1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

The boys from West London/Chelsea were way ahead of us living in other parts of London and the suburbs, in terms of the Ivy knowledge. I didn't know the term Preppy.

2. roytonboy

roytonboy Well-Known Member

The first time I heard the term 'skinhead' was from a Mod in school, early in 1969. We were chatting one break time and he said "We were fighting some skinheads last night" I said "Who?" and he replied, "You know, Peanuts". I asked who he meant and when he described them to me I thought, 'why is he fighting with them, they are Mods, just like him'. Then I took a step back - he had hair like Ray Davies of the Kinks, was wearing flares, a paisley shirt and tie and a parka. Other than the parka I wouldn't have worn any of that, I don't think this lad had any interest in football at all - I knew which camp I was in! By that stage I was already wearing turned up Levi's and boots, but didn't yet have the haircut (I was 14). A few weeks later stories started to appear in the press about 'Skinheads' - for me it was a conscious decision to have the haircut and adopt that 'identity'.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

So who epitomizes "Mod" for you these days?

[​IMG]

My money is on this bloke.

The Johnny Collar pique Polo is rare as hens teeth these days.I remember the Girls at School in the late 60's used to wear Aertex ones for Hockey.I have been hunting high and low for a good one for years.

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree the most interesting time for any look is when it is just beginning to emerge. It is also a time when the 'uniform' is not yet firmly established and there is far more scope for experimentation and, of course, what we might now call 'wardrobe malfunction'!

5. ModxDave

ModxDave Member

I totally agree about thr RL stuff. When I was going through my casual phase I was amazed at how high the lads in the UK rated Polo shirts! I did make a killing purchasing them at TJ Maxx and selling them to the UK lot through certain well know Casual websites :).

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

The guy on the right of this "Swinging london" picture looks very "mod" to me. What kind of weird shoes is he wearing?
    But of course, it's not the lad who is really interesting on this photo, isn't it ? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I think you will find it is a more "Kings Road" type of Disco,Clouseau.A more older crowd. :)

8. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

I have written before,the two Styles merged about late `68,between the West London(Ivy Shop)Look and the more paired down,no frills Look of East London.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Well, i would enjoy a couple of drinks and a dance or two there anyway ! [​IMG]

10. bunty

bunty Well-Known Member

'Ivy league' or 'preppy' were not terms heard here, the catch all term was 'The Beach Boy look' for Mods, a brief '64 (?) summer style.

It consisted of; short sleeved striped shirts, light coloured trousers, white t-shirts (with or without numbers/initials etc) loafers, harringtons, side parted hair, etc.

This fad would date very quickly, and a dour style of, for instance - trousers, fine crew neck jumper (with sleeves pushed up like Mick Jagger!) and hush puppies look would take over.

Moving on to the later 60s, don't remember the Ivy shop at all, clothes could be purchased locally far more easily than they could have 5 years earlier.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

I hear you. But on the other hand, the pic below is of a bloke called Peter Heed, who consistently and emphatically referred to himself then as a 'mod', and still does when talking about himself, his style, and his mates of that era.

[​IMG]

12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

You mean almost exactly like Ron Howard in American Graffiti :D

[​IMG]

In 64 I would have been 13/14, and would have given my eye-teeth to have been able to dress like the Beach Boys! :D

13. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

Colin I would say you have captured it in your response. I was 16 when I had 2 Mohair suits made. I have not had mtm since. In the day it was a 'must have' to have suits made to fit you as previously with Mods and Teds. As teenagers back then work was not an issue and you could always earn well. Clothes were very important. It was not that you particularly had lots of gear like todays youngsters that can buys loads for £100 from Matalan etc. Ours had to be quality and look the part and would then be used for work until they fell to bits or were grown out of.

I cannot recall the last time I heard of anyone having a suit made in recent years and I do not even know where my nearest tailor is. Back then there would be a choice of tailors in just your local high street. I cannot recall the cost of a mtm suit back then but it must have been between £15 & £20 therefore I suppose today you would need to pay £1k to £2k for a decent one now. A lot of people under 40 who where suits in London do not where a tie and although I assume this is fashion it make them look scruffy - a tie completes the smart look. Even at recent funerals where people do not possess a suit I have seen people wearing a bright coloured top coat.

It is said that clothes make'th the man and when we were youngens to go out on a Saturday night with your mtm suit, BS, and Royals you looked smart and felt smart

1 person likes this.
  14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Where was he from MOM? I wonder if there is geographical significance of this point as it rings true with my recollections.

15. roytonboy

For those of a soul disposition.

16. roytonboy

Yes, the lines between 'Mod' and 'Skinhead' are very blurred - again much to do with time and location. My, somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment was in relation to this - Peter may never referred to himself as a Skinhead - I never referred to myself, nor did anyone ever refer to me, as a Mod. We've had the 'suits' debate, but I would add this, I traveled all over the midlands and north of England to watch football, and saw many visiting fans between 1968 and 1972 - I don't recall any being dressed significantly differently to the way we were - a slight time lag the further north of Manchester you went. There was the odd local foible, such as bakers trousers worn on Merseyside, but largely a pretty universally accepted skinhead, then suedehead style and I have been surprised to learn that there was so much variation elsewhere. To me, much of what has been discussed relates more to a Mod look than a skinhead image but as some of you are a little older than me I understand you are talking about clothes for going to clubs in and maybe a little earlier in time. As I have said before, in 1969 and 1970 my main influences were what I saw in and around football grounds.

1 person likes this.
  17. The Syllabus

The Syllabus Well-Known Member

As a kid the first jacket I had was a Budgie jacket. My first Harrington came from Millets!

18. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

A mate posted this Pic on my FB Page of some Kilburn Boys and Girl...Note the lad in the centre Noel..Wearing Rupert's around 71...These are a example of the Rupert's we wore in London.
    They came in three pale colours, lightweight material..nothing like the bright coloured trousers that Noddy Holder and Rupert the Bear wore.

Also worth noting the mixture of cloths ...during the transition away from Skinhead.

[​IMG]

19. Lasttye

Lasttye Well-Known Member

s

20. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

A large-collared, short-sleeved Town Craft BD for sale on the 'bay in the US. Made from a strange polyester-pique fabric. Probably, itchy, extremely flammable and uncomfortable in temperatures over 50 F. Looks alright though.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]