1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Moda Republic - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alex-ModaR, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Chris-ModaR

Chris-ModaR Well-Known Member

Hey guys it's been a while, but here is some of our latest fabric selections!
    Again these are a continuation of our oxford pinpoint stripe series, hope you guys like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

That last one looks exceptional!

3. neachdainn

neachdainn Member

I'll toss a proper review up on a separate thread and link it when I take some pictures later this week...

But, in the meantime.... I GOT MY FREAKIN' SUIT! [​IMG]

I'll admit... I might be a little excited...

**DISCLAIMER - I'm a total suiting noob, so I'll probably use terms which don't make sense, or are out of place. Sorry?**

After 2 visits from Moda's affiliate in Vancouver for measurements and to look at fabrics, and an endless barrage of emails across the Pacific, it's here... after 2 days shipping! I wasn't expecting shipping THAT quick... now, that may have something to do with DHL, but regardless... wow.

I know a common complaint on the forum is a lack of suiting and shirt fabric options on the website - I truly hope they figure out a system to showcase all that they have, as I was overwhelmed by the choices laid out in front of me in person. I seemed to end up with about 6 top choices every time I looked, so I had to close my eyes and point at one point... Ended up settling on a Vitale Barberis Canonico lightweight charcoal, as this is primarily for my wedding... in greece... in the summer... [​IMG]

First impressions opening the package - it was wrapped much better than the previous suit I ordered, and survived shipping well. The fabric was bang on, and the construction was flawless. This is my second MTM suit after returning my first one to Indochino, and the differences are substantial. Obviously, the half-canvassed construction will make a difference, but real difference was in the details. Beautiful pick stitching around the liner, no loose threads anywhere, properly pressed, actually coming with a garment bag... the list goes on for a while. HUGE difference in quality... and I paid about the same.

Fit on the jacket and shirt are bang on, and only minor alterations to the vest and pants (mostly due to me dropping a bit of weight), which is great, but what I'm most impressed with is the cut actually makes me look like i'm wearing something other than a potato sack! I've got a bit of a weird body proportion which kind of makes me look like a potato with some popsicle sticks for legs, but with this suit I actually look like a human being!

Can't wait for my other shirt to arrive (was remade just before shipping), and needless to say, I'll be ordering more suits from Alex, Chris & crew.

4. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

That's cool. Do you think you can take some pictures so we can see the fit?

5. Chris-ModaR

Hi Neachdainn (real name withheld for obvious reasons),

We're so glad you enjoyed the experience! Look forward to seeing photos of the suit on you!

-Chris

6. Chris-ModaR

Hey guys here are more fabrics that will soon be available on our website!

These are already available for order, just contact us via email or PM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jj970

jj970 Member

8. Chris-ModaR

Got back to ya jj970, look forward to seeing you!

9. alpyigit

alpyigit Well-Known Member

I recently got 5 shirts from ModaR as first time client and I have been delighted with the customer service I received from Alex and Chris during the process. They have been very flexible to work around my very tight HK schedules.

I paid HKD 500 each, good value for what I got as a product. During the fabric selection and fitting, I have received honest advice and recommendations, which are, for me, as important as the quality of the worksmanship.

I will definitely continue working with them in the future and hope to get a suit from them next time...

1 person likes this.
  10. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Well-Known Member

Hi Alpyigit thanks for your review on us and look fwd to helping you out in future!

11. Chris-ModaR

We've been getting some interest in linen shirting fabric lately as warmer weather rolls around so I thought I'd start by posting some plain color linen fabrics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, a big thank you to alpyigit for the glowing review! Look forward to helping you again in the future!

1 person likes this.
  12. Chris-ModaR

More Linen's for you guys to look at !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. neachdainn

neachdainn Member

Hi folks!

Sorry about the delay in getting these photos up... I've been pretty busy with school, and other things...

[​IMG]

But in any case... here is my full review with photos of the suit and shirts I received from Alex, Chris and crew at Moda. Some of this is a bit of regurgitation from my previous post, so bear with me :)

---------------------------------------------------------

To start with a bit of a disclaimer, I am fairly new to the classic menswear scene. I'm finally about to finish my education, and my future career will require me to dress like a civilized human being most of the time, so I figure now is a good time to jump in, and get some of the kinks worked out... :)

The main purpose for ordering this suit was for my wedding, which is coming up at the end of May. Rather than rent a suit/tux like the masses, I figured my money would be better spent on something I can wear more than once, and would last. I'm blessed with an oddly proportioned body, with a rather large upper body, and legs which resemble popsicle sticks, which has made it difficult to find something that fits well OTR.

