• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most cotton clothing is GENETICALLY MODIFIED... ****The Official List of GM-Free Cotton Clothing****

4characters

Reaction score
I don't know much about GM cotton, but I'm a big fan of hemp. I have shorts made of it from Patagonia and t-shirts from Onno (slubby) and Emperor Threads (silky soft). Would love some jeans and a summer sport coat made of hemp.
These look like great sites, thank you for posting them. I'll add them to the list.
Also hear is ware you can get a hemp sport coat:http://www.rawganique.com/Dept-Mens/organic-hemp-dress-jackets.htm and hemp jeans: http://www.rawganique.com/Dept-Mens/rg108-slim-straight-hemp-jeans.htm

GreatHighway

Reaction score
some of this thread is helpful, some is not. for instance I didn't click on it to read about white's boots or straight razors. overall I think this is an interesting topic. stick to the topic. maybe find out which companies do use GM cotton and find their reasons for doing so; I know things exist, tell me why they exist. also, please do better with your spelling. I originally thought this was spam because of it. just wanted to give feedback.

Last edited:

4characters

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Honestly allmost all Upland cotton is GM at this point, the reasons for this are highly political and not appropriate for this thread. I included White's boots, Dr. Bronners soaps, and other sustainable things because I like to show what is good and what we can be happy about and not just consentrade on what is GM. Though It seems useless to me to continue posting anything not related to GM clothing now...

For convenience: The GM-free clothing list is the first post and should include prettymuch all usefull GM-free cothing links.
Thank you, your feedback helps.

imhotep

Reaction score
Is it really accurate to say GM is bad? It seems that the actual message is that using harsh chemicals/pesticides, large corporations mistreating farmers/workers etc is bad. GM crops have the potential to do a lot of good and aren't necessarily the devil because they are being utilized by corporations in an unethical way.

4characters

Reaction score
Arguably all value judgments are inaccurate, or at least inconsistent...
My advice is to look it up and follow the money trail...
There is money in misinformation.

imhotep

Reaction score

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Arguably all value judgments are inaccurate, or at least inconsistent...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000][SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]My advice is to look it up and follow the money trail...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000][SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]There is money in misinformation.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

You just typed a lot of words without actually saying anything. It is easy for someone who buys $300 organic cotton jeans to say this is bad and that is bad while immersed in a self-righteous quest, without looking at the big picture. The reality is that GMO crops are not the devil as you portray them. For example, GMO technology presents a viable way to help combat global nutrient deficiencies. Take the golden rice project for example. Have you ever considered these types of issues?

4characters

Reaction score
yes

also who buys $300 organic jeans?
I wouldn’t mind having $300 Organic jeans, but I actually spent less than $100 on my organic jeans...
Don't lie...

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of people on here buy jeans that go for double or triple that price (Dior Homme/SLP/Balenciaga/Balmain/etc).

This is becoming much like the ever popular "fish farms are bad!" arguments.

Last edited:

4characters

Reaction score
I can't find ware I said ALL GMOs are bad(or "the Devil")..... Seems like a big strawman crusade in the case of imhotemp. Anyway, I am trying to use positives hear, not negatives...

Last edited:

4characters

Reaction score
Here are a couple of other things to think about since we are on the issue of GM rice...

"A scientist from the biotech company Syngenta said: "All the genes are present in rice. One could make a non-GM vitamin-A rice simply by studying those genes in a more focused way."(organicconsumers.org)"

"If Golden Rice really was a panacea, the greatest humanitarian wonder ever to combat vitamin A deficiencies among the world’s poor and malnourished, then why is it patented(foodrenegade.com)?"

Last edited:

imhotep

Reaction score
You are basically a religious fundamentalist. Except your religion is anti-GMO.

You are not interested in unbiased critique. You will search the fringes of the internet to find statements that you want to hear and will feel good because they have said what it is that you were looking for. Tell me, did you really go Google searching for the golden rice information with the mind of learning about both the pros and cons? Or were you searching for anti-GMO statements made in an echo chamber that you could cherry pick?

You are the same as the parents who refuse to vaccinate their children. The same as the people suggesting the Boston bombings were an inside job. The same as the people who believe AIDS is not caused by HIV, but caused by the AIDS drugs.

The GMO debate is your opportunity for you to show that you know something that the mainstream does not. Evidence be damned.

4characters

Reaction score
Strawman/Ad Hominem...... Anything else?

4characters

Reaction score
Unbiased critique is essential to understanding perspectives and issues.

“You are basically a religious fundamentalist. Except your religion is anti-GMO.” ------Strawman/Poisoning the Well

“You are not interested in unbiased critique.” ----Hasty Generalization/Ad Hominem

“ You will search the fringes of the internet to find statements that you want to hear and will feel good because they have said what it is that you were looking for.“ ----Hasty Generalization/Ad Hominem

“Tell me, did you really go Google searching for the golden rice information with the mind of learning about both the pros and cons? Or were you searching for anti-GMO statements made in an echo chamber that you could cherry pick?” -----Oversimplification/Loaded Question

“You are the same as the parents who refuse to vaccinate their children.” -----False Analogy

“The same as the people suggesting the Boston bombings were an inside job.” -----False Analogy
“The same as the people who believe AIDS is not caused by HIV, but caused by the AIDS drugs.” -----False Analogy

“The GMO debate is your opportunity for you to show that you know something that the mainstream does not. Evidence be damned.” -----Non-Sequitur

I really enjoy unbiased critique.

Last edited:

4characters

Reaction score
Diversity is the spice of life. Diversity offers resilience.

"Biodiversity in cotton is an important indicator of sustainability due to many factors, not least geographical suitability and climate change. There are about 500 known varieties of cotton which have evolved to suit geographical conditions etc; and include many intriguing characteristics and traits such as ‘colored’ cotton, extremely long and fine stapled cotton, and native indigenous or ‘wild’ cotton(Farmhub.org)."

Diversity is exciting and fun!
For resources: See post #1.

Soon I will go shopping for cotton to beat the world record for heaviest hand-spun hand-woven jeans in the world. I am thinking about using green color grown cotton for the weft and Pima cotton that I will dye with natural indigo for the warp.

Color grown cotton: super soft colorful cotton
Pima cotton: durable long fiber cotton that takes dyes really well and lasts up to 40% longer than Upland cotton

Front: Warp
Back: Weft

Picture from:
http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Selvege/Selvedge_WarpWeft.jpg

Color grown cotton, this is before it develops its dark colors:

Pictures from: http://www.vreseis.com/sliver.html

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads