1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

Detectives ??? What year do we think these may be ??? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

First Pic is Early 80's, Wycombe Lads.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Most of the country is outside of the M25 as well, isn't it?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Quote:Most of the country, including my own county of Essex is indeed north of Potters Bar! I didn't really comment on the music played at the Ad-Lib club, but much of it (not browniecj's) fell into your last two categories. Some of it was very obscure (to me) but it didn't really spoil my enjoyment - although Mrs Knightley took brownie to task for not playing / getting the other DJs to play some more familiar sounds. I suppose I was expecting some from Randy Cozens mod 100 and perhaps the odd bit of Stax / Atlantic / Motown. I think Roy has mentioned before that many skinheads did not especially go out of their way to find obscure music and were happy with a bit of a mix including soul, reggae, blues and even mainstream pop.

6. Mr Knightley

Quote:Yesterday, most of the population of the country was stuck on the M25, including me!

7. Mr Knightley

Quote:Just the way to sport a longwing!

8. elwood

elwood Well-Known Member

I thought the second one was Cambridge 1971(?) - posted by Bunty who found it on Facebook?

9. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I didn't really comment on the music played at the Ad-Lib club, but much of it (not browniecj's) fell into your last two categories. Some of it was very obscure (to me) but it didn't really spoil my enjoyment - although Mrs Knightley took brownie to task for not playing / getting the other DJs to play some more familiar sounds. I suppose I was expecting some from Randy Cozens mod 100 and perhaps the odd bit of Stax / Atlantic / Motown.

I think Roy has mentioned before that many skinheads did not especially go out of their way to find obscure music and were happy with a bit of a mix including soul, reggae, blues and even mainstream pop.[/quote]

My Ears are still ringing,Mr.Knightley :) At the Ad-Lib they do play more known stuff(that would have been spun in the original Clubs).In my Set I played some Tunes that were played in" The Flamingo","Roaring Twenties" and "The Ram Jam" Clubs-I had the "Brief" to make it authentic as possible.I have said before that what got played in the local Youth Club etc.,was not always played in the Clubs.Jamaican Djs were playing to their "Crowd" not Skinheads(it was the same with the Mods-to a certain extent).Count Suckle(Roaring Twenties) and Duke Vin(The Flamingo) were Sound System men who came from Jamaica with their Records.Just to give another example,The Soul Mates "Them A Laugh And A Kiki" was a Club Hit 6 months before the Skinheads got hold of it.I got it as a new release in "Desmonds",Brixton.

When I go to Dos it always fascinates me how People interpretate certain Decades.Some get it spot-on some do not(but at least they are trying).Go to Reggae Dos in the North and Midlands and you will see a whole collection of different styles-associated with Skinhead.

1 person likes this.
  10. browniecj

Halfway through my Set,two Djs played a British R&B Set in the Lounge.You had more common names spun then-The Rolling Stones,The Who,Long John Baldry etc.,etc.The only problem is you move and you will lose your seats or stand in a crowded Bar.This was the first time it was on,and going by the reaction it is permanent. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Blimey! There's a blast from the past. I'd almost forgotten that record. I had it.

12. browniecj

One of my all time favourites,alongside "Landlords And Tenants"-Laurel Aitken and "At The Dark End Of The Street" by Pat Kelly.Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeees!!!! :)

1 person likes this.
  13. baggycasual

baggycasual Well-Known Member

Hi all. I've just discovered on the back of my natural/beige Baracuta there is a thin dark line running about half way across in the middle and another slighter worse dark marking near the top right. I presume these are from leaning up against something or perhaps getting in and out of cars. Maybe catching my back on a door or something. I was just wondering if anyone could offer any expert advice at getting rid of them? I'm planning to take it to the dry cleaners to see what they can do. I don't want to attempt anything myself at this point in case I make it worse. Thanks in advance for any help.

14. Mr Knightley

I should take it to the dry cleaners, as you plan to . Shortly after getting my loden colour one I noticed a couple of marks on the front and dry clean worked for me.

The interesting thing is that my Polo version feels very similar but cannot be dry cleaned - that has to be washed. It does shrug off marks where the Baracuta seems to attract them!

15. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

I think the owners of suburban dance halls and clubs preferred mainstream music and suits, collars and ties to attract a respectable crowd that would not cause trouble.

Do not forget places like the Hammersmith Palais still had their own dreadful bands( Ray McVay) in the sixties and early seventies. "Obscure music" was liked, but there was little chance of hearing it on a Saturday night at many popular venues. The choice was go to those places or seek out music you wanted in other venues.

16. baggycasual

baggycasual Well-Known Member

Thanks Knightley

17. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Well-Known Member

Quote:
    I would venture to say that is still rings true today, why do you think bands started playing in Pubs and other smaller places?

18. browniecj

Exactly Kingstonian. :)

19. Tom OConnor

Tom OConnor New Member

My name is Tom I live in Bognor Regis West Sussex I am married,59 and was a skin head from 68 till 72. I have been on f/b since Nov 2013 and started my own group page for lovers of Jamaican music and whilst setting up the group discovered lots of sites and groups with similar people and was given a link to join this forum happy days lol

1 person likes this.
  20. browniecj

Hello Tom OConnor welcome to the Forum.