1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Most cotton clothing is GENETICALLY MODIFIED... ****The Official List of GM-Free Cotton Clothing****

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by 4characters, Jun 3, 2013.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Here's an excellent article published in Scientific American this year. Written by Dr. Nina Federoff, a Penn State professor and one of the leading plant sciences authorities in the US.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-we-trust-monsanto-with-our-food

2 people like this.
  3. 4characters

4characters Well-Known Member

4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

This should be required viewing for the OP

Michael Specter: The Danger of Science Denial

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_specter_the_danger_of_science_denial.html

5. 4characters

Do you happen to know what it was modified with? I'm very interested.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

If you believe plant biotechnology is inherently dangerous, you should really read this article from Oxford Journals:

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/71/1/2.full

7. 4characters

We all love science hear, but no one likes a liar…
    You really had our interest until you started to stray away from the facts and science of the whole matter…
    What you are talking about is called breeding and has been done forever and is a totally different topic.

BTW: nobody said "inherently dangerous"

8. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

4Characters I'd like to see you respond to the bold faced parts of the articles I quoted. Hoping you can step out of your comfort zone. :D

9. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

[quote name="4characters'']
    What you are talking about is called breeding and has been done forever and is a totally different topic.
    BTW: nobody said "
    inherently dangerous"
    [/quote] Umm, yes you are implying that recombinant DNA technology/introducing exogenous DNA into a plant genome is inherently dangerous. That's the premise of your thread. If I have it correctly, your argument can be distilled to: "All GMOs are bad - let's avoid them. Don't buy GMO foods or GMO cotton clothes because they're dangerous to your health" If you'd like to clarify your argument, please go ahead

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. 4characters

I’d prefer to stick to the facts and science rather than editorializing the issue with assorted value judgments and propaganda…
    Your logic is flawed; you are jumping to conclusions and over generalizing this thread…

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

You're not saying anything of substance here. And I offered you a chance to clarify your argument. I would not want to overgeneralize what you're saying. Do you think all GMOs should be avoided? If not, can you cite some peer reviewed studies on the safety of particular strains of GM cotton? You make a lot of baseless accusations about how GM cotton can cause allergic reactions to skin and kill grazing cows, etc. The only evidence you've offered is a dubious "medical examiners report" that conveniently isn't available in the hyperlink, and pictures of dead bodies that could have been taken from anywhere on the internet. How about GM foods? Should I be worried about eating edamame made from Monsanto's Ready Roundup soybeans?

12. hoodyear

hoodyear Well-Known Member

4characters, are you currently seeking psychiatric help? Because you're exhibiting textbook psychotic denial. That and the manner in general with which you engage this forum leads me to believe that whatever's going on with you is pathological.

I'm not being rhetorical; I'm concerned.

1 person likes this.
  13. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

#carwreck

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  14. barrangadang

barrangadang Well-Known Member

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

+1

OP, you need to shed your ignorance and start listening to people here. Styleforum has intelligent readers that see past the bogus evidence you cite.

I'm saying all of this as an environmentalist/conservationist. But there's just no scientific basis for GMO fearmongering.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  16. 4characters

Follow your bliss and do what you enjoy, whatever that would be. I'm not your mother... (or father)[​IMG]

GMO is one of the most vast and revolutionary technologies of all time, it’s not necessarily a bifurcated all or none issue. Study the facts and science for yourself and I trust you will come to the conclusion that best suites you.

17. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see you're scaling back your initial statements that recombinant biotechnology is inherently dangerous and that all GMOs are bad. That is at least a start.

However, your post is mostly devoid of substance.

Don't tell me about "studying the facts and science for myself." You are the one that has demonstrated a misunderstanding of the scientific method. You see, under the scientific method, you need to cite peer-reviewed studies about the toxicity of GM cotton before you raise alarms about GM cotton. You have failed to do that. That's the true way that science works. I don't want to see pictures of "cattle killed by GM cotton" or pictures of "farmers killed by cotton." I don't want to see a footnote for an Indian "medical examiner's report." I want to see a study published in a respected journal like the New England Journal of Medicine or Nature or Science, or anything published on PubMed.

Until then, it's imprudent and quite frankly dangerous to our society be making these accusations and spreading misinformation.

Kindly, put up or shut up clogging the board with your diatribe about GM cotton.

1 person likes this.
  18. 4characters

lol, no sutch statments ever made...

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Don’t lie.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Actually, you did make this statement, implying that all GMOs are bad

20. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

4Characters, would it be too much to ask for a couple peer reviewed studies of GM cotton toxicity? You keep making references to "science" and how it's on your side.

Maybe I just don't know where to look.

Can you please post some? If you don't post some links, and continue with your circular logic and bizarre rhetoric about how science is your on your side, I will remain unconvinced, as I think most others here will too