1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

ROFL!!!!!

:rotflmao:

Ooooh... France Gall! I remember France Gall

[​IMG]

I'll spare you the pic of Sandy!

1 person likes this.
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  3. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

^ at least they are actually saying the S word (but why do they keep dragging music into it? - ska is shit)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  4. TomMc666

TomMc666 Well-Known Member

Clouseau
    Its even worse, Elms crap

Skinhead is more than merely a trend, it’s a way of life – well according to photographer Gavin Watson, writer and broadcaster Robert Elms, Mike Skinner and thousands of other individuals who have been involved in the movement, across the past four decades, it is, and they are right.
    Introducing us to the ‘Spirit of 69’ campaign, Robert Elms told the story of his youth steeped in anecdotes of the era – from being jealous of his brother Reggie and his short-hair, denim jeans, braces, white socks and DM’s get-up (which drove his mother mad), to the style tips he took from the West Indian Families inhabiting Tower Hamlets at the time. Describing himself as a ‘youth culture archaeologist’, Elms transported us back to one of the most strident and striking movements ever experienced in the UK. The Bethnal Green boys were bored of the Mile End mods, they wanted the ‘tough stuff’. They were puritans, the sartorial brutalists of their age. “To look like that is not an accident,” says Elms. “Nothing in skinhead is an accident, it’s all planned and prescribed.”
    Similarly for Watson, skinhead was a way of life. “The feeling was like heroin, it was an addiction for someone insecure,” he explained. But in a landscape where youths were bombarded by the sounds of Madness and The Specials and where skinheads received no positive press, Dr. Martens were the continuum in this story of cultural discovery. So re-adopting the 1969 significance that Dr. Martens possessed – trekking across London on a Saturday to the best stall in Shepherd’s Bush market to buy a pair of pristine boots with a cult record under your arm – this collection exemplifies the spirit of the era.
    Sat in Bethnal Green Working Men’s club, feasting on a breakfast of English tea, marmalade on toast and Tunnock’s teacakes, there was no better place to screen the unique campaign film created by Mike Skinner which explored the sub-culture to nostalgic effect. Having also collaborated with other influential brands associated with the movement – Trojan Records, Edwin, Alpha and Brutus – the capsule collection was the perfect modern representation of back-to-basics skinhead style. Including tartan Brutus shirts, Edwin jeans, Alpha Industries MA-1 flight jackets, a Trojan Record bag and of course the original Dr. Martens models – the skinhead footwear of choice – this is quite possibly their most exciting collection to date.
    The Dr. Martens ‘Spirit of 69′ collection will be available this September.

- See more at: http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/2014/05/premier-dr-martens-spirit-of-69/#sthash.8yzNB7C3.dpuf

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

PISH!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Ah!Robert Elms again.A Skinhead expert at 10 years old(born in `59).He knows everything about the Mile End and the Bethnal Green Boys-even though he lived in Burnt Oak and was born in Hendon.I would never say I knew what went on in North London because I never went there.But that is the difference,every thing that is put up in the Subject he is there with his"expert" opinion.He was not there! He only watched his older Brothers and their Mates dressing up_no problem with that,but FFS leave the rest out Elms you are going on hearsay-end of
    I never listen to his Show because his f*cking voice gets on my nerves. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. browniecj

Beautiful !!!!

8. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

Quote: Well it's more like 'voices'. He seems to have about 20 different ones, depending on what subject he's spouting his platitudes on. And yeah, they're all bloody grating.
    He's like a real life Leonard Zelig.

1 person likes this.
  9. londonspykid

londonspykid Member

Shame about that DM campaign, and an embarrassing amount of historical inaccuracies in that short passage. Specials and Madness the soundtrack to the late 60s-eh?!?!

Also sad to hear of Edwin's association with the campaign. They make some beautiful straight/slim leg selvedge jeans which work well with the look IMO but the ones they seem to have produced for the campaign look like scruffy drainpipe/skinny jean nonesense from those pics.

10. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

^ there is more to skinhead than the late 60s - and good to see that fact recognised in the various 'voices', albeit imperfectly.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  11. londonspykid

londonspykid Member

Granted I skim read and didn't realise that was part of a Gavin Watson quote but when you call your campaign the spirit of 69 and make no distinctions between discussing recollections of someone from the 60s and another from the 80s it does give a somewhat inaccurate depiction. That's all I was getting at.

12. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Well-Known Member

Elms, is a self-serving upstart, who is intent on feathering his nest using the historical memories of those who are either unwilling, or unable to use the medium of radio, tv and written press. He then uses other ill-informed, media sources to present himself as someone who was there... we all know he knows fuckall, he's best ignored and starved of the oxygen of publicity he craves, and depends on so much.

Sussed, mate!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  13. browniecj

Nice one Ed.I would do a pretty reasonable "Radio Show" about London,if I had the financial clout and the numerous "researchers" he has.

14. browniecj

:)

15. browniecj

Nice to see old Film of Brixton(around `69),on the Hairy Bikers "Food Tour Of Britain".It showed the Market and the surrounding Streets.The Shop I visited there (FHW)to do Window Dressing,was in Electric Avenue.Next but one door along was a Record Shop that used to blast out Reggae all day long.Walking around the Market you has various Stalls,doing the same thing.It was great during the Lunch Breaks. :)

16. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

Ed's right. Ignore squinty-pipsqueak Elms. Don't give the fella the oxygen. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So, to get things back on a non-Elmscentric track. Here is myself and Lennon wearing the same sun-bins.
    Lennon does look infinitely more stylish I know.
    Then again, my photo was taken on my 45th birthday.
    Swings and round-a-bouts.

17. browniecj

I can see the likeness :D

18. Man-of-Mystery

Except Lennon hasn't lit his oily rag!

19. Man-of-Mystery

I'm kinda wincing every time anyone takes a clout at Elms - yes, I know it's all fair comment and he gets my goat too with his "I was there" attitude to every youth movement from 1969 onwards. BUT business is business, and his was one of the names punted around when we discussed the idea of getting a 'celeb' foreword to 'the book'.

So, how is 'the book' going? Well, I'm about to start devoting time to it again. I'm sorry that life has got in the way over the past two or three years. I have recruited some assistance and I'm hoping to hear about some progress in the near future. Meanwhile, late mod Peter Heed has unearthed some valuable photos from 1970. I'm not going to put them on here because I've noticed the way that everything posted here gets treated as public domain and flogged to death all over the internet (like my ugly mug finding its way onto a poster in Brazil - bloody ridiculous!). I'm going to try to hold a few things back so there is some good, 'new' material for publication.

Fred Perry weather up here in Scotland!

20. Man-of-Mystery

I'm going to make an exception with this detail from one of Peter Heed's photos. Pete and his mates identified themselves as mods right through the skinhead era. Some guys simply did, and saw a distinction. Here is one of Pete's mates in 1970. I dare say we wouldn't have turned our noses up at this 'look' - there's a lot we would recognise.

[​IMG]