1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Modern Art

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Manny Calavera, Apr 28, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

But are they serious?

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

they're exhibiting at a new buddhist temple in san francisco. i don't know if they're serious, but i imagine they are.

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Witkin is great. Came to talk at my undergrad school.
    I really like his takes on Velasquez.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

another of my favorite (post) modern artists is Barbara Kruger....I was lucky to have her as an instructor. I like the simplicity and black/white (literally and figuratively) nature of her work and intent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. designprofessor

another of my favorite (post) modern artists is Barbara Kruger....I was lucky to have her as an instructor. I like the simplicity and black/white (literally and figuratively) nature of her work and intent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I include her in alot of my lectures, how was she as a teacher?

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I include her in alot of my lectures, how was she as a teacher?

She was a guest instructor and it was a 'theory' class so it wasn't as if she was teaching us "how to draw" (i doubt traditional art methods are her forte anyways, with her background), but I found her completely engaging and she inspires you to think about what you are doing beyond what you are currently thinking of. She came off as the typical "bitter woman artist" but getting past that, one could really learn a lot from her lectures, but I have a feeling that some people's reactions to *her* as a person wouldn't let them get that far.

7. designprofessor

Interesting. always strange when you see the work, then encounter the person. I visited a well known NY artist in his studio. I was expecting something completely different.
    We got along, he was nice, but I left somewhat de -mystified. I thought it was going to be this whole huge production scene, it wasn't. Just him alone painting, pretty soon he's saying, "does this look right?" At that point I'm thinking, "hell I do could this...wait, I am doing this."

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Interesting. always strange when you see the work, then encounter the person. I visited a well known NY artist in his studio. I was expecting something completely different. We got along, he was nice, but I left somewhat de -mystified. I thought it was going to be this whole huge production scene, it wasn't. Just him alone painting, pretty soon he's saying, "does this look right?" At that point I'm thinking, "hell I do could this...wait, I am doing this."
    I spent and afternoon with Ellsworth Kelly at his house one time. It was the exact opposite of what you describe. Not only was he like a man from a past century (not age wise), but everything that he had around was interesting. I was particularly fascinated by a group of photographs of buildings that looked just like some of his most minimalist artwork.

9. designprofessor

I spent and afternoon with Ellsworth Kelly at his house one time. It was the exact opposite of what you describe. Not only was he like a man from a past century (not age wise), but everything that he had around was interesting. I was particularly fascinated by a group of photographs of buildings that looked just like some of his most minimalist artwork.
    Very cool. My situation was in a Tri Beca studio, perhaps his house would have been different. i'm envious of your experience with Mr. Kelly. did you happen to get a work of his? I'm around artists alot, and sometimes the collectors have more interesting surroundings.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Very cool. My situation was in a Tri Beca studio, perhaps his house would have been different. i'm envious of your experience with Mr. Kelly. did you happen to get a work of his? I'm around artists alot, and sometimes the collectors have more interesting surroundings.

My parents have owned several of his pieces over the years, and have had contact with him forever. I was lucky to tag along this particular time as I happened to be around.