1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Well-Known Member

This is top notch

2. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

Just had a good look this site - lots of stuff we've seen before but also lots we haven't so thanks for that Pequod.

I have lifted this photo. Unfortunately the quality is very poor (looks like its been through the wash in somebody's back pocket)

[​IMG]

However, this is the closest photo I have seen to how we looked in our area in 1969/70.

1) All had short hair
    2) Hardly any braces showing (cardigans not worn much at all in our area)
    3) Jeans turned up but not higher than the top of the boots.

(Early in 1970 the plain shirts were replaced by checks)

Un-mistakenly (un-mistakedly?) skinhead

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  3. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

Your right this is a good photo of the old times. This is very typical of our lot in the South as well. All your items are correct and its a big misconception that our jeans were halfway up our legs as the general public assumed. Ironically we did not want to draw attention to ourselves - it was our fashion and we were not keen on other types getting in on it - if that makes sense

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

Good find Pequod - just starting to sift through them - some I have not seen before

5. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

Yes, the jeans, cords or sta-prest were all worn to just cover the top of a 6 eyelet boot. We all had a cardigan for casual wear.I only had one pair of braces and didn't wear them much. The skinhead caricature was a joke.

6. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The Site Pequod found lists this photo as 1966.What do yuz think? I guess it would depend on location.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Well, mid-to-late-1960s mods did wear braces to keep their strides hanging right, but didn't tend to show them off that much.

8. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

Given the fact that , the guy at the very front (second from left) looks like a young Graeme Macpherson , I thought that it was a photo of an early Madness line up. .

9. Bob the Badger

Which would date the photo about 1976. The woman in the background top right suggests a holiday camp setting.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Hi Bob, how about this for a camp-site setting: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-times-row-local-manhandled-beloved-pet.html

Check out one of the family-shot pic.

(Apologies for linking to the Daily Mail but the lad's family have an interesting take on fashion - and why not?) :satisfied:

11. Bob the Badger

Blimey, I've never seen a Skinhead family before.

Great photos on the tumblr blog. I've already spotted some people, boys and girls, that I knew from school.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  12. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I had one pair of Braces(which I wore with the Greens)after that no.Never wore them with a Suit-because it threw the line of the Suit out.Only other time was about `71/`72 when we wore them under White Coats(Butchers) and rolled the Trousers up slightlly higher than we did before.We had Shoulder Length Hair and Patterned Shirts.A kind of "throwback" really but you always knew who was in the "Trade".

13. browniecj

Wore Braces with Greens-not too many times afterwards(only had one pair).Never wore Braces with a Suit-threw the Line of the Suit out. :)

14. browniecj

Sorry,fcking Computer is playing up.

15. The Saint

The Saint Well-Known Member

Yeh , I see what you mean , Ed , the one thing they have in common , the thing that ties them together if you like is , Dr Martens Boots. .

[​IMG]

16. derekg

derekg Member

Damm, just looked through the pictures, some good ones on there, and to my surprise there is one of me in about 66/67 saved it to show the family

17. Man-of-Mystery

No wonder DM still makes money, eh?

18. Man-of-Mystery

I had a pair before 69, but didn't wear them that much - the main look 'oop north' was to have jeans that fitted (i.e. shrink-to-fit) worn without belts, braces, or anything else to hold them up - but nevertheless I did see some blokes with them. The were usually worn under a surf jacket or suit jacket, hardly ever just with a shirt, unless the day had suddenly got hot. I think I mentioned before, but on my first visit to Bromley High Street (N Kent / S E London) in the summer of 1968, I saw three or four blokes (with their girlfriends) walking along in brogues or loafers, Levis, tennis shirts (though one guy actually had a red granddad vest and an Edwardian moustache), and braces. They had a 'mod' air to them, the way they had their hands in their pockets (thumbs out), the fact that their jeans weren't that short, and so on.

19. Bob the Badger

Back then we didn't carry cameras with us except perhaps on holiday so not enough photos exist from that time. It is always good to find a photo that backs up the memory as to what was being worn at any time.To my knowledge only one photo of me from 69/70 exists on the Internet. I can boast how smart I was without contradiction I did find some photos of me from the mid 70's in the loft but I wouldn't want them to get out.

20. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Thanks, mate - some good old pics on there. :nodding: