• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morbidly Obese in the Public Eye, Is It Possible to Look Professional?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Obama's smoking was probably equivalent to Clinton's Fast Food problem. To be equivalent to Christie's morbid obesity, Obama would have had to have been a manic chain smoker who would panic going more than 30 minutes without a fix. Do you know how much food one has to eat to maintain a 400 pound weight?

No. At 5'11", I bet he's sitting around 300. Take it from someone who knows. If he were 400, he'd be unelectable.
EDIT: After further reflection, I'm upping my estimate to 315ish. But that's still quite a ways from 400.

Does it matter? At 5'11 morbidly obese starts at 245 if my calculator is right.

There are studies linking obesity to lower wages etc. The guy in the OP's pic starts out looking angry it just snowballs for guys like him.

Last edited:

nurktwin

Reaction score
Do we want a president larded with so much fupa that he'd get winded climbing the steps to Air Force One? If elected president, Christie would be taking catnaps after each greasy, fried, carb-overloaded meal. He'd be our first "sleep apnea" commander in chief.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Let me help you guys out here: As a formerly fat motherfucker I have first hand knowledge of this ****. Its physically impossible for a fat ************* to look stylish in clothes. PERIOD. Ain't happenin'. You're fat, and you know it. No amount of tailoring can hide the 20 piece bucket of wings you gobbled down on your way home from the office.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the "slippery slope" argument used in this thread, classic logical fallacy. Back to the focus at hand, it takes more work to look good when you are over weight. I'm doing my efforts to lose weight myself, no point in buying nice things just to look passable.

A morsel to add to the conversation, an overweight person can lose up to 15% of their mental capacity in a life time due to the extra mass. Best motivation I've ever heard to lose some weight...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An imposing, lumpen bulk does not accentuate the best features of a well tailored suit. Perhaps his wardrobe costs need not be astronomically high since a cheap suit or expensive suit would be as an equal eyesore.

But bless this poor man, he probably only eats salads and his weight problem is due to an overactive thyroid, slow metabolism or some other gland issues :devil:.

:teach: Perhaps more realistically his wise and elevating maxims stem from a basic concept that "good greasy and tasty food need not hurt anyone".

Hailing from NJ, maybe he visits Cake Boss guy too often, who bakes him a double breasted cake with floating canvas made from vanilla fondant.

I always look at oversized folks and rather than feel pity, I imagine and wonder what level of choppiness would exist in standard pool of water when they do a bomb dive into it. The pool doth runneth over.

For my 1000'th post, this zany advice was partially rendered under the influence of a brown / golden fluid that warms the chest and numbs the senses. Blessed ye be merry gentlemen.

Peace and love to all, fatties, thinnies, and imaginery friends that you see but nobody else can.

Last edited:

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few points.

Hating fat people is a prejudice of our age. Of course, there are more of them than ever. Need we hate them? No! And, absent immediate health issues, his weight has no bearing on his fitness to hold office. Which voters may dislike it is something his team has dissected, I'm sure. NJ voters liked him enough (or disliked Corzine enough) to vote him in.

Christie, AFAIK, does not come from money and has no taste for expensive clothes. Stuff looks tailored to him approximately. But more money could result in more attention to fit.

Two contemporary trends work to his disadvantage. One is the trend toward casualization. Do you have any pictures of Taft giving a speech in shirtsleeves, and vestless? I think not. Two is the trend toward lighter-weight suiting cloths. These show every pull and wrinkle and are something Sydney Greenstreet's tailor never had to deal with.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Two contemporary trends work to his disadvantage. One is the trend toward casualization. Do you have any pictures of Taft giving a speech in shirtsleeves, and vestless? I think not. Two is the trend toward lighter-weight suiting cloths. These show every pull and wrinkle and are something Sydney Greenstreet's tailor never had to deal with.

I agree with this. As mentioned several times in this thread, in a suit his weight isn't as prominent compared to him sans jacket. He looks less presidential-like without the jacket.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
consider the physical state of presidents and other officials before television and after. looks are clearly a huge factor. you dont have to like it or think its fair, but its a fact. when people are deciding who they want as a leader, even if one is intelligent, well spoken and capable, their looks often become a larger factor in the eyes of the public. often times people dont even realize they are making that judgement.

look at palin, and im not saying im for or against her, but you tell me her looks arent a huge leg up for her and you should have your head checked. kudos to the guy for making it as far as he has, but i would bet large a sum of money a person with that look will never be elected president in our day and age. id even be surprised if they were chosen as a running mate. again im not making a political point here, just an obsevation on how public figures are usually perceived.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So taking a smoke break every hour doesn't bother you? Obama was up to 1-2 packs a day which takes up a significant amount of time.

My boss takes a smoke break every hour. And he is 58 years old and fit as a fiddle otherwise, though I wish he'd stop smoking. But he still maintains a professional, commanding presence. Like it or not, someone can hide smoking or alcoholism much easier than gluttony and still look snappy in a suit.

Last edited:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me help you guys out here: As a formerly fat motherfucker I have first hand knowledge of this ****. Its physically impossible for a fat ************* to look stylish in clothes. PERIOD. Ain't happenin'. You're fat, and you know it. No amount of tailoring can hide the 20 piece bucket of wings you gobbled down on your way home from the office.

I always liked this joke:

Woman #1: Does this dress make me look fat?

Woman #2 No, it's the jelly donuts.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I always liked this joke:
Woman #1: Does this dress make me look fat?
Woman #2 No, it's the jelly donuts.

haha, i like this one i heard irl.

my brothers friend: do these pants make ****** look big?

my brother: no, your ass makes those pants look big.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I
A morsel to add to the conversation, an overweight person can lose up to 15% of their mental capacity in a life time due to the extra mass. Best motivation I've ever heard to lose some weight...

I am intrigued. More info?

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least he isn't black

(Please don't ban me :hide: )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads