1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Monogram on a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I am thinking of getting a monogram on my Chan suit. I understand there is really very little utility to it but I enjoy the sinful vanity of monograms. For my Jantzen shirts I have my Chinese name (in Chinese characters) on the inside yoke. For the suit, Dusty suggested that I have one placed on the undercollar. Like so: [​IMG]

2. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

If you can get something done on the inside of the suit like that Brunello, than yes. Anywhere else on the suit (sleeves, chest, pockets) and I will give you the thrashing of your life.[​IMG]

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Most monograms were done on the inside lining, on the pocket, in very large letters, and highly embroidered.

In the film, "Pocketful of Miracles" you can catch a glimpse of the traditional monograms in the suit jackets qorn by Glen Ford.

4. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

Most MTM suits have this option as well or you can have it done on RTW, do inside of suit only. I've seen some with the linings done as a monogran with the person's name instead of the company that made the suit.

5. LabelKing

If you are really into monogramming, which I admit has its enticing aspects, you could also have monogrammed cigarettes although I'm not sure where you can get those anymore.

6. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

One could find monogrammed cigarette paper and have them rolled.

7. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

Monograms have their place -- and on a suit inside the jacket or under the collar is the right one.

I have monogrammed glassware I use periodically and a monogrammed lighter. On certain keepsakes and accessories they can be tastefully (and subtlety) applied.

I must say I've never been a fan of monograms on shirt cuffs or pockets/chests, but it doesn't sound like that's where you place yours either, and this is merely my personal preference.

8. LabelKing

One could find monogrammed cigarette paper and have them rolled.
    Yes, but it would be somwhat difficult to find cigarette paper makers willing to do one-off orders beyond the fact that most papers are not entirely natural. Back then, you would have a standing order with your speciality tobacco firm.

9. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Most monograms were done on the inside lining, on the pocket, in very large letters, and highly embroidered.

In the film, "Pocketful of Miracles" you can catch a glimpse of the traditional monograms in the suit jackets qorn by Glen Ford.

This is actually rather enticing. Would this work better with a sedate lining and the monogram in a brighter color or vice versa?

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

This is actually rather enticing. Would this work better with a sedate lining and the monogram in a brighter color or vice versa?
    YSL for a time was doing the same. It was monochromatic grey, color on color.

11. LabelKing

They were usually done with a sedate lining and the monogram in something like maroon or bright blue.

Yes, YSL did that at one time, for the Tom Ford era.

12. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

An embroidered monogram in the lining of a suit is a good touch. I use Gordon Yao of Hong Kong and we have agreed:

My name embroidered over the right in-breast pocket in a colour contrasting with the ling about 3/8" in size, and his name in Chinese characters below the left lower ticket pocket - same size and colour.

I recommend this course of action

13. joseanes

joseanes Well-Known Member

MyTailor.com puts the embroidered name inside (on the lining - the part nobody sees while wearing) in all jackets. I think it is a nice touch.

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Chan talked me out of getting one on the undercollar as it would leave an imprint when the collar is ironed. I chose the standard position above the inside pocket.