day long - love them. Think retail was 300 or so but I got them for around 20 bucks - part of a closeout lot I bought to 'Rebay"

16. esspee1200

esspee1200 Well-Known Member

$250 for a pair of nike dunk DUNKLES at FTC SF. wow!!

17. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Asics between 100 and 150 bucks. They are the most comfortable shoe I've owned when I'm stuck working on concrete all friggin day.

18. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Bought a pair of Purcells a couple of months back and a pair of NB running shoes yesterday, both no more than $70. Thats probably my limit.

BTW, having gone around malls and inside Nike stores, I find it peculiar that tourists flock to Nike stores. I mean, isn't Nike stores available around the world? Are the prices different? Or are there models that are hard to find?

19. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I have never spent over $100 on sneakers and I probably never will.
    [​IMG]

Funny how things have changed...

20. Harry Lean

Harry Lean Well-Known Member

l bought some Reebok sneakers in the late 80's for around $300. l still have them.