1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Most pretentious coffee/espresso drink ever

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by contactme_11, Dec 30, 2007.

1. shellshock

shellshock Well-Known Member

i once got it with the guy accidentally gave me the latte with non fat milk and it just tasted thin and crappy.

whole milk ftw. also like you, i never understood the people that go '"study" at starbucks. i cant even concentrate on a conversation inside one of those places...

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

whole milk ftw. also like you, i never understood the people that go '"study" at starbucks. i cant even concentrate on a conversation inside one of those places...
    I never saw the appeal of studying there either until recently. I have a small 14"x14" desk with stacks of paper inside a filthy 12'x9' apartment with a cat who won't shut up and I can't let him out cuz he'll run away. So yeah, coffee shops are quite nice in comparison, the only thing is that you have to pay for internet at Starbucks, which means I need to find an independent coffee house that gives free internet. I actually like the background noise when programming on my computer. I heard the other day some chicks both ordered the same thing, it was about 5 or 6 words long and it had the word "soy", that was all I could make out.

3. totally epic

totally epic Well-Known Member

Double espresso macchiato extra dry.

4. onion

onion Well-Known Member

How come practically every picture I've seen of the Asian girls they are doing the victory sign?

A friend of mine is in the Air Force and was stationed in Japan. He took hundreds of pictures with locals and I swear every single one of them had them doing the 'peace sign' with their hands. He said him and a couple of friends had a contest one night of who could get the most pictures of Japanese people doing the peace sign in photos. They all had 100+ in a single night.

5. mano

mano Well-Known Member

Gimme a double-double a sidafries anna choklitshake.

No pretension. That's what a real man orders. [​IMG]

6. Philosoph

Philosoph Well-Known Member

i never understood the people that go '"study" at starbucks. i cant even concentrate on a conversation inside one of those places...
    There was a time in my life when I'd go "study" at Starbucks because I was desperate for some social interaction. It's not easy to actually get any work done. It certainly didn't make working on linear algebra matrix operations any easier.

7. underwearer

underwearer Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is in the Air Force and was stationed in Japan. He took hundreds of pictures with locals and I swear every single one of them had them doing the 'peace sign' with their hands. He said him and a couple of friends had a contest one night of who could get the most pictures of Japanese people doing the peace sign in photos. They all had 100+ in a single night.

I think the Japanese 'peace' sign stands for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

8. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Well-Known Member

I used to work for Starbucks in high school and college. As for most pretentious drink, I'd argue it's the Americano. Why? Because the only people who like it tend be be relatively knowledgable about coffee (at least relative to those getting mochas, frappuccinos, etc) and to those who don't know what it is (espresso + hot water) it sounds idiotic. Whenever somebody asks me what it is, they always look confused, and then quietly stupid for not getting it.

99% of the time I get Starbucks it's going to be an Americano, and I don't even consider myself to be particularly knowledgable about coffee. I like espressos, and I'll drink my coffee strong and black (on rare occasions I'll add a single sugar,) so Americanos seemed to be a natural choice for me.

Plus they're named after the bestest country ever. [​IMG]

9. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

Chantico - a 6-ounce cup had 390 calories, 21 grams of fat and 51 carbs. link

Oh sweet chocolatey Jesus. I use to put two shots of espresso in one of those and drink it on my break - I'd be bouncing for the rest of the day! It was the best drink ever. Couple weeks after they discontinued it I found10 pounds of the mix in the basement and took them home...so sad when they finally ran out [​IMG]
    My name is Raven, and I'm an elitist asshole.

Just FYI, that comic's about mac-users, AKA 90% of Starbucks' demo.

With headphones and a comfy chair, you can cocoon yourself without being depressed, alone in your room.

10. itskub

itskub Well-Known Member

If an Americano is a shot plus water, couldnt you just pull a shot for an extended length? wouldnt that basically be the same ?

11. robin

robin Well-Known Member

If an Americano is a shot plus water, couldnt you just pull a shot for an extended length? wouldnt that basically be the same ?
    You could, but it'd be really gross.

12. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

You could, but it'd be really gross.

It'd just be a regular espresso.

13. robin

robin Well-Known Member

It'd just be a regular espresso.
    If by regular espresso, you mean espresso that tastes like swill, then yes.

14. totally epic

totally epic Well-Known Member

The two terms you guys are looking for are ristretto and lungo. And I'm not even a coffee snob.

15. contactme_11

contactme_11 Well-Known Member

Funny... I was just thinking about this thread yesterday.

16. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Every time I think about coffer I'm reminded of this. "Milk and coffee, who would have thought?" [​IMG]

17. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Well-Known Member

We used to have one customer would would have us pull a shot with the same grounds twice in a row. The second shot comes out significantly less dark than the first. If an Americano is 12 oz, that's ~3oz of espresso and 9oz of water. I can't imagine pulling 12 oz of water through the same shot to achieve the same thing... in a similar fashion, a latte isn't the same as pulling a bunch of milk through the machine (which would break it, anyway).

18. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

The two terms you guys are looking for are ristretto and lungo. And I'm not even a coffee snob.

[​IMG]
    An espesso shot is supposed to take between 20 to 30 seconds and produce about 1 to 1.5 ounces on liquid. A double shot takes the same amount of time but uses twice the amount of ground coffee and produces twice the amount of liquid.

A ristretto shot is either stopped sooner (15-20 seconds) or setup using a finer grind and/or harder tamp. In either case, less liquid (.5 to .75 ounces) ia produced. The idea behind ristretto is to get just the best part of the shot - the "heart of coffee". A great ristretto shot will consist of mostly coffee oils and will have an etheral, weightless mouthfeel.

A lungo shot is setup as normal but extraction is not stopped until 35 seconds or more which allows additional coffee flavor components to dissolve, which often taste bitter or burned. A single lungo should not contain more than 2 ounces of liquid.

Any espresso beverage producing more than 2 ounces of liquid from a single dose of ground coffee (7 grams or so) will either taste very watery, bitter, burned, ash-like or all of the above.

Anyone still awake? [​IMG]