1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Dude, if you can't button them up right now, you won't be able to later. Those are unsanforized and will shrink down at most 2 inches in the waist beyond where they are already. That in addition to Momotaros being difficult to stretch in the first place and I'd exchange for a size up or two. Words of warning.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. lckychrmsbboy

lckychrmsbboy Well-Known Member

That dude made a HUGE mistake buying those!!! I mean, I guess he's ok if he never plans on washing and is actually able to stretch them enough to button

You need to hurry and return those before you have put too much wear into them and BO wont exchange them for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rightyow77

Rightyow77 Well-Known Member

Yeah size up and for F' sakes it's called an edit button. (like Caltext said)

1 person likes this.
  4. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Well-Known Member

question about soaking and shrink to fit..

I've never soaked a pair of dry jeans upon arrival...always worn dry for at least a year before doing a wash or ocean jump.

what do you guys think the benefit is of doing a soak right away? pure fit?

I thought that doing an initial soak might negatively impact the fades i'd get later on but perhaps i'm wrong.

5. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Well-Known Member

water is not the enemy__ it's your jeans' friend.
    it drains out the starch & tempers the fabric+ thread
    .... ie, if you plan on keeping them longer than the 1st couple of washes.

6. Boognish

Boognish Well-Known Member

0201s after about 6 months of wear, two soaks and two washes

[ATTACHMENT=4354]0201.jpg (834k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

On STF denim (Unsanforized) it's pretty much a necessity to soak first so they can get down to the size they're going to end up. You can go forever without it, but then you will always know in the back of your mind that they're going to shrink incredibly any time they hit water. Once that happens, it can ruin your pair. Sure, fades will be "misplaced" but worse than that they usually WON'T FIT, b/c people try to cram themselves into the smallest possible size and then they shrink down even futher.

Dude needs to return those jeans fast before they have any where whatsoever and get a bigger size, or you're going to be seeing a Midnight Warrior hugely discounted on the B/S in about six months when his wife/gf accidently washes his jeans, or he gets stuck in a rainstorm, or spills something and then has to wash them and they turn out 2 inches too small.

8. mr chorizo

thanks argentino....I've only "wash" in the ocean these days...so hopefully shrinking wouldn't be too much presuming i leave the jeans on too dry. Would you say that pre-soaking has any affect on the quality of the fades?

on an unrelated note, stumbled across this gem of an article...enjoy.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5303913_wear-denim-jacket.html

9. PDinh

PDinh Well-Known Member

^that was a joke right? :cloud:

1 person likes this.
  10. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

Great picks, but you need to size up! You only need to size up one size though. I have a size 31 holding for you now, call me and we will make the swtich. It is an unsanforized fabric and a tag 31 will be able to button and will still be tight on the waist line, but you will be fine. You will probably need to wear them without soaking for the first week or two.

As for the advice on soaking, it is not 100% necessary to soak unsanforized denim. It is a personal choice and it depends upon the fabric. Some unsanforized fabrics will shrink 2"-3" in the inseam length, some will only shring .5". Momotaro fabric does not shrink that much. It is very tightly woven, dense, and simply does not move. It also will not stretch much for the same reason. My advise is to size up one size, wear them without soaking until you feel they have stretched out enough, and then enjoy. Soak/wash when you feel the time is right.

....FYI, I am currently 6 weeks in on one of the collabs wearing a tag 31 that measures 32.4" in the waist right now and has also stretched .4" in the thigh. Brand new I could not button the top 2 buttons, now can button easily. They have never been soaked and I do not plan to soak them any time soon. I am 6' and 160lbs. I hope that gives you a bit more perspective.

11. PDinh

PDinh Well-Known Member

Waiting on silk momos to drop. Gonna wear them for the competition I'm gonna win. :D

12. Mistral

Mistral Well-Known Member

Good luck with those. Heard they are super comfortable, but don't fade that much. Lovely jeans though.

13. Momotels

Momotels Member

Thank you for bringing me to light with the unsanforized jeans and the way your momos are treating you. I was trying to decide whether or not to return them for a different size.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. itbegins

itbegins Well-Known Member

Dude, follow Jay's advice and return them... how is this a difficult decision?

15. Momotels

Momotels Member

Already boxed up for an exchange

16. baangolf

baangolf New Member

Does anyone know? Where can i find Momotaro jeans shop in Hong kong ??

17. mr chorizo

Any evo pics on these so far? sound great!

18. MKMKMK

MKMKMK Active Member

2 more days to the contest !!

19. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Okay beeches, check your pm's with the details about where to send the 10 USD for the buy in.

Make sure you add your screen name and send it as a gift.

If you have not PM'ed me and want to participate please do so. Everyone that has sent me a message should have a group message in their inbox with details on where to send the funds.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  20. xdawes23

xdawes23 Well-Known Member

Is the Naked & Famous x Momotaro collaboration on par with Momotaro's quality?

At $265, if they are on par with quality, its a decent deal -since Momotaro's start at ~$300