My first foray into a M2M suit was from (ghasp!) Indochino... yes, they're good at marketing, and happened to have their travelling tailor event in my city, so I decided to give it a shot... and returned the suit as quick as I possibly could. But, this isn't a review of them.

After coming across this forum, I saw Moda's introduction thread, and decided I would give them a shot. They seemed to know what they were talking about, and was willing to commit some back-and-forth time to get the order right for my needs. An added bonus was that they had an affiliate locally who could come by to help pick out material and perform the necessary measurements.

So, after a couple visits with their affiliate, and somewhere in the neighbourhood of 600 emails (i'm exaggerating.. i hope..), I placed my order for a 3 piece Vitale Barbaris Canonico suit. We chose a nice lightweight super 120's wool, as my wedding is in Greece, and its probably going to be pretty toasty. One thing I should note, is that based on my previous experience with M2M suiting, I asked Moda to ensure there was some additional fabric left at the seams, just in case measurements were off and I needed significant alterations.

The suit took approximately 1 month in production. This fell over Chinese new year, so there was a week added on due to that. Shipping was extremely quick - 3 days total from HK to Vancouver. I was really impressed!

Upon receiving the suit, I was struck by the quality of construction. Lots of great, fine details that were missing from my first try with Indochino. It really made the suit look like it was made by tailors, rather than machines, which was exactly what I was hoping for.

[​IMG]
    Ooo... fancy italian name and everything!

[​IMG]
    Love the pick stitching detail

[​IMG]
    Really like the functional pocket flap. Not used to carrying a money clip, so the security of knowing it won't fall out is nice :)

[​IMG]
    Great quality buttons, as far as i'm concerned. Absolutely loved the texture of the fabric, and it's super soft and light.

[​IMG]
    Heel guard... I had no idea that these even existed. That's kind of sad, actually.

As for fit, out of the box, the jacket and shirt were dead on. I had to take the vest and pants in a bit (probably due to losing some weight after being measured), and let out the hem as I have freakishly long legs. My tailor was actually really impressed with the quality of instruction. He is an old school eastern european tailor who was trained in Italy, and used to make suits for diplomats, KGB, etc. (so he has some pretty cool stories.. haha), and noted that the suit looked like it was made by a real tailor from the "old country", not some machines in China.

I felt like I had no restrictions on movement at all, everything fit and sat very comfortably, and overall I was very pleased with how everything fit. Now, as I said before, this is my first "real" suit, so its possible that I may still need a couple more alterations here and there (so please feel free to chime in on anything you think needs to be touched up).

Here's the fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And, in my classic style, I forgot to button the bottom of the vest... le sigh.

[​IMG]
    Bunching is partially my fault... I took these photos after a 4 hour dinner function, and another 45 minutes sitting on the train, so the pants were in pretty rough shape.

[​IMG]
    Pardon the cuffs.. have some custom links on order, but they haven't arrived yet.

[​IMG]

I also received a second shirt with this order, which I just snapped some photos of this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recommendations on some ties to go with this bad boy?

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my somewhat long winded review. Hopefully I can continue to learn more from this community, and contribute where I can! :)

14. Chris-ModaR

Hey guys,

Thought I'd throw some non-plain linens up! :)

Thanks for sharing the review neachdainn!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Chris-ModaR

Hey guys!

Our new website is finally up and running with all the extra fabrics we've added on the the FABRIC header. This is still sort of a beta, everything is good to go though but we might be making minor tweaks based on feedback we get from users, particularly you guys!

The url is the same: http://www.modarepublic.com/

I'll update this post shortly with the code for the 3shirtbundle! Enjoy and we really want you guys to offer any feedback you might have, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  16. Chris-ModaR

17. Betelgeuse

Until when does this code apply?

18. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Well-Known Member

Hi Betelgeuse, the coupon code will apply for the next few months as we continue to ramp up the site. Am excited to get more feedback from members. Thanks!

19. Betelgeuse

The new site looks definitely a lot better, more interesting and much more attractive. Congrats! I hope to order soon!

20. Chris-ModaR

Hey guys!

Here are some more linen checks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]