1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mont Blanc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stazy, Sep 12, 2006.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Can do! Both the vintage and modern Parker Duofolds are oustanding pens. The modern ones offer 24 nib grades including left-handed and italic nibs. A much better value than Montblanc in my opinion.

Word.

My grandfather gave me one of his old Parkers back in the 1990s and I wouldn't trade it for anything Montblanc has made for three decades.

I also have a nice one that a local judge makes by hand (well, outside of the nib of course).

2. Zubberah

Zubberah Well-Known Member

Can't believe some of the vitriol levelled against MB. To say they are mass produced rubbish is a bit harsh IMO. My experience with the 162, the 146, several of the limited writer's series (Proust, Dickens, Dostoyevsky, Doue) is that they are exceptional pens. Prefer them to pelikan and Montegrappa and Cartier. Not sure all the criticism is fair. I think they are lovely pens, the bnibs of very high quality (used them for over 20 years without one problem here), feel good in my hand, good weight and good looking.

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

Can't believe some of the vitriol levelled against MB. To say they are mass produced rubbish is a bit harsh IMO. My experience with the 162, the 146, several of the limited writer's series (Proust, Dickens, Dostoyevsky, Doue) is that they are exceptional pens. Prefer them to pelikan and Montegrappa and Cartier. Not sure all the criticism is fair. I think they are lovely pens, the bnibs of very high quality (used them for over 20 years without one problem here), feel good in my hand, good weight and good looking.

It's not that their pens are bad, per se, but Montblanc is not the company it once was. Their proprietary resin is not all it's cracked up to be (pun intended). Meisterstucks and imitations of them are so prevalent as to have become common, which is to say not particularly noteworthy. I don't believe their dominance of the market is quite deserved. I should think they would be the first choice of an incurable brand whore who swallows whole all the hype.

That said, their limited editions are excellent pens. I've coveted a Hemingway since it first came out and am still kicking myself for not buying one when I had the chance. My mother has an Agatha Christie and an Oscar Wilde, and my sister-in-law has an Oscar Wilde she uses as her daily writer -- and she's a leftie. As for me, the only Montblanc nib I like is the broad, and I really have very few opportunities to write with a broad nib -- and the only pen I'm dying to have in broad is the Hemingway.

The question of which fountain pen is best is a very subjective matter, and I'm sure Montblanc is the choice for many knowledgeable people such as yourself. But you have taken the trouble to try other pens and concluded that Montblanc is the one that works best for you. More power to you. Too many people buy them just for the cachet of the branding.

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

Social stigma?
    I agree that Mont Blanc is just mass produced product,but do the cognoscente leave the room immediatly not wanting to associate with those who dare to produce a Mont Blanc pen or do the cognoscente just pass a knowing glance to one another while making mental notes of the offender's name.[​IMG]

Have you heard of the "blue-black spot"? When cognoscenti pass that knowing glance, they mark down the offenders name with their Omas, Namiki or what-have-you in a little black book and put a little, round spot next to it -- in blue-black ink, of course. The offender will then never get a date with Paris Hilton. That is the "blue-black spot" that has been the social scourge of many an aspiring young fountain pen user. Oh, the humanity!

[​IMG]

5. felixb

felixb Active Member

Hi,

Has anyone heard about the prices of Montblanc about to go up, or am I way off here?

Also, what's the ebst way to wear a pen -- shirt pocket, suit jacket pocket (if so, inside or outside), etc.

And, for someone who doesn't want a fountain pen, what's better -- roller or ballpoint?

Thank you

[​IMG]

6. JDHsatx

JDHsatx Active Member

There will be a price increase on 11/1/07 due to the value of the dollar vs. euro. This has been happening over the past year on most products imported from Eurpoe. Mont Blanc products are all made in Europe (writing instruments - Germany, men's cuff links - Italy, men's leather goods - Germany) and nothing is made in China.

7. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

Buy the Starwalker fine liner. Spring-loaded felt-tip nib. Very smooth, if a little broad.

Pen goes in the inside pocket of your jacket. Or tucked in the placket of your shirt, so it peeks out of your v-neck sweater on a casual cold day.

Hi,

Has anyone heard about the prices of Montblanc about to go up, or am I way off here?

Also, what's the ebst way to wear a pen -- shirt pocket, suit jacket pocket (if so, inside or outside), etc.

And, for someone who doesn't want a fountain pen, what's better -- roller or ballpoint?

Thank you

8. JDHsatx

JDHsatx Active Member

I find the Mont Blanc fineliner the best mode. The good thing about the fineliner writing instruments from MB is that they are interchangeable with rollerballs. The fineliner is a quick drying ink and perfect for left handed writers that tend to drag their hand over thier writing and smear it.