1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Morbidly Obese in the Public Eye, Is It Possible to Look Professional?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Lear

Lear Well-Known Member

Are you 'avin a bubble?

2. HughJ

HughJ Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. You are correct that it is not always so simple, but what/how much you eat is by a large margin THE greatest factor in losing or maintaining your weight. You exercise now - how long does it take to burn off, say, 150 calories (or roughly 2 cookies)? This fellow is making POOR decisions with his health.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

What, but not really how much. See studies on starvation diets - people put on starvation diets don't lose near as much weight as you might expect, and gain it all back pretty much immediately after the diet ends.

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

That is because starving oneself really messes with your body. I can only imagine the amount of food Christie is eating to maintain that level of obesity. If he went on a reputable, medically-supervised diet he would probably lose 100 pounds in under a year.

5. unbelragazzo

probably from the level he's starting at, but for less extreme levels of obesity, you can eat less and not lose any weight if you keep your carb intake way up, etc....but this is probably a discussion for a different forum

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

sorry, you don't know what you are talking about.

I would say that I was probably more obese than Christie is. It took me 4 years to lose 110 pounds, although I did lose about 50 in the first year.

there are a couple of things that you guys aren't thinking about that this guy is a working man, a politician and a leader (as well as a family man, I think) -

1. when you are working really hard, and invovled in a lot of early morning and late night meetings, its a bitch to excersize. I know that everyone always thinks "oh, I'm a full time student and work 6 hours a week on top of that, and I have time to excersize, how much harder can he work" well, some people put everything into their job, and don't see the possiblity to cut back on those hours

2. I am guessing he has business meals a couple of hundred times a year - breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and he isn't in a position to control his food very well, or skip the meals. that is very very hard to work around. now, if you really like food, and you react to stress by eating, and you are sitting at a table full of donuts while working, you either put all your energy into not having a donut, or you put your energy into work, and have a couple of donuts. that is the way it works.

3. when you get to be that size, its hard to start excersizing - I am guessing that if he started to jog tomorrow, he would get inflamations in his ankles and knees and would be off his feet for a week. and, as a politician, its not that easy to show up at the Y and walk in the pool like an old lady, it makes you look bad.

anyway , I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying that most of us don't understand the situation he's in.

7. MrDaniels

It really is never a good idea to make a blanket statement like "you don't know what you are talking about."

My friend Brad was Christie's size and lost 100+ pounds in less than a year on a reasonable diet, combined with exercise. And I am certain that his results are not atypical.

Bill Clinton was a food addict as well, was also a governor and also ran for president. He never got anywhere close to that point.

8. unbelragazzo

there are some recent studies to this effect, that willpower is like a muscle that gets tired.

9. BowtieBandit

BowtieBandit Member

Man, I love wings.

10. globetrotter

1. how old was your friend?
    2. what was his job?

I find it very hard to believe, frankly.

11. globetrotter

I find this is my hardest problem - I sit in on at the very least, 100 business dinners a year. all of them at good resteraunts. and I have to focus and work.

what I do is fill myself up with a fiber and protien shake beforehand, so I am not hungry, but it took me a while to figure that trick out.

12. unbelragazzo

avoid bread. eat meat and vegetables. not too much dessert. should be fine.

13. globetrotter

thanks, really, this is an idiot answer.

seriously, this is like a bunch of midgets talking about basketball.

seriously, almost everybody here consideres the way they look to be about the most important thing in the world, so its almost impossible for anybody to understand the position of someobody like cristie - then, you add to it the fact that most people here are under 25, and that a lot of you are working in zero stress retail jobs, and its like you are talking about what life on a different planet is like.

I don't mean that as an insult, but I'll say the same thing I said before, I don't think that most of you grasp the situation.

14. unbelragazzo

umm...ok. i don't consider it an idiot answer and i don't understand why you would. i do not work in a zero stress retail job. i've never been obese, but various times i have been significantly heavier than i would like to be and have done research to figure out how to counteract that. after reading such research, the above is a condensed version of what i've learned (and is not obvious, if that's the reason why you think it's an "idiot answer"...many supposedly reputable sources of information on nutrition will tell you not to eat meat and to eat a lot of whole grains).

Also, you can't really call something an "idiot answer" and then claim later that it's not an insult.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  15. MrDaniels

Late 20s.

And do you know what his job is?

PASTRY CHEF!!!! No fucking kidding.

