1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

i remember the Mile End mob from west ham .. older and more organised than any other firm of the era .. they sung 'Mile end ' to the snow white 'Hi Ho ' tune - quite sureal turning Disney into a ultra violent ditty

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

i think your mixing up a bunch of parafins with lads who spent a weeks wages on shoes mate

3. bunty

bunty Well-Known Member

The folks here in my little neck of N.London took speed right through the 60's, but not to 'get wasted'. It was taken so they could stay up and dance all night...blah...blah...blah...a cliche, but all true!

The pills (Bennies) were for recreational use only, they were weekend users and didn't get involved in any dealing or any 'heavier' drugs.

The local drug use could be a leftover from them being older (ex) Mods, however I've heard it said that a lot of Skinheads were anti-drugs, that can't be true?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. Inks

Inks Well-Known Member

I don't remember any drugs-proper with anyone I knew. But a couple of the lads I knew that were quite well turned in the beginning who later got on the glue became right states. They got pretty mean and unpredictable too. A lot of kids dabbled, but the ones that got bang into it became proper nutters.
    That's why I asked about the prevalence of the whole solvents issue pre '79, as it seemed to me a relatively new phenomenon at the time and a pain in the arse. My old dear would always check me for glue etc. after I'd been out, and ask me if I'd been hanging around with certain known glue-heads. As we know, there's nothing new under the sun. So I was wondering whether it was my generation that had it bad for the solvents, or did it go back further.

5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I agree.it brings up a picture of people who dress up for a day or two here and there.Regardless of when you we're inspired by the look or however you interpret it.I will never be what I was 45 years ago and I do not kid myself otherwise,but for anyone who chooses to adopt the style and carry it on,it is a derogatory comment IMO.
    I can't help but be respectful of generations of kids who want to plunder the past and find their own identity.I can't help but feel dismayed when they don't see things as I did at the end of the sixties-it was the best three years of my life,.....until I discovered the Faces ;.-)
    Of course I wish everything was as I remember it,and felt the same about that time as I did,but my experience was mine - personal.If that has made a connection with other on the Forum then you know what I mean,if it hasn't then I'm sorry and only hope that you really do have that special few years in your youth that gives you the fond memories that it did me ( and I had a number ).Most kids experimented with how they looked around the time they reached Secondary Modern.These days there's a lot more choices and a lot of distractions.For me there were very few,...actually none.
    Everyone I knew (looked up to) came from Mod.
    it has been a pleasure trawling through my latent memory bank and reading from others with similar experiences.Being branded a liar by someone who doesn't know me or who was still in Nappies back in the Sixties came as a rude awakening as to what participating in an open Forum can entail..Cest la vie.

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

I am slightly surprised at your post,after all you said that you thought that Dick Emery denigrated the skinhead look,so Dick Emery makes skinheads look ridiculous and a middle aged bloke dressing up as a skinhead ( and posting the pictures online ) does not ?.
    Con Man said that he knows a lot of people find it surprising when he tells them what he does ( and he says he couldn't care about there opinion ) Basset has said that he has been ridiculed.
    M-o-M said that the Dick Emery sketch was an indication of how "other people" saw skinheads in the 70s.
    I intend to show a few pictures off this forum to "other people" now,and I will report their reactions.
    Re enactor,is it a term of abuse or a true label ?,I sometimes see some blokes dressed as Viking warriors practising their sword fighting on the Downs ( an open area in Bristol ) I don't think that they ARE Vikings though,just some blokes dressed as Vikings....re enactors..the same when I have seen people dressed as cowboys,roman soldiers etc etc its their interest they are NOT cowboys or roman soldiers are they ?
    Finally this carrying the torch thing IMO that's a red herring,people dress up in a certain way because they want to ( for whatever personal reason ).

7. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

Whilst I’ve nothing against a bloke that dresses like a medieval Viking and sword fights on a weekend (which has got be better than watching X-factor and talking about footy results), that’s not the same as what I do.
    I am a ‘skinhead’. Now I know that may all seem a bit daft and childish but its what I do and how I conduct myself. I’ve been a skinhead since I was old enough to start caring about fashion. Originally this was copying the older lads in town, than a short while later got more into the original look. For me, the better dressed skinhead would be the original skinhead so adopted that style. I’ve since developed a great appreciation for the whole period and take a lot of pride in my clothes, scooters, music etc. There’s plenty of (and I won’t say exactly the same but) similarly minded people who have becomes great friends, partly because of mutual appreciation. So if it seams ‘wrong’ in some way for me to meet up with such people on a weekend and dance to a few old soul records, then I’m not sure what you suggest is ‘better’ or ‘correct’ or dare I say it ‘more normal’.
    Now if you’re gonna dress like a youth from an era that’s long gone, people are gonna mock you for it. But if you do anything a bit out of the ordinary (especially these days), people who know no better will take the piss. The same goes for lads that are really fashionable – they get mocked for being different, even though those doing the mocking will probably be adopting the same look in two years time. Wear a hat and you’ll get kids taking the piss. If you don’t want anyone to look at you, then dress down, keep it boring and blend into the background. Don’t do, say or wear anything that might offend and you’ll go unnoticed. That’s fine but it’s not for me (and wouldn’t be if I wasn’t a skinhead).
    I’m not pretending its 1969, I just choose to dress that way cos that’s the image I like and if I’m going to do it, I prefer to do it full-on, with attention to detail. I don’t just stick on a button down shirt cos I’m going out with me re-enactor friends. Why would you want to do something but be shit at it? And that goes with anything you do. For me being a skinhead isn’t like how it was for the originals. I get that – I’m not stupid. But just because that time has passed doesn’t mean I can’t take a great look as my own (despite being ‘not normal’ and not being able to pick up a pair of comfy slacks in Next)
    Now I’m not saying you should all be like me. If you were, I’d be off doing something different as its in my eccentric nature. But if you think that my image is ridiculous, akin to the Dick Emery character then you clearly know nothing about me. The Emery character is a typical cheap gag based on a stereotype – comedians have done this for decades about black, Indians, hippies, goths … the list is endless as it’s an easy way to get people on-side an say ‘let’s laugh at the one that’s different’ – no different to picking on the ginger kid at school. A cheap-dig, and nothing more.
    Taking my picture and showing it to your ‘normal’ friends and reporting back. Oh, come on. Look, look, here’s a bloke who’s over 40 and dresses like its 40-odd years ago – ha ha what a cunt – what do you think? Then your Man-at-C&A friends with their mainstream views and clothes that their wives bought them will say “well, that’s just ridiculous”. Then you can come back on here and say, with pride, like you were right all along “see – I told you so!”
    I don’t really care what you wear. And if you catch me on the “old men with nothing better to do chatting about drab clothes that suit their persona, with some hope that others will agree to put them at ease for their conservative choices” forum, saying you should get some decent skinheads shoes, then please have a word with me for talking out of place.
    In the mean time, this forum was set up so old skinheads and people with similar interests could chat about the old days, what they wore, what they did and what it meant to them. Its put a lot of things on context and has been (if you can sift through the shit that inevitably comes with it) an enjoyable and educating read.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

Agreed

9. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Well-Known Member

In 1969 I was involved at the start of this movement and for me I never wanted it to end. It was the best and most memorial time of my life. Even though with 35 year marriage and wonderful family those few years are very special. Every thing was happening and everything was in order

Now after those times passed I have still kept in contact with the lads from that era and would would meet up yearly and talk and laugh about old times. The battles seam to have had more opponents and the other lads had grown in size but our comrade could be picked up again as if no time had lapsed. We have not met up for around the last 10 years - no particular reason but we now see each other now at funerals for old gang and associates people. How time fly's

My comment is that I had thought any opportunity of being able to talk with people who had experienced the skinhead period of 1969 to 1971 would have been a no no as who would want to discuss that era as many people who were there were not necessary keen to remember it and at the time were pleased to move on to the next fashion rather than be a dinosaur. Call me a dinosaur but I loved it and found it hard to let go.

This forum has become a pastime of reading like minded thoughts and experiences. I was surprised how the younger people who became skinheads in the later 'waves' were also dedicated to their own era. But each era have their own memories and experiences and view on how they should be

I have met Buttons on a couple of occasions and he is approx 20 years younger so what would we have in common? For a start he is 'the trainspotter' of skinhead fashion and accessories information and should be a curator of a skinhead museum. I was there in 69 when it was all happening and we would say purchase a Ben Sherman shirt and if it looked what was being worn we just bought it and wore out and when it was worn out after wearing it for work - we threw it out. Buttons would know where it was made, the height of its collar, the inside leg measurement of the seamstress etc etc

Its the younger people who have taken an interest in this period that have the detailed knowledge - I on the other hand only have the memories and I enjoy talking and passing on my memories because a) he wants to know because he is genuinely interested and b) I want to share these experiences with people who want to know before I forget those times

Likewise I have met up with BrownieCJ a few times and he is a couple of years older and I have learnt things from him that fall into place with gaps in my memory

This forum / thread may wander sometimes but where else are you going to find somewhere you can share memories or find out in depth information of a subject that is not mainstream

10. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

Good post Aces,It saves me having to write something similar!
    I don't see the need for any 'aggro' on this forum. It is easy to ignore anything that you consider unimportant or irrelevant. I sometimes post stuff that, strictly speaking,might be outside the confines of the subject but I find you can sometimes get a relevant response by doing so.