Hard to believe? 100 pounds in a year is losing 2 pounds a week (The Mayo Clinic diet is very nutritionally and medically sound and it states that one will loose 1-2 pounds a week). There are people on The Biggest Loser (which admittedly is extreme) that lose 300 pounds in six months. Usually when one is that fat the first 100 comes flying off because they are no longer gorging to the point that it takes to maintain a 400-weight.

I think it is admirable that you lose 110 pounds in four years, but I think you are the one with atypical results if you stuck faithfully to a reputable diet plan. That would average out to a half a pound a week. I know that the last 40 or so can be difficult to get off, but sorry-the first 100 flies off for most people.

16. globetrotter

sorry, but it's like saying to somebody who is a drug adict, "hey, just have a little puff, I'm sure it will be ok"

I am not going to say "hey, it's not our fault we're fat, its our fate blah blah blah," but people get to be obese because they get addicted to food. the body and the mind work together to make it very hard to lose weight, and very hard to not eat.

the way to beat it isn't by cutting down on bread and dessert, you don't lose 100 pounds by only having half your dinner roll. sorry.

look, one of the guys I work with now is obese, and he eats an insane amount of food. looking from the side, I can't believe that I used to eat like that, but I understand his position. and cutting that consumption down isn't that easy, he can do it, but it is a major life change.

I'll give you and example - I eat in some of the best resteraunts in Asia and south america on a regular basis, and some pretty good resteraunts in Europe too. in at least half the cases, some body else orders the food, and they are trying to honor me and show off to me. I am simply not in a position to say "sorry, less bread and fat, more whole grains please" in each of these cases, I need to be on the top of my game, as millions of dollars in business are being discussed. and, frankly, I am very atracted to food. so, saying "eat less bread, more whole grains, you should be ok" is an idiot answer. its like saying to somebody who says to you "I'm an adict who has been sober for 6 years" "hey, just have a couple of drinks, I'm sure it will be fine"

17. globetrotter

interesting, but the 20's does explain it. good for him.

I would, again, say that Christie is 20 years older than your friend, and probably has less control over his time and is under a lot more stress. but good for your friend

18. unbelragazzo

You completely missed the point of my post. My point is that you don't have to eat less. In fact, trying to eat less is almost certainly counterproductive. You can eat as much steak and other healthy fats as you want. It would be almost impossible for you to eat more than 3500 calories a day without eating carbs. But even if you could, it likely would not be bad for you. Instead the things that you might think are healthy (grains for instance) are instead causing weight gain. So I'm trying to emphasize two points, that I think work against the idea of "eating is bad, and you have to punish yourself for it, and always feel like you are a sinner for eating":

1) You can eat as much as you want of certain things, including some that some people will say are bad for you, including meat and other saturated fats. Enjoy them! Eating is good, eating is necessary! You don't need to punish yourself by eating less and being hungry.

2) Some things that are often perceived to be healthy, mostly grains, are really not very healthy, and are likely to hinder your weight loss.

If you have people ordering for you, then it is indeed difficult to stick to a diet plan. I'm surely much more junior and insignificant at the meals I'm going to than you are, and am usually left to order for myself.

19. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Hmmmm I don't think it would be healthy to eat steak non-stop :confused:

20. globetrotter

ok, I get what you are saying but I have to smile - I haven't eaten 3500 calories a day in years. I spent a lot of my time trying to keep below 1200 calories a day when I'm not traveling.

but I do agree with you mostly - you have to be able to enjoy what you are eating, and you have to eat the right things. I haven't had a piece of bread bigger than an olive at one meal in years, I hardly eat rice or potatos, mostly I eat protien and fruits and non startchy vegitables.

I just think that it is a simplistic answer when you are talking about a situation like morbid obesity. you can't underestimate what an addiction is like. I am not tryihng to justify the situation, I'm just saying that it isn't easy to say to somebody "just don't eat a lot of bread"

look, I live my life with a lot of tools and tricks - I'll order almost anything at a resteraunt, or I'll taste almost anything, but I get to the resteraunt full (that is where the protien and fiber shake comes in) so no matter how delicious the food is, I only take a taste. I usually tear off a small peice of bread, and then send the bread away so I don't have to sit looking at it.

now, with me, I made a decision a few years ago to do this. I actually did it at a time that I felt I coudl, career wise. Christie hasn't decided to address this, and maybe this isn't the right time for him to, or maybe he never will. but cutting back on his bread isn't going to get him down 100 pounds.