On the subject of drugs, my crowds drug of choice was alcohol. Earlier mods dabbled in purple hearts etc but that wasn't our scene. A little cannabis was smoked by some but that was seen as a bit hippie and therefore rejected. Anyone glue sniffing would have been seen as a down and out cnut.
    With drinking it was important to be able to 'hold' your drink. Any sign of drunkenness was frowned upon. We all got drunk of course but it was nothing to boast about. We were growing up and to show we were 'men' we had to maintain control. Until it all 'kicked off', that is.

11. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Well-Known Member

Thank-you Bob. Roytonboy had asked why the Look has such an enduring appeal and I replied with my personal perspective of why it appeals to me. As you get older you realise that thought and ideas are not formed in a vacuum and I wondered if anyone else might have a similar perspective?

Anyone else having a problem posting? I have been struggling to post anything for the last two days (hence my tardy replies!). A message comes up saying it is a technical fault and to try again later!

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Taken july 19, 1969. Tottenham
    [​IMG]
    Lots of stories in that picture. I guess he was more on booze than on pills. Is he waiting to play is record?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

No problems posting here - I have kept away since my little outburst last week!

I have been very encouraged by posts over recent days with people talking about 'what they want from the thread'. It helps us appreciate that we are all unique and all want something slightly different. I am interested too in buttons saying that he is a skinhead - everyday and all day. That is quite different from the man (or girl) that simply dresses up as one at the weekend.

I was a skinhead, but I am not now. My wardrobe gives a definite nod to skinhead but I don't seek out period pieces or overtly skinhead stuff. My objective is to be 'well-dressed' as I see it. I have never claimed to be a Dandy but others have placed that tag on me. If the term means a simple elegance then that is indeed what I aspire to.

We mustn't forget that this thread is hosted by Styleforum and IMO is therefore first and foremost about style. There is no need for aggro as Mr Badger says and I hope we can all tolerate a bit of going off track from time to time. Let us try to be stylish in the way we debate skinhead style!

14. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

Is he looking at a bare and slightly hairy bottom just in front of him?!

15. Clouseau

Think It's an elbow, but well what does he imagine?

That's him today. Steve. Found his pics on Flickr. He says : "In 1969, I was into being a skinhead, was quite difficult but loved Reggae Music."
    [​IMG]

16. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

I have never met anyone on this Forum and can only go by the images posted to form an opinion.I do not believe any of the people you quoted lampoons or satirizes the look?
    I have only commented and been critical of the color of someones shirt and the stance of a jacket pocket.This was an opinion offered by me as I (wrongly) assumed that the bloke aspired to wearing a particular look,and as I was around at the time and he wasn't,it was positive criticism as I saw it.It was taken as an insult unfortunately.
    I only write and offer what I personally recall,thinking that it may offer some guidance to those as interested in the style as I once was?I thought that was the spirit of this thread?
    From what Buttons has posted,I think he carries off the look admirably (as do others).I don't personally believe I could (or desire to) do it at 56. I found his multi tkt pocket suit amusing and never recall actually seeing one like that "Back in the day" but I did see wildly exaggerated vents,buttons etc, so I do not doubt it existed somewhere in the quest for one upmanship.
    My Dick Emery comment was based on his character as a whole (image/accent/education/career).If you didn't know better,a kid today could view that "Character" and period and assume that Skinheads were a bunch of thick ,uneducated morons.Who in their right minds would find that appealing?
    Most kids today have no idea what a Ted was.If they were to only have the negative image that was portrayed in the media,or pictures of scruffy cunts,70's revivalists who never really took it seriously etc. etc. then that to me is a real shame.
    I'm with Buttons on the point of "Why do something half arsed?"
    This thread is just one of hundreds to explore and express opinion that are relevant elsewhere on Styleforum .There is IMO no need to dilute this one.
    That is if you share my thoughts that this is a thread from a specific period and time frame within?

17. buttons

His braces have got a lot wider but a lot of things expand when you get older! Did he say much else?

18. Clouseau

No that was all. Apparently his name is Steve Isar. I hope he won't mind i used his pictures. But well it's for a (bloody) good cause!

19. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Well-Known Member

What's the record label? My first reaction was Stax, but that was all blue, then I thought Decca.

20. buttons

I thought it was PYE. e.g.
    [​IMG]